VOGONS

First post, by keenerb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Googling returns countless adapters to use your XT keyboard with USB port, but nothing for using an USB keyboard on an XT or AT keyboard system.

Anyone know of a project along these lines? Possibly using a raspberry pi or arduino as a protocol interpreter?

Reply 1 of 10, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
keenerb wrote on 2020-06-11, 21:23:

Googling returns countless adapters to use your XT keyboard with USB port, but nothing for using an USB keyboard on an XT or AT keyboard system.

Anyone know of a project along these lines? Possibly using a raspberry pi or arduino as a protocol interpreter?

Adapters to connect a USB keyboard and mouse to AT/PS2 keyboard and PS2 mouse ports do exist .

Re: USB mice still available in retail stores/online with PS/2 protocol compatibility

Not cheap and not easy to find

Reply 3 of 10, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
keenerb wrote on 2020-06-11, 22:47:

Yeah, and then I could daisy chain that to one of my PS2 -> XT keyboard adapters I suppose...

And maybe fit in a KVM too , hope you like latency .

Seriously, my guess is these adapter were designed to retro-fit big old expensive KVMs to work with newer USB servers .

EDIT: Wait that does not make sense at all .

Last edited by darry on 2020-06-11, 23:28. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 7 of 10, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
babtras wrote on 2020-06-12, 02:33:

So more like this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-and-PC-AT-PS-2-t … r-/143516239687 (But a less eyewatering price perhaps)

Eye-watering ? For a homemade project build, that does not seem that bad . It's not cheap, by all means, but this thing is definitely not mass-produced . You have to pay for the convenience of not having to source your own parts, including a custom PCB (more expensive if you don't buy in volume), not having to program that PIC micro-controller and not having to hand-solder and debug the thing . I dare say that the seller actually deserves a bit of profit too .

Just to be clear, I have no link to the seller and I do not vouch for the quality of the product or the service, my comment was solely about the asking price vs the perceived value .

Reply 8 of 10, by babtras

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You're right, I take it back. I've become mindful of how expensive a hobby, that sometimes involves dumpster diving, can be when adding up the eBay purchases I've made over the year. They add up FAST and as a result, even $35 USD will make me second guess whether it's something I need or if it is something I could find on AliExpress for $10. But if I were to design and construct such a device, selling at $35 each might hardly be break-even if they're not manufactured in large volumes.

Edit: Just looked at the listing again and realize it says $25, not $35. I misread it when I first looked.

Reply 9 of 10, by keenerb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a feeling that will only work for the USB keyboards with native PS/2 support built in, not all keyboards support tohse passive USB - PS2 cables, will they?

I think I'll pick one up just to see though.

Reply 10 of 10, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
keenerb wrote on 2020-06-12, 12:39:

I have a feeling that will only work for the USB keyboards with native PS/2 support built in, not all keyboards support tohse passive USB - PS2 cables, will they?

I think I'll pick one up just to see though.

Just like with USB/PS2 mouses, it only works if the device itself supports both protocols.

Being passive, they don't convert the signal.