Reply 20 of 40, by pan069

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SuperSirLink wrote on 2020-06-10, 19:50:
pan069 wrote on 2020-06-10, 19:43:
Planet-Dune wrote on 2020-06-10, 19:34:

Another stupid question now that i am asking them.. if i want to switch power supplies.. do these 4 things at the power button come off or should i remove the screws and move the entire black box with the 4 still attached? If they come off does it matter in what order i attach them in the other case?

I guess it depends on which power supply you want to switch it with. but, I think the on/off switch belongs to the case, not the PSU. I have seen on/off switches that have a special "tiny cap" on the actual on/off switch pin to reach the button on the case and without that tiny little cap, any other standard on/off switch would not work because it won't reach the button on the front panel.

So, yes, I would detach the cables and leave the switch on the case.

I have never seen that being the case...

See photo. I'm sure it's not common, that's why I'm pointing it out. I was changing PSU's in a system from AT to ATX with an AT/ATX converter and when I installed the new on/off switch I noticed that I could not turn on the system. The power button didn't push in far enough. Then I noticed that the old AT on/off switch had a tiny little removable cap that extends the length of the on/off push pin but just 1 1/2 mm. Without that cap, you'd have to glue something on the new switch itself. Not a major problem I guess... But, in some cases the switch is custom (or has customizations).

All I'm saying is, keep an eye on it...

oeZrp5R.jpg

Reply 21 of 40, by Planet-Dune

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ok after further investigating it does not seem i can swith those boxes.. but while on ons psu those 4 cables go off real easy.. on the other they seem one assembly??? On the grey block it was real easy.. those on that black block seem to be not meant to come off?? Is that possible??

Attachments

Reply 22 of 40, by SuperSirLink

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
pan069 wrote on 2020-06-10, 20:01:
See photo. I'm sure it's not common, that's why I'm pointing it out. I was changing PSU's in a system from AT to ATX with an AT/ […]
Show full quote
SuperSirLink wrote on 2020-06-10, 19:50:
pan069 wrote on 2020-06-10, 19:43:

I guess it depends on which power supply you want to switch it with. but, I think the on/off switch belongs to the case, not the PSU. I have seen on/off switches that have a special "tiny cap" on the actual on/off switch pin to reach the button on the case and without that tiny little cap, any other standard on/off switch would not work because it won't reach the button on the front panel.

So, yes, I would detach the cables and leave the switch on the case.

I have never seen that being the case...

See photo. I'm sure it's not common, that's why I'm pointing it out. I was changing PSU's in a system from AT to ATX with an AT/ATX converter and when I installed the new on/off switch I noticed that I could not turn on the system. The power button didn't push in far enough. Then I noticed that the old AT on/off switch had a tiny little removable cap that extends the length of the on/off push pin but just 1 1/2 mm. Without that cap, you'd have to glue something on the new switch itself. Not a major problem I guess... But, in some cases the switch is custom (or has customizations).

All I'm saying is, keep an eye on it...

oeZrp5R.jpg

I see what you are referring to... You could remove that bracket and use that same spacer... Yes if the case has parts like that, you need to use them on the replacement. But the switch itself will be the same dimensions. And in the case of that one you would want to keep it with the PSU since there are only two conductors instead of four...

Reply 23 of 40, by Planet-Dune

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ok its deattached.. though i managed to break one of the pins.. guess i wont be using that power button anymore.. good thing it was on the throwaway case... last question. Does it matter in what order i attach the 4 pins on the other power button?

Attachments

Reply 24 of 40, by SuperSirLink

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I would unscrew the switch from the case, there is a screw holding the silver plate to the face. Then remove that silver plate from the switch. That copper/gold plate of the switch is a standard mounting surface. If you get a new AT power supply it will have that same switch, then screw on the silver plate, as Pano69 was describing, that part is specific to the case...

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/pc-power-s … at_s-it-called/

Reply 25 of 40, by Planet-Dune

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Disregard my previous msg, ok this is the case.. cant seem to think it matters what order ...

Attachments

Reply 26 of 40, by Planet-Dune

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Can anyone tell me if it matter the order I attach the 4 PSU cables to the 4 power button pins? The PSU that previously was connected to this power button had 2 black and 2 white cables, but these 4 come in black, white, blue and brown...

Reply 28 of 40, by Planet-Dune

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
imi wrote on 2020-06-10, 20:47:

of course it matters ^^

just connect them the same as the previous switch, same side same order.

best to measure the old switch.

I have no clue anymore how they were on the previos switch... i just figured the two whites were on one side and the two blacks to the other, then when looking at them realized the colors are different on this psu...the 4 pins on the power button are exactly the same with absolutely no indication of anything... if it matters how am I to figure that out.... and more importantly how do i figure what goes where?

Reply 29 of 40, by Planet-Dune

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ok I found a shot I took with the 4 attached.. does that mean i just need to put then in the same orientation on the new block? and why are the colors of the old psu different ? how could you even know what goes where there if you have two blacks and two whites...

Attachments

Reply 30 of 40, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

you could guess, if you go by the part in the middle of the switch and attach the same two on the same side as on the old one, but I wouldn't trust that 100% at least, I'd test each side for continuity.

Reply 31 of 40, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Planet-Dune wrote on 2020-06-10, 19:45:

Hmm conflicting replies. I did try removing the four cables first but they seem very hard attached again so was starting to doubt they even are meant to come loose..

Yes, you can remove the four cables, the switch uses spade connectors which can sometimes be very tight. But it's a good idea to remove the switch first, since using too much force to remove those connectors can lead to snapping the plastic standoffs the button is screwed to.

Reply 32 of 40, by Planet-Dune

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ok so here are two screenshots, one of each connector when the PSU was attached. I want to replace the PSU with the 2 black and 2 white cables with the PAU with the 4 different colors.. can i just put them same orientation in there? (Cant select on color as the colors are different)..

Attachments

Last edited by Stiletto on 2020-06-11, 18:56. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 33 of 40, by SuperSirLink

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You will have to identify what those conductors are. Do you have a multi meter? Please be careful and don't apply mains power till you know for sure what you have. At least one of those lines is high voltage.

Reply 35 of 40, by Planet-Dune

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
SuperSirLink wrote on 2020-06-10, 21:19:

You will have to identify what those conductors are. Do you have a multi meter? Please be careful and don't apply mains power till you know for sure what you have. At least one of those lines is high voltage.

I have no multimeter.. but i figure i can do the most logical thing which seems to me this:

Attachments

Reply 37 of 40, by Planet-Dune

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Wait wait wait.. igot this on the label though i am unsure what orientation they mean with it... i tgink my guess would have been wrong.. or isit.. dont understand that label diagram (what orientation they mean)

Attachments