VOGONS

Reply 21 of 25, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
maxtherabbit wrote on 2023-02-20, 03:34:

Not a module as such. Just a RTC IC

Exactly this. Many boards have traces to support the DS12885, an external 32768Hz quartz crystal and a CR2032 battery option, but that option is almost never populated. I half-converted the DS12887 into a DS12885: The modded module uses an external battery, but it still uses the internal potted quartz crystal.

Reply 22 of 25, by mockingbird

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Since we're a bit off topic, I hope no one minds another slight deviation on my part:

I got fed up with my Asus VL/I-486SV2GX4 in my rig and installed the HOT-433 in its stead. I think the SIS VLB implementation on the Asus was premature and buggy (another story for another thread).

So far, everything works fine, exept that the BIOS does not like the way I have my CF Card set up. On the Asus, I had it configured thusly in the BIOS:

TYPE: User
SIZE: 1669
CYLS: 974
HEAD: 255
PRECOMP: 0
LANDZ: 15537
SECTOR: 63
MODE: LBA

Mind you, with a PCI IDE card inserted in the HOT-433, this works fine, but with these settings in the BIOS, I get message on boot that the HDD has failed.

Also, when I input these settings in the Shuttle, it (correctly) reports the size of the CF Card as 8011M (whereas the Asus reports it as 1669MB).

I could probably get this working if I wipe the CF card and start fresh, but I already have several partitions on it and would rather not. And it is detected by the BIOS despite the error.

Any other suggestions?

mslrlv.png
(Decommissioned:)
7ivtic.png

Reply 23 of 25, by Disruptor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mockingbird wrote on 2023-02-21, 00:58:
Since we're a bit off topic, I hope no one minds another slight deviation on my part: ... Mind you, with a PCI IDE card inserted […]
Show full quote

Since we're a bit off topic, I hope no one minds another slight deviation on my part:
Mind you, with a PCI IDE card inserted in the HOT-433, this works fine, but with these settings in the BIOS, I get message on boot that the HDD has failed.
Any other suggestions?

I'm not sure whether your topic has anything to do with adding a PS/2 mouse port to a UMC based 486 motherboard.

And, yes, we use a HighPoint PCI IDE controller in that mainboard to overcome the PIO limitations.

I suggest you to create an own topic for that issue.

Reply 24 of 25, by mockingbird

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Disruptor wrote on 2023-02-21, 21:29:

<snip>
And, yes, we use a HighPoint PCI IDE controller in that mainboard to overcome the PIO limitations.

I decided to follow a different route. PIO mode will be sufficient for this setup. I'm using a 16GB SSD with a SATA to IDE bridge on the UM8886BF controller. I have it set up as master along with a DVDRW as slave on the primary. Using both primary and secondary had issues.

The best thing I suppose would be an Ultra 133 TX2, which works with RLOEW's TRIM. I tested it with this setup and it worked... But I thought it was a bit excessive (and I think it was responsible for stuff not being loaded high into memory).

mslrlv.png
(Decommissioned:)
7ivtic.png

Reply 25 of 25, by citronalco

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
mockingbird wrote on 2022-12-26, 02:49:

The PS/2 worked perfectly fine with my Avocent KVM (tested with Microsoft Mouse driver and Monkey Island). All I can suggest is to try a different KBC. I used a Mega-KB revision F. I must have pulled this thing off of something decades ago. I never thought I would end up using it.

Indeed: Using a Mega-KB (labeled "Mega-KB-HW-P"), mouse and keyboard do work without any problems on the Belkin OmniView Pro KVM.
The erratic keypresses I had when using the KVM switch are gone. Was using a AMIKEY-2 before. Thanks for the hint!