VOGONS

First post, by Mattyice1994

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello!

I'm currently looking at a few possible PSUs, and I'm hoping I can get some input as to which you all would recommend.

I'm willing to recap (haven't really done it before, but I feel fairly comfortable with a soldering and desoldering iron) , but I'd like to start with the best possible chance at a good AT psu.

I'm looking at Enlight, Aopen, Channel Well (CWT), Delta, Compaq OEMs (Delta Dps models), Star (Micronics?), and a Sanwel (cannot find ANY info on the internet about Sanwel. Super weird. Looks vintage though.)

The CWT is maybe new old stock.. so I really like that idea, but I don't know if it matters with a PSU?

One of the Enlights *apparently* was heavily used in a Win 98 machine, and *apparently* had any suspect/damaged caps replaced.

The Aopen was quite intriguing to me also, apparently it is FSP?

I'd love you all to weigh in before I make a purchase. Thanks!!

Last edited by Mattyice1994 on 2020-07-11, 18:07. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 13, by Mattyice1994

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
gdjacobs wrote on 2020-07-11, 21:17:

The Delta AT PSUs I've seen are built like a tank.

Yeah that's what I have been seeing on other posts. I believe they're probably great.

The one I am looking at is pretty damn dusty inside I think.. not sure if it was ran hard and might be worn down?

Any thoughts on the Channel Well?

Reply 3 of 13, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

CWT used to make power supplies for Antec in the early 00's, they're usually well designed but had a long love affair with Fuhjyyu capacitors, so a recap will likely be necessary, even if it's new.

If you go with the Delta, just clean it up and check the fan and caps. It probably uses 100% Japanese capacitors, so if they look good and it works no need to replace them. You may want to change the fan if it looks like it's worn out, or if you want something more silent.

Reply 4 of 13, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
TheMobRules wrote on 2020-07-11, 22:43:

CWT used to make power supplies for Antec in the early 00's, they're usually well designed but had a long love affair with Fuhjyyu capacitors, so a recap will likely be necessary, even if it's new.

If you go with the Delta, just clean it up and check the fan and caps. It probably uses 100% Japanese capacitors, so if they look good and it works no need to replace them. You may want to change the fan if it looks like it's worn out, or if you want something more silent.

On a side note, Fuhjyyu still have a website. I wonder if their products have improved .

Reply 5 of 13, by Mattyice1994

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'll probably go with the delta then.

Do you guys think I can unattach these wires from the built in switch and click them into a rocker switch I have with my case? I asked this in another separate thread, but I was still a bit unsure. You guys may have answered this already, but I'd appreciate a quick check!

wy2iE8e.jpg

Reply 7 of 13, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Absolutely. If you cut back the shrink wrap you will probably find the same size spade connectors as are on your case's switch and just move them over

Reply 8 of 13, by kalohimal

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Mattyice1994 wrote on 2020-07-11, 23:21:

Also, it doesn't say it is a "switching power supply" anywhere.. any idea if it is?

It is a switching power supply, it has a switch... 😜

Ok seriously, it is a switching power supply. You won't find any of those old school linear power supply with huge transformer in these AT/ATX power supplies.

Slow down your CPU with CPUSPD for DOS retro gaming.

Reply 9 of 13, by Mattyice1994

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
maxtherabbit wrote on 2020-07-12, 00:57:

Absolutely. If you cut back the shrink wrap you will probably find the same size spade connectors as are on your case's switch and just move them over

Perfect! I figured it was probably, so good to hear!

kalohimal wrote on 2020-07-12, 02:49:

It is a switching power supply, it has a switch... 😜

Ok seriously, it is a switching power supply. You won't find any of those old school linear power supply with huge transformer in these AT/ATX power supplies.

Very punny 🤣! Thank you very much! Made the purchase! Stoked.

Reply 10 of 13, by kalohimal

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Btw, I would suggest removing the switch on your case and attach the one that came with the PSU, if they are the same size. If you cut those shrink tube, for safety you'll need to some how wrap it back afterwards, and I seriously hate using those electrical tape, which is sticky and messy and would get loose after a few years.

Slow down your CPU with CPUSPD for DOS retro gaming.

Reply 11 of 13, by Mattyice1994

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
kalohimal wrote on 2020-07-12, 03:18:

Btw, I would suggest removing the switch on your case and attach the one that came with the PSU, if they are the same size. If you cut those shrink tube, for safety you'll need to some how wrap it back afterwards, and I seriously hate using those electrical tape, which is sticky and messy and would get loose after a few years.

Ah good point, thanks. I'll probably leave it attached until I can figure out how to re-shrink wrap it. I was looking online, and the tubing is pretty cheap, so I'd probably try to redo it. But yeah, electrical tape would be a mess probably.

Reply 12 of 13, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Mattyice1994 wrote on 2020-07-12, 06:36:
kalohimal wrote on 2020-07-12, 03:18:

Ah good point, thanks. I'll probably leave it attached until I can figure out how to re-shrink wrap it. I was looking online, and the tubing is pretty cheap, so I'd probably try to redo it. But yeah, electrical tape would be a mess probably.

You can get rubberized cable wrap that's either self adhesive or secured with cable ties, but large diameter heat shrink tube would do the nicest job.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 13 of 13, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There is no need to shrink wrap the entire switch, just heat shrinking the spade connectors individually is perfectly sufficient and how most manufacturers did it back then