VOGONS

AdLib vs Game Blaster

Topic actions

Reply 21 of 26, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you want a perfect recording, real hardware is a must.
Even more: with analog signal, it's impossible to avoid some noise, so it's necessary to capture the digital signal.
See eg. https://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/2015/02/ … -recording.html

Żywotwór planetarny, jego gnijące błoto, jest świtem egzystencji, fazą wstępną, i wyłoni się z krwawych ciastomózgowych miedź miłująca...

Reply 23 of 26, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Mark_81 wrote on 2020-06-26, 19:11:
how to record Videogames music in good quality? I'm not going to buying real retro-hardware and configuring a 486 IBM What good […]
Show full quote
Mark_81 wrote on 2020-06-26, 18:38:

Deksor
Dos Box is not Good for audio recording?

how to record Videogames music in good quality?
I'm not going to buying real retro-hardware and configuring a 486 IBM
What good options do I have ?what do you recommend?

Best you are going to get is for MT-32 supported stuff by using MUNT.

You are never going to get even close to perfect anything else though the FM is probably ok... NukedOPL is going to be the best emulated FM there is right now.
Digital audio is probably going to be just fine if you are wanting to record Sound Blaster sound effects.

Emulation is almost never going to sound exactly like real hardware.

You can pass audio from DOSBox to real hardware though. That way you could use DOSBox with real audio hardware. All you need is a USB to ISA adapter and the special build of DOSBox from the company that makes and sells the adapters:
http://www.arstech.com/install/ecom-prodshow/usb2isar.html

Then you configure DOSBox to pass the sound to the ISA card instead of using emulation.

If you are wanting to record General MIDI music from games, then you can just get a Roland SC-55, etc. and a MIDI interface and do it that way though DOSBox.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 24 of 26, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The CMS was already outdated technology when it came out. It's basically tweaked PCjr-type sound, a system that came out in 1983....but the CMS came out in 1987. In my opinion such a sound option would have been quite popular on the PC if it had been introduced with the 5150. It's actually quite well suited to CGA games.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 25 of 26, by mpe

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I get why the CMS is technically inferior (although it has more voices and stereo compared to AdLib).

I feel in this era vendors we're desperately trying to replicate natural instrument sounds. Digital audio wan't feasible thus FM or wavetable synthesis was a way to go as next closest thing.

OPL2/3 let alone wavetable is closer to that goal than CMS or SID. But I personally enjoy computer sound generated by CMS despite all imperfections and don't try to find flute or grand piano in those sounds. For me it is a distinct sound which I like.

I even like some PC speaker tunes...

Blog|NexGen 586|S4

Reply 26 of 26, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well to me they're their own kind of instruments with their own "feel" and such. That's why I wanted to make that "Sound Blaster" tracker, to use each chip as a different "instrument" (with the exception of the DSP which can replicate any instrument, but only in "low-fi" because it's mono, 22KHz and 8bit and that it takes more processing power".

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative