VOGONS

Retro Hardware Collecting rants

Topic actions

Reply 860 of 934, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

How about when someone on a site posts: AT Computer Motherboard 8 ISA Slots for sale.
Condition:“Tested & Working”
And this is the picture....
Hmmm sure that should work just fine w/o the BIOS chip and KBC but what do I know ;p

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    Filename
    s-l1600.jpg
    File size
    314.79 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 861 of 934, by kdr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
imi wrote on 2020-10-08, 21:55:

well... don't ask me how the plastic didn't shatter.

I unscrewed the frame and snapped it back together, but I can hear loose parts inside will have to take a deeper look :c
...would have been in really good condition too.

Nooooo.... another 1084 bites the dust!

I hope you're able to save it. Maybe the loose bits are just some plastic fragments. [One can hope.]

Reply 862 of 934, by pixel_workbench

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Horun wrote on 2020-10-08, 23:33:
How about when someone on a site posts: AT Computer Motherboard 8 ISA Slots for sale. Condition:“Tested & Working” And this is […]
Show full quote

How about when someone on a site posts: AT Computer Motherboard 8 ISA Slots for sale.
Hmmm sure that should work just fine w/o the BIOS chip and KBC but what do I know ;p

That reminds me of sellers who post "tested working" graphic cards (like an fx5700) with a clearly missing heatsink/fan.

My Videos | Website
P2 400 unlocked / Asus P3B-F / Voodoo3 3k / MX300 + YMF718

Reply 863 of 934, by canthearu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
How about when someone on a site posts: AT Computer Motherboard 8 ISA Slots for sale. Condition:“Tested & Working” And this is […]
Show full quote

Lol, no chance in hell he had that going, with SIPP memory modules required and missing processor (in addition to missing BIOS and KBC)

Reply 864 of 934, by SodaSuccubus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Show full quote

Oh I recognize that seller 🙁

Nothing makes me cringe harder then people who deal with computer parts often and yet still take pictures of them *on carpet!*

Atleast put a anti static bag down first!

Reply 865 of 934, by Shreddoc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nintendo Wii U's (<--sorry, I'll get that odd one out of the way immediately), Roland MT-32s, MIDI modules galore, Gravis Ultrasounds, PWM screens, SVGA CRTs, Monster Sound MX300s, Voodoo graphics cards, DB50XGs, my 286 from 1991, my SBPro2 from 1993, my 486 from 1994, my IBM Pentium from 2000, my Pentium II's, the Tualatin mobo/chip/RAM combo I've lost somewhere in the house and can't find for-love-nor-money-grrr!, I want all these things and many more. Even the ones I already have! which sadly, of the list above, is "only a few of them".

But in most cases the world, and time, have conspired to either remove them from my grasp permanently or, at least make the aspiration a very financially expensive one! 😀 Ah well, first world problems. (looks around at 6 surrounding machines of awesomeness in this room alone) I'll live.

Reply 866 of 934, by TechieDude

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
devius wrote on 2020-09-22, 10:38:

That's interesting. These are machines you probably didn't have much (or any) contact with when they were new, and people I know that are into this hobby are usually older and had these machines growing up, so what's it like looking at these machines that are older than you?

It's actually quite fascinating, and I generally enjoy tinkering with stuff, mainly computers, but not exclusively. I like learning about stuff, and I always find something I didn't know about computers, even old ones. I also like to see first-hand-ish how far we've come since then, not to mention the awesome games that were available on them that for whatever reason don't work, or just work better/feel more authentic in their "natural habitat", even though I don't really go period-correct in my builds. Or well-made OPL2/3 music that still doesn't sound quite right on emulators. Anyway, I find it hard to justify having anything older than Socket5/7, though I still want to build a 486 or two 😉 I also like the challenge in getting them to work and repairing them if necessary. Knowing how to setup resources on a ISA add-on cards or maximising conventional memory in DOS, while not really useful nowadays, is still interesting to me.

I'm not so sure about that. At least over here it's still possible to find good deals if you search and are patient. You just need to talk to people when you see they are selling some computer parts. Some times they have more and it can be older stuff they thing is not worth mentioning in an ad. Other times there is nothing more. The "hunt" is part of the fun.

The thing is, if I had started now, I wouldn't know where to look, or even WHAT to look for. And to be frank, I'm not quite at my best shape mentally and emotionally. The current prices and the pandemic have also made this harder, considering bazaars opened for only a little bit, and closed again, not to mention jobs getting harder to find. The classifieds in my country rarely have anything particularly interesting to me. I only bought things from classifieds like 5 times, and for various reasons only one of them actually works. I'll keep in mind your advice to ask, though. Bazaars on the other hand, are loaded with all kinds of old stuff, that surprisingly more often than not is actually decent and working (or worth fixing). On Ebay only once (Pentium E5800's are dirt cheap!). The 'hunt' is part of the fun, but not so much fun if you can't even find anything close to what you're looking for, or all you find is overpriced. Imagine your first purchase being something very expensive (e.g. a Voodoo 5) and it turns out it was broken, or it wasn't even what was listed to begin with. Sure, you might be able to get a refund, but it doesn't inspire confidence... Of course, having been into this hobby for so long, I know where to look, but there always is more to know than we already do.

Reply 867 of 934, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

anyone else having issues with ebay atm.?
I can't checkout on any auction, I just get greeted by an error message and try again... have tried on my phone, different browser etc. no dice.

Reply 869 of 934, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
pan069 wrote on 2020-10-20, 20:49:

I "watched" an item on eBay the other day. 30 mins later the price was raised by $30. 🤔

Too many people watching it, sellers know.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 870 of 934, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
pan069 wrote on 2020-10-20, 20:49:

I "watched" an item on eBay the other day. 30 mins later the price was raised by $30. 🤔

That's why I prefer to add things to my basket. Sellers can't see that, and if I am interested in multiple items from the same seller, they are grouped together and can be paid as a single payment.

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 872 of 934, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm pretty sure they can't see it, but I must admit I do get offers for things I watch that way. I think that's just how ebay works though, as I sometimes get offers for items I have only viewed as well.

Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 873 of 934, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I do tend to average 350 purchases a year though , anything from £1 and up 😀

Reply 875 of 934, by Big Pink

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
pan069 wrote on 2020-10-21, 09:34:

Some guy on ebay is charging $80 AUD (~55 USD) for shipping an ATX I/O back plate from the states to aus. 😆

Last year I saw a US seller list a PC133 DIMM for a reasonable amount. The $232 transatlantic shipping cost not so reasonable. I'm visualising a stick of RAM sitting in first class.

I thought IBM was born with the world

Reply 876 of 934, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The absurd shipping price is not necessarily what the seller manually set. On eBay, the shipping methods are chosen by the seller but eBay and the shippers set the shipping prices. The seller probably has no idea that those shipping prices are showing up.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 877 of 934, by schmatzler

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You can set up your own shipping prices though. Either you create a general table for the countries you want to send to or you can enter them manually when you create an auction.

Never trust the automatic process. 😀

So it doesn't hurt to ask the seller to adjust the shipping price if you really want an item.

"Windows 98's natural state is locked up"

Reply 878 of 934, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If they ship through eBay's Global Shipping Program, the prices are set for them, and they are very high, because eBay uses a courier service.

I routinely ask sellers from countries where I know the actual shipping via regular postal service can be much cheaper, if they are willing to ship overseas on their own, and if so - how much they want for shipping. About 1 in 3 times I found that we could agree on reasonable shipping prices this way.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 879 of 934, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've found that the global shipping program rates have usually been cheaper on the other hand... though I'd still advise anyone to be careful of them as they like repackaging things in completely inadequate packaging to save on shipping.

I've had a US seller once ask me to double up on shipping costs after the sale, even though shipping was already reasonably high for an item that wasn't particularly big or heavy... needless to say that deal didn't go through... but I still ended up losing money on it as I had to pay currency conversion fees twice, once for payment and once for the refund... silly.