VOGONS

First post, by pan069

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So, I had this PCPartner MVP3BS7 Socket 7 board laying around that I hadn't tested yet, so I thought I'd check it out.

Long story short, the CPU cooler overhangs the AGP slot (facepalm).

Is any cooler actually going to fit on this board while having the ability to use the AGP slot?

IMG_20200710_180758.jpg
Filename
IMG_20200710_180758.jpg
File size
567.5 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
Last edited by pan069 on 2021-07-09, 10:31. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 1 of 9, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Tinnier cooler with a slightly different way of attaching should work. Maybe you can reverse just the attach so it doesn't get in the way ?

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 2 of 9, by Oetker

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There's many different clamp types, and yes just reversing its orientation might also work (make sure the reversed clamp doesn't make the cooler sit at an angle).
Sometimes you run into annoying stuff on older boards, with my Pentium MMX my Voodoo 2's tail end would touch the CPU cooler, I just had to put some cardboard in between.

Reply 3 of 9, by pan069

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I managed to "bend" the top part of the clip far enough back so that it no longer "overhangs" the APG slot. It was quite tricky because the metal on these clips it really tough and brittle (high in carbon?).

Anyhow. It all seems to work now... Just had to vent a little... 😀

Last edited by pan069 on 2021-07-09, 10:31. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 4 of 9, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ok, that I never saw iirc 🤣
Most I seen was clamps overhanging some of the RAM slots 😜

Perhaps it could be a good idea to isolate the protruding part of the (now bent back) metal clamp with some isolating tape or something? If only to prevent any potential future mishaps in regards to getting an accidental short.
A little piece of tape should be well worth it considering it basically costs nothing.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 5 of 9, by pan069

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thought I post an update. So, I managed to bend the clip and it works well. No protection tape needed, but it couldn't harm I guess. It's also not possible to orient the heatsink the other way around, then the heatsink "wobbles" and, then the clip would overhang the memory slots. This solution worked out OK.

It's just that would expect socket 7 motherboard designers to be aware of these thing and would try to align the CPU socket so you you don't have to go through these sort of exercises.

IMG_20200712_154612.jpg
Filename
IMG_20200712_154612.jpg
File size
455.33 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 7 of 9, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
pan069 wrote on 2020-07-12, 05:56:

Thought I post an update. So, I managed to bend the clip and it works well. No protection tape needed, but it couldn't harm I guess. It's also not possible to orient the heatsink the other way around, then the heatsink "wobbles" and, then the clip would overhang the memory slots. This solution worked out OK.

It's just that would expect socket 7 motherboard designers to be aware of these thing and would try to align the CPU socket so you you don't have to go through these sort of exercises.

IMG_20200712_154612.jpg

It could also be that at the time, most of the heatsinks didn't have a push clip (like the one in your pic), but rather one where you'd stick a flathead screwdriver to push it down.

My 2 cents.

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 9 of 9, by Socket3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
candle_86 wrote on 2020-07-12, 17:30:

You can always rotate the cop, just remove the fan and physically rotate the clip 180 degress

^this. But going trough the trouble of removing the fan is not needed - simple small socket 7 heatsinks like the one in the pic do not cover the latch mechanism part of the cpu socket, and the clip can slide inside the cooler - as such you can rotate the whole cooler 180 degrees so the clip ends up on the other side.

Last edited by Socket3 on 2020-07-12, 19:20. Edited 1 time in total.