VOGONS

First post, by noshutdown

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

i am using a 8gb dom module, and the speedsys disk performance is horrible:
it displays disk is in pio4 mode, but both buffered read and linear read are only at 2.6mb, while linear verify is 120mb.
even an old regular harddrive shall score >5mb, and dom modules of this kind are usually rated at >20mb.
also what does that linear verify mean, pio4 mode has a maximum bandwidth of 16mb, and even dram bandwidth is only ~40mb, so this 120mb sounds ridiculous.

Reply 1 of 6, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Never played with a DOM module but do know there are Chipset/BIOS limits on many old boards where a CF card based drive is much slower than a real IDE harddrive. My guess is it is compatible with your board but cannot run at it's rated speed because the BIOS and controller have an issue how to talk with it compared to a real HD.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 3 of 6, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Sis496 so I assume it's a 486? ISA or VLB I/O card? Assuming the DOM can keep up and isn't trash, this speed is normal for an ISA I/O.
I doubt you can get 5+ MB/s with whatever disk on similar systems (without going SCSI or PCI)

Reply 4 of 6, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You can improve the performance (if the hdd is good enough) with chipset driver.

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 5 of 6, by noshutdown

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

i tried it on a umc8881 board and its equally slow, and so is the cf card. it displays pio4 mode but i feel its actually pio1 performance.
would it get better in windows98?

Reply 6 of 6, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
noshutdown wrote on 2020-08-04, 06:40:

i tried it on a umc8881 board and its equally slow, and so is the cf card. it displays pio4 mode but i feel its actually pio1 performance.
would it get better in windows98?

Does your BIOS offer "IDE block mode" and/or "IDE 32-bit access"? If yes, make sure that both options are enabled. The SiS496/497 chipset has an integrated VL IDE controller, and will translate 32-bit VL cycles into 16-bit IDE cycles. A lot of VL IDE interface chips (don't know about the 496, though) immediately double their throughput if you use 32-bit cycles.