VOGONS

Reply 20 of 42, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
matze79 wrote on 2020-05-27, 07:42:

Can a Taxi Driver really tell the difference between 20$ ATX and a HQ one ?

What kind of statement is that, please? There's no relation between occupation and knowledge, neither regarding the field of one's occupation, nor in any other.

Reply 21 of 42, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

if a shop needs to bring up such reviews on their main page it clearly must suck somehow.
Also the reviews did not change in years..

Its not very uncommon that a taxi driver is not a electronic professional.

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 22 of 42, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
derSammler wrote on 2020-05-27, 07:52:
matze79 wrote on 2020-05-27, 07:42:

Can a Taxi Driver really tell the difference between 20$ ATX and a HQ one ?

What kind of statement is that, please? There's no relation between occupation and knowledge, neither regarding the field of one's occupation, nor in any other.

Agreed in principe, but in practice here the reviews seem fake, as if a range of 'normal people' such as old lady, taxi driver etc have responded to give confidence to potential buyers (a typical feedback fraud trick), without adapting the 'normal people' to the target audience of the site. It reeks of hiring a cheap & lazy reputation fixing company with absolutely no affinity with the site itself or its buyers.

Reply 23 of 42, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I guess their original target group was small businesses and individuals looking to replace individual broken parts to keep their setups running.
They probably never adapted their marketing. I wonder what percentage of their business retro hardware enthusiasts amount to anyway.

Reply 24 of 42, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have no great love for electromyne but I ordered CPUs from them twice and their shipping costs were reasonable, their communication was great and the items were immaculate. I'm sorry to hear about your pain, but make sure you raise the issue with them..

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 25 of 42, by Nemo1985

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Talking about electromyne, I bought a Prolink PixelView GeForce2 Ti VGA TV-Out AGP Graphics Card MVGA-NVG2TA 64MB W/TV last week, I received it today and this is what I got:

photo_2020-06-03_11-25-54.jpg
Filename
File size
157.51 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

So yeah, I can confirm they are used to attach random heatsink to videocards, I will test the card later to check if it works fine but I think it's going to be undersized, this is the picture of the original heatsink:
https://www.electromyne.com/images/large/105991a.jpg

Reply 26 of 42, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Nemo1985 wrote on 2020-06-03, 11:05:
Talking about electromyne, I bought a Prolink PixelView GeForce2 Ti VGA TV-Out AGP Graphics Card MVGA-NVG2TA 64MB W/TV last week […]
Show full quote

Talking about electromyne, I bought a Prolink PixelView GeForce2 Ti VGA TV-Out AGP Graphics Card MVGA-NVG2TA 64MB W/TV last week, I received it today and this is what I got:

So yeah, I can confirm they are used to attach random heatsink to videocards, I will test the card later to check if it works fine but I think it's going to be undersized, this is the picture of the original heatsink:
https://www.electromyne.com/images/large/105991a.jpg

The HSF combo is inferior but it's sufficient to cool the chip (assuming it works). Regardless of what's sufficient or not you received a different product than what was advertised. That's not ok.

Reply 27 of 42, by Nemo1985

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Doornkaat wrote on 2020-06-03, 11:16:

The HSF combo is inferior but it's sufficient to cool the chip (assuming it works). Regardless of what's sufficient or not you received a different product than what was advertised. That's not ok.

That's right but what could I do? I bought from their website not ebay...
Thanks

Reply 28 of 42, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I ordered my GeForce 4 MX-460 and quite a few other parts from them and shipping to the states was reasonably priced and quick. My parts were all package well and worked.

Reply 29 of 42, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Nemo1985 wrote on 2020-06-03, 11:44:
Doornkaat wrote on 2020-06-03, 11:16:

That's right but what could I do? I bought from their website not ebay...
Thanks

I don't know were you're from (and subsequently wich laws apply to that sale) and wether you payed with PayPal (who will almost always decide in favour of the buyer).
At least I would reach out to them, explain the problem and ask for a card that matches the one on their site or a partial refund.
Wether it's worth the hassle is up to you to decide.
I just wanted to say that even though I think the fan is capable of cooling the card I'm certainly not defending them for selling it with another picture.

Reply 30 of 42, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Normally he has to mention that the item is just a Show Item and can actually differ from the Image.
German Law say he has to do so.

If he does, its fine.

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 31 of 42, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
matze79 wrote on 2020-06-03, 14:29:

Normally he has to mention that the item is just a Show Item and can actually differ from the Image.

If he does, its fine.

If he is advertising it as a particular brand and model, and then sends a different brand and model, then that is not ok.

If the listing simply says Geforce 2 Ti with no brand / model information then as long as the buyer receives a Geforce 2 Ti then that is fine.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 32 of 42, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
matze79 wrote on 2020-06-03, 14:29:

If he does, its fine.

It isn't that simple. The seller has specified a very certain model of the card. You can argue the heatsink design is an integral part of the card. A scratch or a slight difference in colour isn't an issue. A different heatsink might be, especially since in this case it has another vendor's logo on it and isn't as capable of cooling the card as the original.
Had they simply advertised a generic Geforce 2 Ti graphics card the cooler wouldn't have mattered. But the HSF combo is part of the Prolink PixelView GeForce2 Ti.

Reply 33 of 42, by Nemo1985

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thank you all for the tips. The link on the electromyne page says:
"Beispielbild - Abbildung ähnlich / Example Picture - Image similar"
I'm going to post the link to the product page, if it is against the rules please feel free to edit my post:
https://www.electromyne.de/public/catalog_xml … 023686577&ln=gb

I can try to reach them out and see what they answer, I live in Italy and yes I paid with paypal.

Reply 34 of 42, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Nemo1985 wrote on 2020-06-03, 17:15:

while this might be legally sound, I still think this is not ok, if anything they should write that these are recycled cards and might have different coolers attached, just call it what it is and don't mislead customers into buying what they think is this particular card.

Reply 35 of 42, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Nemo1985 wrote on 2020-06-03, 17:15:
Thank you all for the tips. The link on the electromyne page says: "Beispielbild - Abbildung ähnlich / Example Picture - Image s […]
Show full quote

I'm going to post the link to the product page, if it is against the rules please feel free to edit my post:
https://www.electromyne.de/public/catalog_xml … 023686577&ln=gb

I can try to reach them out and see what they answer, I live in Italy and yes I paid with paypal.

Again, I'm convinced that since they advertise a certain model of card the phrase "Beispielbild - Abbildung ähnlich / Example Picture - Image similar" does not justify a completely different HSF. A customer will regularly use images on a webshop to get an impression of the article they're buying. A webshop can also regularly update their images to represent the actual article that's being sold. A customer will not regularly assume that only the parts directly tied to technical functionality are similar.
Also electromyne advertised a specific card model from a specific vendor and that specific card uses that specific HSF. They would have to specifically point out the card may come with a different HSF or not advertise a specific card and mention that the picture is simply a placeholder and does not represent the product AT ALL. Therefore in this case the phrase is in violation of § 5 Abs. 1 Satz 2 Nr. 1(and possibly Nr.5) UWG.
German courts have even ruled that in most online offerings a picture is more binding than the article description. (OLG Hamm 4.8.2015, I-4 U 66/15 ; OLG Hamm 5.6.2014, I-4 U 152/13)

Anyway, only the most special of customers will actually fo to court over a heatsink on a card that cost less than 30€ so that's probably irrelevant.

What's relevant is that PayPal almost exclusively sides with buyers and if you try to get a reasonable partial refund they will most likely grant it. If electromyne does not reply, open up a case with PayPal and request a partial refund. The case does not cost any money and is free of risk. The only thing you might lose is time. 😉

Reply 38 of 42, by leonardo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
user33331 wrote on 2020-05-25, 12:42:

Waited 1 day no answer.
I lost hope on them and will order from ebay next time to save time and money.

A whole day, eh? Give the guy a chance to respond.

Usually you can expect a response within 2-3 business days. I would begin to worry if there was no response after a week.
Also, it does seem the images of the products are not necessarily of the exact item you will receive, based on the disclaimers that people have posted above.

The irony of your last statement is that electromyne also operates on eBay. 😉

[Install Win95 like you were born in 1985!] on systems like this or this.