VOGONS

First post, by muon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a ISA Paradise vga with 512 kb video memory. How I can test the 256-512kb memory range?

The checkit and other testing utilities test 0-256kb video memory range but not 256-512kb memory range.

How I can test that range?

Reply 1 of 6, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That's an issue because the normal VGA standard has a max. of 256KiB, but you want to test features of "Super VGA".
The hardware register to check memory essentially can hold either the values "false" or "true" only.
Depending on these, a program can only check if the card has full VGA RAM or less.
Hence CheckIt! say "256KiB or more". 😀

The simplest idea that comes to mind:
If you want to check the rest of RAM, either load a VBE 1.x TSR and use a picture viewer.
Or run a program that supports the card directly.

A pack of old VBE TSRs can be found here: Re: OAK OTI-037c - 800x600 mode ?
They may work (or not work) better than UniVBE.

Paradise PVGA1A/PVGA1B and Western Digital WD90c00 are the same from a software point of view.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 2 of 6, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Re: Testing VRAM on older cards under DOS?

My choice for testing RAM on ISA SVGA cards is X-VESA.
It requires VESA BIOS Extensions, which some early SVGAs lack in their ROM BIOS, so an additional utility is necessary - eg. UniVBE.

Żywotwór planetarny, jego gnijące błoto, jest świtem egzystencji, fazą wstępną, i wyłoni się z krwawych ciastomózgowych miedź miłująca...

Reply 4 of 6, by muon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Grzyb wrote on 2020-06-23, 22:05:

Re: Testing VRAM on older cards under DOS?

My choice for testing RAM on ISA SVGA cards is X-VESA.
It requires VESA BIOS Extensions, which some early SVGAs lack in their ROM BIOS, so an additional utility is necessary - eg. UniVBE.

Where I can get X-VESA?

Reply 5 of 6, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
muon wrote on 2020-06-24, 17:41:

Where I can get X-VESA?

ftp://ftp.elf.stuba.sk/pub/pc/utildiag/xvesa102.zip

Żywotwór planetarny, jego gnijące błoto, jest świtem egzystencji, fazą wstępną, i wyłoni się z krwawych ciastomózgowych miedź miłująca...