VOGONS

First post, by Nic-93

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi all, am using some 3com isa card called 3c509b-c , do somebody know of an complete driver set with this particular card?

Reply 3 of 16, by lowlytech

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I had similar issues hosting files on modern systems and kept running into ntlm issues with older win3.1 clients. I ended up moving all my hosted folders to a FTP server and this seemed more consistent when using something like ws_ftp and mTCP on older clients.

Reply 5 of 16, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Nic-93 wrote on 2020-07-13, 01:08:

Do you know one similar like mtcp for windows 3.11?

Just grab the telnet and ftp clients from Windows for Workgroups 3.11. They work in my 286 Win 3.1 set up just fine.\
You'll need Trumpet Winsock with winpkt loaded first.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 7 of 16, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
jakethompson1 wrote on 2020-07-13, 03:53:

Why bother with Trumpet? Try MS TCP32B instead. It comes with an FTP client. Of course this depends on you having a driver for it besides a packet driver.

In Windows 3.11? You must be joking. It doesn't support networking but Windows for Workgroups 3.11 does though and can use tcp32b. Trumpet Winsock works perfectly fine in Windows 3.11.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 13 of 16, by jakethompson1

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Caluser2000 wrote on 2020-07-13, 06:46:

In Windows 3.11? You must be joking. It doesn't support networking but Windows for Workgroups 3.11 does though and can use tcp32b. Trumpet Winsock works perfectly fine in Windows 3.11.

That's a good point, "Windows 3.11" I assume is WfW which sounds like is the case here, but may not be always.
I've never looked into whether the tcp/ip stack that comes with MSIE 3.x is dialup-only or can also do Ethernet.

Reply 14 of 16, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeh WFW seemed to ship more often then not once 3.11 was out, enough that people simply dropped for workgroups.
But this was early days of networking and MS branding wasn't so much in your face so plenty of people installed Trumpet Winsock on 3.11 WFW as thats what the Windows 3x guide said you had to do to get on the internet.

As for WS FTP, no idea never used it myself but you could send a PM to the guys on the other post.
Personally I use windows networking. It's slow, a bit temperamental and have to copy files from my daily PC to a XP which can then copy to 3x so no not the most efficient but feels more authentic IMHO

Reply 16 of 16, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Caluser2000 wrote on 2020-07-13, 06:46:
jakethompson1 wrote on 2020-07-13, 03:53:

Why bother with Trumpet? Try MS TCP32B instead. It comes with an FTP client. Of course this depends on you having a driver for it besides a packet driver.

Which version of trumpet works on 286? I tried 3.0d and it crashed trying to run the installer

EDIT: found version 2.0B which works great. Now to search for 286 compatible software that can use it