VOGONS

First post, by kwyjibo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So I recently adquired a Celebris XL 5133. It came with one of the two CPU sockets populated. The question is, according with the manual it seems that adding a 2nd CPU is as simple as plugging it in the empty socket.

However inspecting the CPU daughter board I can see there are some unpopulated capacitors. Also there is a strange module present with also missing components (it is in fact totally unpopulated).

Anyone with experience upgrading this model?

P.S.: I attached some pictures to show what I am talking about.

Attachments

Reply 1 of 8, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

May get a few pointers here (is the bare card a low-end VRM 'shunt')

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/comp. … dec/0-UV82O9fRQ

plus the service maintenance manual is still available online

Filename
celebris_xl_590.pdf
File size
2.84 MiB
Downloads
69 downloads
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 3 of 8, by eindbaas

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
kwyjibo wrote on 2020-05-28, 13:36:

Thanks.

For what it is commented in the Google Groups archive it seems nothing additional is needed to upgrade to a 2nd P133. I will test right away.

Recently I acquired such a motherboard too and I've been asking myself the same question too. The manual isn't too clear about it.

Did you manage to add a 2nd cpu and get it working with the unpopulated "vrm" in the end?

Reply 5 of 8, by eindbaas

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks 😀. I guess it's quite safe to check it for myself then. But first I have to recap the power supply. It turns off after being turned on for a few seconds. It's a proprietary psu so a normal AT psu won't work.

Reply 6 of 8, by davidrg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
eindbaas wrote on 2024-03-05, 21:28:

Thanks 😀. I guess it's quite safe to check it for myself then. But first I have to recap the power supply. It turns off after being turned on for a few seconds. It's a proprietary psu so a normal AT psu won't work.

Your machine is a Celebris XL as well?

I've got a Prioris LX 575 which uses the same case and it also turns itself off, tough it manages to run for a bit longer before doing so with the run time decreasing each time I turn it back on. I wonder if its the same model PSU with the same fault - I've not yet got around to taking it apart and recapping it to see if that fixes it.

Reply 7 of 8, by kwyjibo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

In my machine I noticed that sometimes it won't start. I help the front fan to spin and it seems to work every time that way... Could it be that it has some logic to check fans at startup?

Reply 8 of 8, by eindbaas

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
davidrg wrote on 2024-03-05, 22:34:
eindbaas wrote on 2024-03-05, 21:28:

Your machine is a Celebris XL as well?

I've got a Prioris LX 575 which uses the same case and it also turns itself off, tough it manages to run for a bit longer before doing so with the run time decreasing each time I turn it back on. I wonder if its the same model PSU with the same fault - I've not yet got around to taking it apart and recapping it to see if that fixes it.

It's the motherboard and powersupply which are identified in this topic: DEC mainboard - help needed identifying it. My Prioris LX 5150 seems to have the same case as your LX 575, but the power supply of mine is not identical to the one of the Celebris XL.