VOGONS

First post, by infiniteclouds

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Does anyone have one of these monitors? It should be absolutely glorious but I'm having issues with the colors and brightness. The thing that seems really odd to me and beyond it just needing to be serviced is that the screen dims or brightens depending upon things like... window size?? If I have a maximized firefox window the whites will dim.... but if I shrink the window those same whites will then brighten. Has anyone experienced anything like this before on their CRT?

I am currently using it with a DVI to VGA converter on a Titan Black -- and have seen the same issue in both Windows XP and Windows 7. I have yet to see if it's any better with an older machine that uses pure VGA GPU. I was also concerned that it might have been damaged by an application I have that automatically started with Windows (7) for on LCD monitor which adjusts bluelight (.flux). I disabled it after about 5 minutes when I realized that it was on. Could that have damaged the monitor?

Reply 1 of 10, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Seen this brightness drifting issue mentioned against the preset SuperBright modes on the 2070SB but don't think the 2060U has those. Maybe your monitor app messed with the default temperature setup - maybe try a factory reset. Suppose it could be an internal power issue - more white (screen) / more power draw?

http://www.mitsubishielectric.com.au/2351.htm

Service Manual - http://ftp.qrz.ru/pub/hamradio/schemes/monito … nd-pro-2060.pdf

Reply 3 of 10, by infiniteclouds

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Damn, this sucks. It's such a great monitor I'll definitely need to hunt down someone with cathode ray experience like an old TV repair guy here in downstate NY.

Thanks for linking the service manual should definitely make it easier.

Reply 4 of 10, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
derSammler wrote on 2020-06-10, 10:09:

I know this from very cheap as well as from aging monitors.

According to your experience, could it just be a power delivery (possibly capacitor related ?) issue or is it necessarily the tube itself degrading ?

Reply 5 of 10, by infiniteclouds

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I can't speak to derSammler's experience but my CGA Tandy CM-11 is obviously much much older and probably has a lot more run time on it and is brighter than the Mitsubishi. Granted VGA monitor is more complex and so more can go wrong? Still. I never did just get rid of my CRTs back in the day I was a late adopter of LCD. My high res NEC monitor - don't remember the model but it was black - died before my 1998 Dell CRT. In retrospect I wish I kept both of them and tried to get them repaired. I won't make the same mistake with any of the ones I currently have. I will find someone who can tune up, refurbish, or whatever is needed.

Low-res FMV/cutscenes just look SO much better on them. I wish they'd stop trying to push higher resolutions (I don't even want to HEAR 8K) and give us a new display tech that has true multisync like CRTs did.

Reply 6 of 10, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
infiniteclouds wrote on 2020-06-13, 03:20:

I can't speak to derSammler's experience but my CGA Tandy CM-11 is obviously much much older and probably has a lot more run time on it and is brighter than the Mitsubishi. Granted VGA monitor is more complex and so more can go wrong? Still. I never did just get rid of my CRTs back in the day I was a late adopter of LCD. My high res NEC monitor - don't remember the model but it was black - died before my 1998 Dell CRT. In retrospect I wish I kept both of them and tried to get them repaired. I won't make the same mistake with any of the ones I currently have. I will find someone who can tune up, refurbish, or whatever is needed.

Low-res FMV/cutscenes just look SO much better on them. I wish they'd stop trying to push higher resolutions (I don't even want to HEAR 8K) and give us a new display tech that has true multisync like CRTs did.

I wonder if someday a combination of ultra high resolutions and ultra high refresh rates will allow for quasi-integer scaling of low res content along with a simulated line scanning/drawing effect (along with simulated phosphor persistence) that would more closely mimic a CRT . I am not talking about simulated scanlines or pixel shader effects that blur/soften/simulate mis-convergence/simulate screen curvature, but an actually simulated raster scan .

EDIT: Yes I am aware that it would require refreshing the screen at the rate of the actual pixel clock of the simulated resolution (no need for blanking, at least), though it might be sufficient to refresh each simulated line n times per frame duration where n is the number of pixels per line in the simulated resolution, essentially simulating one electron gun per line and offsetting each "active" pixel by one on each following line . So for 320x200 @70Hz , instead of a 4.48 MHz refresh rate, we could make do with a 22.4KHz refresh rate, which is still huge . Hey, I can dream .

Reply 7 of 10, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Does the geometry also change with this ? I.e image expands with the brightness decrease ? There's a good chance it is caused by HV drop, and it can inidcate weak flyback transformer as I doubt it was like it when new...
Replacing few capacitors on the main power rails can also help a little bit probably not cure the issue.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 8 of 10, by infiniteclouds

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There are no geometry issues but there are two very, very fine lines that divide the screen into perfect thirds... they are hardly noticeable unless the screen is a single color. I wonder if there's just something going wrong with the monitor? The brightness-on-the-fly issues went away for now, at least.

Reply 9 of 10, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
infiniteclouds wrote on 2020-06-15, 03:21:

There are no geometry issues but there are two very, very fine lines that divide the screen into perfect thirds... they are hardly noticeable unless the screen is a single color. I wonder if there's just something going wrong with the monitor? The brightness-on-the-fly issues went away for now, at least.

The fine horizontal lines are normal on an aperture grille monitor (Diamondtron or Trinitron) .

EDIT : See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aperture_grille

Reply 10 of 10, by infiniteclouds

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't remember them on my NEC from the early 2003s -- but maybe I just forgot? It's weird that there are only 2 of them. It's great monitor but I'm glad I have a 17" Philips 107E4 that is a shadow mask, as well. DOS games -- particular their cutscenes like the intros to Tomb Raider don't look great on this monitor. Though they look a whole lot better than on an LCD, that's for sure