VOGONS

First post, by GabrielKnight123

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have installed an Adaptec SCSI PCI card with one hard drive I have it working and formatted but on my first hard drive I have C, D, E, F partitions for Dos and the SCSI drive is making its self as D: so everything gets moved around. I am using this string in my config.sys:

DEVICEHIGH=C:\SCSI\ASPI8DOS.SYS /D

I looked for a manual with string settings but I cant find one to change it to be the G: drive.
The SCSI card is an Adaptec AVA-2902E/i

Reply 1 of 3, by eisapc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Problem might be the partition type on your SCSI disk.
DOS sorts primary partitions in favour of logical partitions.
Creating an extended partition with logical drives on the SCSI drive may solve your problem.

This has nothing to do with the driver due to the BIOS routines handling up to 2 disks automatically.
The driver loaded ist the ASPI driver only, for disk support the aspidisk.sys driver is needed in advance.
You might try the Adaptec EZ-SCSI setup still downloadable from microsemi for an automatic driver installation.

Reply 2 of 3, by GabrielKnight123

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks eisapc that worked I made a logical partition with smart fdisk without a primary as a primary shows up as D: but now my SCSI drive shows as G:

I have 5 of the same SCSI hard drive some of them have jumpers on them and some dont I dont know what most of the jumpers do but I read through the jumper settings here:

http://ps-2.kev009.com/basil.holloway/ALL%20P … /dors_sp68w.pdf

on page 25 it mentions about these jumpers I dont know what jumpers 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 7, 8 and 11 do, can someone explain these please for use in Dos.

Attachments

• SCSI Jumpers.jpg
    Filename
    SCSI Jumpers.jpg
    File size
    1.65 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 3 of 3, by eisapc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

1-4 are SCSI ID of the drive to set between 0 and 7 (or to 15 at wide SCSI) where 7 is usually the SCSI host adapter.
6 is SCSI Bus termination
the others are for special use usually dont touch.
Or look for some detailed descriptions of SCSI bus protocol.