Retro Hardware Collecting rants

Topic actions

Reply 840 of 934, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Hanamichi wrote on 2020-09-23, 13:47:
I know what you mean, it was shown as the box, manual, cd and padded ESD bag. Could not identify the gpu through the bag. […]
Show full quote

I know what you mean, it was shown as the box, manual, cd and padded ESD bag. Could not identify the gpu through the bag.

It was 15 quid shipped internationally, guess the seller threw away the box.

Agree with you, overseas classifieds are the only places I can get decent priced boxed stuff, eBay is insane for prices.

However, I understand if you sell your kit someday, and you want to buy it back or another retro part of equal rarity it will cost the same crazy 'going rate' so there are few winners.

Tell that to the boxed items I have gotten for cheap off of eBay.

Latest was a sealed Audigy 4 Pro
Audigy 2 ZS right before that

Probably the 5 best were:
CMS-401 (MPU-401 clone)
Gravis Ultrasound v2.4
Aztech sound card with Turtle Beach RIO attached
Turtle Beach Tropez Plus (paid the most for this).
Guillemot Maxi Studio Isis (sealed)

Also have 3x boxed Aria 16 sound cards I grabbed off of eBay as well as a decent amount of other boxed stuff.

I don't even really search for boxed items as I usually don't care about them. They just pop up every once in a while in my normal saved searches.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 841 of 934, by Hanamichi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
imi wrote on 2020-09-23, 14:26:
uff, that's harsh not even the box :( I had that happen to me once, bought a boxed Hercules Kyro 4000XT... well for the box, sin […]
Show full quote

uff, that's harsh not even the box 🙁
I had that happen to me once, bought a boxed Hercules Kyro 4000XT... well for the box, since I already had the card.

what did I get? just the card... seller threw away the box because it was "damaged" 😦

Ouch, Hercules box too. Some people still can't believe a buyer will want the box and either dispose of it or send it without protection in a plastic bag 🤣.

Did you get a refund?

Reply 842 of 934, by Hanamichi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
cyclone3d wrote on 2020-09-23, 15:22:
Tell that to the boxed items I have gotten for cheap off of eBay. […]
Show full quote
I know what you mean, it was shown as the box, manual, cd and padded ESD bag. Could not identify the gpu through the bag. […]
Show full quote

I know what you mean, it was shown as the box, manual, cd and padded ESD bag. Could not identify the gpu through the bag.

Agree with you, overseas classifieds are the only places I can get decent priced boxed stuff, eBay is insane for prices.

However, I understand if you sell your kit someday, and you want to buy it back or another retro part of equal rarity it will cost the same crazy 'going rate' so there are few winners.

Tell that to the boxed items I have gotten for cheap off of eBay.

Latest was a sealed Audigy 4 Pro
Audigy 2 ZS right before that

Probably the 5 best were:
CMS-401 (MPU-401 clone)
Gravis Ultrasound v2.4
Aztech sound card with Turtle Beach RIO attached
Turtle Beach Tropez Plus (paid the most for this).
Guillemot Maxi Studio Isis (sealed)

Also have 3x boxed Aria 16 sound cards I grabbed off of eBay as well as a decent amount of other boxed stuff.

I don't even really search for boxed items as I usually don't care about them. They just pop up every once in a while in my normal saved searches.

Congrats I do like Turtle Beach products.

It seems a bit hard these days in the UK. I managed to get a Sealed Audigy ZS card from the USA for $15 a few years ago.

Now you got this guy 🤣 (not me!) an extreme case: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Soundblaster-Audig … ed/153459632041
Question is would you sell your boxed bargains cheap?
Of course not as you treasure them and rightly so.. as time goes by there must be a finite and dwindling supply of boxed good condition cards.

Reply 843 of 934, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Hanamichi wrote on 2020-09-23, 15:45:

Did you get a refund?

nnnope.

they were like "what you you want!? you got the card didn't you?"

but the worst offender was the person I bought a boxed Terratec EWS64 XL from... they used the original box as shipping box, only a bit of plastic wrapping, and tape all over it. ...*sigh*
though I think the plastic wrapping was actually done by the forwarding service I use, as the original shipping label was beneath that.

Reply 844 of 934, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
imi wrote on 2020-09-23, 16:09:
nnnope. […]
Show full quote
Hanamichi wrote on 2020-09-23, 15:45:

Did you get a refund?

nnnope.

they were like "what you you want!? you got the card didn't you?"

but the worst offender was the person I bought a boxed Terratec EWS64 XL from... they used the original box as shipping box, only a bit of plastic wrapping, and tape all over it. ...*sigh*
though I think the plastic wrapping was actually done by the forwarding service I use, as the original shipping label was beneath that.

Uggghhhh. I hate it when they do that.

Easiest way to get the tape off of a box is to use a hair dryer to heat up the tape.. and keep it heated up while carefully pulling it off.

Then to get the left over sticky residue off.... usually lemon essential oil works great but citrus based furniture polish works as well and is going to be gentler on the box.

Shipping tape is easy... duct tape not so much.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 845 of 934, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

yep, removed the tape with the help of my heat gun, but it was really difficult in some places as the top layer of the cardboard had already partly delaminated, also the box got obviously roughed up from shipping too.

Reply 846 of 934, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well since you guys are already discussing boxes:
My rant is boxes. I'm not really that much of a collector I guess. I just don't care for boxes. Still I get an item complete in box every now and then. I appreciate the driver disc or bundled software but what should I do with the box?
I know I don't have to keep it. I could even sell it individually. But I also know that my item is worth much more with the box than without and both combined are worth more than both individual.
So I keep the box in case I ever decide to trade or sell whatever belongs in the box. The box doesn't make me happy, I only want to use whatever shipped in it. But I keep it just so I don't feel stupid for getting rid of it.
And subsequently I feel stupid for keeping the box.
Can anyone relate at all? 😅

Reply 847 of 934, by RaverX

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I used to be like that, I didn't care at all for the boxes. But something happened along the way, now I think that a boxed item is much, much better. Especially for videocards from the 90s, the boxes are so cool.

Reply 848 of 934, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
RaverX wrote on 2020-09-23, 20:43:

I used to be like that, I didn't care at all for the boxes. But something happened along the way, now I think that a boxed item is much, much better. Especially for videocards from the 90s, the boxes are so cool.

For hardware, I actually go mid-way, due to space constraints . I have some really old box art stored away, but not the actual boxes . That is for retro stuff . Most of the modern stuff has unremarkable box art and I usually do not care much for it .

Reply 849 of 934, by Hanamichi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
RaverX wrote on 2020-09-23, 20:43:

Has been exactly the same process for me. Not caring before but now, I just need a small shrine to the cards I always wanted/had 😁

It is the box art and seeing the box as if it was in a physical shop (do they still have those?) that increases the build up of excitement to play with the retro gear.

To be fair if I had a photo grade A3 printer, I would be very happy with reproduction boxes like they do for console games and it would be a lot cheaper!

Reply 850 of 934, by Hanamichi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
imi wrote on 2020-09-23, 16:35:

yep, removed the tape with the help of my heat gun, but it was really difficult in some places as the top layer of the cardboard had already partly delaminated, also the box got obviously roughed up from shipping too.

Nice work to restore it a bit. I need to wise up on how to clean and preserve boxes as weird as that sounds

Reply 851 of 934, by Bondi

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Guys, does anyone have a paid account at worthpoint.com? Need to check one single price, but they charge USD 22 per month. I'd probably paid a quarter of that, but not the whole price for just one lookup.
Could someone help?

PCMCIA Sound Cards chart
archive.org: PCMCIA software, manuals, drivers

Reply 852 of 934, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Seeing how the thread derailed earlier I think it may be best to just avoid the subject of pricing altogether.
In case you didn't know you also get a free trial with that website for seven lookups within seven days. If you have exhausted that option I think it would be fair to start paying for their service.

Reply 853 of 934, by Bondi

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I haven't tried the free trial. As I understood it's not really free, but just a postponed payment. You leave your payment details and they charge you in a week.

PCMCIA Sound Cards chart
archive.org: PCMCIA software, manuals, drivers

Reply 854 of 934, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don't have an account for worthpoint but I do snag images off their site every once in a while..

Seems like a really scammy site to me... but what do I know? Maybe some people find it worth it to pay $22 a month to look up old prices.

My take is that if I can't find sold prices on eBay then the older sold prices are not really valid anyway.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 855 of 934, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

when you expect a package with a nice computer and CRT inside, and you hear the postman coming, so you go down and look out the window, and sure enough :3

you get rushed with excitment, as you watch them rolling the package off the bed, dropping it onto the road while a few other packages come toppling down with it... you freeze in horror.

Reply 858 of 934, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dr_st wrote on 2020-10-08, 17:17:

The computer survived and the postman didn't?

He's probably in jail for assault and this is why we're not getting any updates.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 859 of 934, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

well... don't ask me how the plastic didn't shatter.

I unscrewed the frame and snapped it back together, but I can hear loose parts inside will have to take a deeper look :c
...would have been in really good condition too.

welp.jpg
Filename
welp.jpg
File size
118.04 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0