VOGONS

First post, by Blmlozz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Not sure if external links are allowed but I could not believe it arrived like this and 'clearly' it had been run it's entire life like this!
She's finally free now though and going to be my Dos machine since it's unlocked and I can slow it down for compatibility if needed.
https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comment … t_its_mistakes/

Reply 1 of 10, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Oh I've seen worse ^^
Like a socket athlon with a paper sticker on the chip's die lmao

And also an epic fail from Intel with later pentium IIs : the cache chips should be cooled by the heatspreader ... except the heatspreader is one millimeter too short and don't touch the chips x)

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 2 of 10, by Blmlozz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Deksor wrote on 2020-07-01, 23:01:

Oh I've seen worse ^^

And also an epic fail from Intel with later pentium IIs : the cache chips should be cooled by the heatspreader ... except the heatspreader is one millimeter too short and don't touch the chips x)

wow when do you suppose that started? I had a thought to pickup a 450mhz deschutes later on just to mess around overlocking, the b6H is supposed to be a fair overlocker with voltage/frequency control.

Reply 3 of 10, by zPacKRat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Blmlozz wrote on 2020-07-01, 23:06:

Oh I've seen worse ^^

wow when do you suppose that started? I had a thought to pickup a 450mhz deschutes later on just to mess around overlocking, the b6H is supposed to be a fair overlocker with voltage/frequency control.

Assuming you meant the Abit BH-6, yes they were great boards. not much for fsb overclocking, unless going from 66 to 100Mhz (300a anyone). But with an unlocked multi you should be fine to tinker around. There's an old trick with that motherboard on the ss bios where you up the voltage to the max, then you flash the same bios and that "unlocks" additional voltages. I don't remember the range, but it was a cool find back in the day.

Reply 4 of 10, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Oh I've seen worse ^^

Oh, it was the same way with Slot-A Athlon CPUs. Back in the day, you could buy copper shim kits to fix the problem.

I've seen a laptop with the plastic still on the cooler. The CPU ran sooo much cooler once that was remedied.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 5 of 10, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Blmlozz wrote on 2020-07-01, 23:06:

[...]

The BH6 is a good overclocking board, but the 450MHz Deschutes is the fastest CPU in its category, so one of the worst choices to OC with. A 333MHz Deschutes would be a much better choice, as it was a late, generally low-binned CPU and early ones were multiplier-unlocked too. Those things frequently hit 500MHz. Of course with Klamath/Deschutes/Katmai, cache chips will frequently prove the limiting factor anyway...

Reply 6 of 10, by Miphee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The classic "I won't give $15 to a shop to put my $1500 rig together, I can do it at home!"
They throw the instructions away immediately without ever reading them and wonder why things aren't working properly, then blame everything on shops and manufacturers. Many shops had to tighten warranty conditions because idiots who thought they were IT professionals fried components all the time and tried to RMA them.

Reply 7 of 10, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Meh, I'm pretty sure half of these mistakes were made by a shop employee back then.

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 8 of 10, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Deksor wrote on 2020-07-02, 14:57:

Meh, I'm pretty sure half of these mistakes were made by a shop employee back then.

Definitely was in the case of the laptop.

Then there were the Dell Dimension 4600 towers. Almost every single one I had to work on when I was doing Dell warranty repair had the exhaust / CPU fan installed backwards so it would blow the hot air from the CPU cooler across the RAM and HDD and cook them instead of exhausting the hot air out the back of the case.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 9 of 10, by lordmogul

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Reminds me of DAU alarm, they have a big gallery of stuff like that. Foils left on, chipped Athlons, machines drowned in conductive paste, no paste, paste in the socket, more chipped Athlons, coolers mounted the wrong way, even more chipped Athlons.

Warning, will break your mind and never place down a cooler again:
http://www.dau-alarm.de/gallery.html

P3 933EB @1035 (7x148) | CUSL2-C | GF3Ti200 | 256M PC133cl3 @148cl3 | 98SE & XP Pro SP3
X5460 @4.1 (9x456) | P35-DS3R | GTX660Ti | 8G DDR2-800cl5 @912cl6 | XP Pro SP3 & 7 SP1
3570K @4.4 GHz | Z77-D3H | GTX1060 | 16G DDR3-1600cl9 @2133cl12 | 7 SP1

Reply 10 of 10, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
lordmogul wrote on 2020-07-22, 11:02:

Reminds me of DAU alarm, they have a big gallery of stuff like that. Foils left on, chipped Athlons, machines drowned in conductive paste, no paste, paste in the socket, more chipped Athlons, coolers mounted the wrong way, even more chipped Athlons.

Warning, will break your mind and never place down a cooler again:
http://www.dau-alarm.de/gallery.html

This was actually a pretty good read. Good thing I can also read German but google translate will get you far. Course it's mostly about the pics 🤣
Slipping with a screwdriver I can understand. It took me some practice before I got the technique right so I typically don't make that mistake again (mostly comes down to having good control over any force I apply) and even then, most of the times a slip that isn't with too much force will probably not result in permanent damage.
(and sometimes I'd get things like strange HSFs or HSFs mounted in some odd way, there's always a surprise somewhere when taking apart some unknown rig)
But tearing off complete sockets, I mean wow 😮

Btw, at the "laufwerke" part, very last pic, I've actually used green gardener wires before when doing certain things like securing case fans and except for a single test setup with trying to silence one of THE most loud drives I ever did hear (trying to suspend it) I'd never try using it to mount a harddrive in such a way. I mean on the pic there's actually an empty 3.5in drive bay and with an adapter I've mounted 3.5in harddrives in 5.25in drive bays with no real issue. But still kinda funny to see someone having actually used something similar.

In years of building and handling computers, I've killed surprisingly few parts. And nothing ever came close to what was in those pics 🤣

Good read 😜

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!