VOGONS

First post, by dorkbert

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Does anyone know where jumper settings/documentation can be had for this 386SX board?
Didn't have any luck at Stason.

Attachments

Last edited by dorkbert on 2020-07-03, 17:52. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 10, by rmay635703

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That looks very similar to a DTK motherboard, it’s missing the dipp sockets and my board at least had an Intel chip not AMD.

That Acer chip is confusing me, that board might be an OEM .

Be interesting to find out

As an FYI, I owned a Vertex computer, from what I know they were a medium sized manufacturer/integrator through 1999 when they went under. Might be an Acer board badge engineered for them.

Last edited by rmay635703 on 2020-07-03, 17:23. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3 of 10, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm going to go with Acer. First it has good build quality, and integrated I/O so it's probably from an OEM (from Taiwan). Second, it has an Acer I/O chip. Third, it has a gold plated keyboard port, which seems to be common on Acer boards.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 5 of 10, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
386SX wrote on 2020-07-03, 17:38:

Also integrated HD and FDD controllers? I'd imagine an OEM too, good quality mainboard indeed even if I don't imagine to find a case for such dimensions.. 😁

It's just a standard Baby AT motherboard. It should fit on any AT mini-tower or desktop case from that era (maybe not on those that have smaller MB trays, but that was only on later cases).

Reply 6 of 10, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't remember the official AT specs but that looks like a very large mainboard. But if it fit a generic AT case that's good. Usually when I see mainboards that large I immediately imagine how many problems I'd have installing it into the usual late 486/pentium cases not to mention a later one. Also cause the ram module in the up-right corner wouldn't help in the type of case I usually have installed AT board into. Mostly compact cases where space has always been a problem.

Reply 8 of 10, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't see why it being Baby AT is anything to worry about. Any AT case should be able to accept it. If your AT case can't handle it, then it doesn't conform to AT standards thus it sucks.

Proper full length AT boards are the best. Whenever I see those short ones cost reduction is the only thing that comes to mind. ;D

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 9 of 10, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't like too those mainboards that seems like cutted for cost reduction. But maybe cause the number of type of plastic distancers needed, the cables management, etc.. I always prefer to have some space left. Maybe I wasn't lucky but I always found cases with some problems and never enough the right distancers needed plastic or metals or whatever. 😀

Reply 10 of 10, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Those shorter Baby AT boards suck, in particular when using long slots such as VLB. Usually they don't provide any support in the part closer to the front of the case and will bend horribly when installing VLB cards if one is not careful.

In some cases if you're lucky there are one or two extra holes for installing spacers there, but there are no matching standard AT holes for those in the tray and you need to cut off the bottom part of the nylon standoff to use it.