VOGONS

First post, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This is the motherboard I use for bench testing most of my ISA, VLB, and PCI cards under DOS and Windows 3.1.

http://www.elhvb.com/mobokive/archive/epox/ma … uals/486spm.pdf

I'm really pleased with this motherboard and its versatility, but I've always been a little confused by the CPU selection jumpers. Here's the part of the manual that addresses the matter.

486spmcpu.JPG
Filename
486spmcpu.JPG
File size
56 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Right now, I'm using an Intel 486SX2-66, and there are two "Resister Packs" (like a long, skinny 10-pin thing), one on S4 and one on S6. It works perfectly. However, I want to test some AMD 5x86 and Cyrix 5x86 CPUs, and I'm not sure what the difference is between S4 and S7 when it comes to the AMD 5x86. Or for the P24D I'm running now, for that matter, which seems to be fine with S4 and S6. I assume that both packs have to be inserted.

Would you use S4 or S7 for an AMD 5x86-P75? Or any idea what the logic is behind the combo of the two packs?

Here are the other jumper settings that have to do with the CPU.

486spmcpu2.JPG
Filename
486spmcpu2.JPG
File size
66.79 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
486spmcpu3.JPG
Filename
486spmcpu3.JPG
File size
35.81 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Reply 1 of 15, by Aublak

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
boxpressed wrote on 2020-05-22, 17:24:
This is the motherboard I use for bench testing most of my ISA, VLB, and PCI cards under DOS and Windows 3.1. […]
Show full quote

This is the motherboard I use for bench testing most of my ISA, VLB, and PCI cards under DOS and Windows 3.1.

I'm really pleased with this motherboard and its versatility, but I've always been a little confused by the CPU selection jumpers. Here's the part of the manual that addresses the matter.

486spmcpu.JPG

Right now, I'm using an Intel 486SX2-66, and there are two "Resister Packs" (like a long, skinny 10-pin thing), one on S4 and one on S6. It works perfectly. However, I want to test some AMD 5x86 and Cyrix 5x86 CPUs, and I'm not sure what the difference is between S4 and S7 when it comes to the AMD 5x86. Or for the P24D I'm running now, for that matter, which seems to be fine with S4 and S6. I assume that both packs have to be inserted.

Would you use S4 or S7 for an AMD 5x86-P75? Or any idea what the logic is behind the combo of the two packs?

486spmcpu2.JPG
486spmcpu3.JPG

I found this board without its EPROM chip. Is there anyway you can share the bios?
I haven't been able to find it online.

Reply 2 of 15, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Aublak wrote on 2020-09-24, 15:59:
This is the motherboard I use for bench testing most of my ISA, VLB, and PCI cards under DOS and Windows 3.1. […]
Show full quote

486spmcpu.JPG

486spmcpu2.JPG
486spmcpu3.JPG

I found this board without its EPROM chip. Is there anyway you can share the bios?

My saddest event in years was my crappy PSU blowing up and taking this board with it earlier this year. If anyone has a BIOS, I would also be interested!

Reply 3 of 15, by Aublak

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
boxpressed wrote on 2020-09-24, 17:31:
Aublak wrote on 2020-09-24, 15:59:
Show full quote

486spmcpu.JPG

486spmcpu2.JPG
486spmcpu3.JPG

My saddest event in years was my crappy PSU blowing up and taking this board with it earlier this year. If anyone has a BIOS, I would also be interested!

Sad. I'll let you know of any updates then.

Reply 4 of 15, by mt777

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I started repair this mobo (damaged socket) and can share with dump

Attachments

• Filename
    bios.zip
    File size
    84.64 KiB
    Downloads
    46 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • 20211127_221213.jpg
    Filename
    20211127_221213.jpg
    File size
    882.41 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 6 of 15, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have added the bios here : https://www.ultimateretro.net/en/motherboards/6241 (thanks aublak for notifying me).

By the way could one of you help to add a photo of that board to ultimateretro ? 😉

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 7 of 15, by mt777

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I didn't fix this mobo and made photos for sale purposes.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1Ur2cY … -92?usp=sharing

Attachments

• 20211205_123144a.jpg
    Filename
    20211205_123144a.jpg
    File size
    1.27 MiB
    Views
    File license
  • 20211205_123152.jpg
    Filename
    20211205_123152.jpg
    File size
    1.56 MiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 9 of 15, by Aublak

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
mt777 wrote on 2021-12-10, 22:33:

I didn't fix this mobo and made photos for sale purposes.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1Ur2cY … -92?usp=sharing

It's unfortunate that you couldn't repair it.

I have a question. What Eprom does the mobo use? I have only one blank AM27C010 but I don't want to waste it to find out.

Reply 12 of 15, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've been away from Vogons for a while and just saw these updates. I'd like to try a new BIOS on my beloved board. Is there a service where I can buy an already flashed EPROM from someone?

Reply 13 of 15, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have a programmer (or three 😀 ) and can write EPROMs. I don't have this particular type of EPROM chip though. If you send me one, I'll program it for you. It doesn't have to be blank, I can erase EPROMs too.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 14 of 15, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
stamasd wrote on 2022-01-25, 14:16:

I have a programmer (or three 😀 ) and can write EPROMs. I don't have this particular type of EPROM chip though. If you send me one, I'll program it for you. It doesn't have to be blank, I can erase EPROMs too.

Thank you! I will try to source one and will get back to you.

Reply 15 of 15, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

No problem. Send me a private message when you do.

Also, many old boards take EEPROMs too, and those are easier to deal with (erasing takes a few seconds in a programmer rather than 15 minutes under an UV lamp). I have successfully used EEPROM chips on boards as old as IBM 5160 without a problem. I only have EPROMs and EEPROMs up to 64kx8 though, none 128kx8.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O