VOGONS

First post, by VerT

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi guys, I have found (aparently working) an old computer with S370 CPU in it.

The problem is that processor is under Intel A28835-001 cooler - I can remove fan but the heatsink is mounted by very strong metal clip with no obvious removal method and I have no idea how to take it off and still have working PC...

T6cojXx.jpg
38uXT4e.jpg

Last edited by VerT on 2020-07-07, 15:47. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 17, by kalohimal

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Use 2 long nose pliers, one to press the clip downward, the other to push the clip out from the latch. Be careful not to damage the motherboard. You can place a piece of electrical tape beneath to protect the board, in case of any accidental slippage.

Slow down your CPU with CPUSPD for DOS retro gaming.

Reply 3 of 17, by aha2940

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kalohimal wrote on 2020-07-07, 15:47:

Use 2 long nose pliers, one to press the clip downward, the other to push the clip out from the latch. Be careful not to damage the motherboard. You can place a piece of electrical tape beneath to protect the board, in case of any accidental slippage.

Just adding that it is usually better to push the clip from the memory sockets side, since usually there are no other components very near that can be broken accidentally. Take out the memory modules before, of course.

VerT wrote on 2020-07-07, 15:58:

Well it was my idea too - however amount of force required to unlatch this clip makes me uneasy. This is terrible cooler design.

Yes, it is a bad design, but with some practice it can be done in almost no time and with no damage to anything.

Reply 4 of 17, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

there should be a small extra slot on one side of the clip, you can slot in a flat head screw driver there and then comfortably push the clip down and slightly bend it outwards (just pushing it down won't release the clip) without fear of hitting the motherboard, just make sure the screwdriver is firmly seated in there, once the one side has been removed it should just slide off easily.

intel_cooler.jpg
Filename
intel_cooler.jpg
File size
153.25 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Reply 5 of 17, by VerT

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've got it!

tFrZWIc.jpg

I still cannot belive that someone thought it was good idea to make direckt-die coolers with this design. As you can see - die has inprinted itself in cooler base and CPU has chipped corner (probably work of the prewious owner). I hope it still works, will be testing that in week or so. Thaks you all!

Reply 8 of 17, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

For the future, go for the long side of the clip (the upper part on your 2nd photo), that's the end that it's supposed to be pushed down. It can turn ugly if you try it on the wrong end.

Reply 9 of 17, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
VerT wrote on 2020-07-07, 15:58:

Well it was my idea too - however amount of force required to unlatch this clip makes me uneasy. This is terrible cooler design.

For some reason, some of the stock Intel s370 HSFs had these metal clips which were much harder to remove. I ended up starting to push the clip down on one side harder and harder while trying to wedge a flatbed screwdriver between the clip and the plastic socket latch until I had just the right amount of force to use the flatbed screwdriver to push the metal clip from the plastic socket latch.

I'd advice to replace this metal clip with a compatible clip from some other HSF and never use the crappy clip again. It is indeed a terrible design.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 10 of 17, by VerT

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I did go for the longer side of clip - even if I would want to go for shorter one it was blocked by mobo components... Thermal paste crumbled into dust. As I've said - I'll test if everything still works and look into possible solutions (buying SL5QJ with IHS is probably safest bet as I cannot find better mounting clips in my country).

Reply 11 of 17, by Oetker

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Terrible design indeed. Often aftermarket clips have an actual socket for a screwdriver, or a lever you can just grab with your fingers. However, I hate the Intel four-pushpin design even more.

Reply 13 of 17, by Miphee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Bad design is one thing but it's downright evil. Instead of using metal hooks they used plastic that is under constant strain from the cooler's spring clip.
I've seen a lot of these plastic hooks broken off. Luckily there are 2 sets of these hooks on a single socket but the other one is designed for a different cooler.

Reply 16 of 17, by Marentis

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I remember that a friend of mine crushed an Athlon 1200 when it was brand new, it had a chipped corner and was dead. Many coolers of that era are really annoying.

And AMD CPUs were a tad easier to break than Intel CPUs back then.