VOGONS

First post, by Hezus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi there! Reaching out to the Vogons community to help me out with a problem. I've recently aquired a 486DX4 100 with a very exclusive tastes in harddrives. I like to work with CF cards as much as possible but it doesn't want to detect it. Overall, the onboard IDE controller is shoddy. So I got myself a Promise Ultra100 IDE controller to help fix that problem. However, new problem is that the system doesn't like this card at all. It just fails to detect the drives connected to it. ( "BIOS not installed because no drives attached")

The socket 3 motherboard is a 8049 v1.1A (https://www.elhvb.com/webhq/models/486pci/exp8049.html), with a AMD 486 DX4 100. It seems this board either has AMI bios or Phoenix. Mine has AMI v1.0. Interestingly enough is that the Chip on the board says Phoenix. I expect this board is by DataExpert, but I can't find it labeled.

I've verified that the ULTRA100 card is in fact working by putting it into a socket 7 system. It detects the drive I'm feeding it just fine. So the drive or the cables isn't the issue. So I'm quite sure the problem lies in the BIOS somewhere. I've tried to disable the onboard IDE controller, switched some IDE related settings around, but nothing seems to help. I've resorted to the ULTRA100 manual, but it doesn't give me any pointers on this issue. The BIOS of the ULTRA100 is on the lastest version.

Anyone got any other idea or thing I could try?

Visit my YT Channel!

Reply 1 of 12, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Just a guess but the Promise manual is copyright 2000, so the card could be PCI spec 2.1 (1995) or 2.2 (1998) where as the motherboards PCI may be PCI 2.0 (1993). Another issue could be plain BIOS or chipset incompatibility.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 2 of 12, by Hezus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Horun wrote on 2020-07-18, 15:22:

Just a guess but the Promise manual is copyright 2000, so the card could be PCI spec 2.1 (1995) or 2.2 (1998) where as the motherboards PCI may be PCI 2.0 (1993). Another issue could be plain BIOS or chipset incompatibility.

Thanks for the reply! I've never really experienced problems with different PCI cards before. Isn't PCI backwards compatible?

As for my problem. I've ditched the ULTRA100 controller card and went back to getting the onboard IDE to work. It seems to be able to detect more modern disks (8gb and 80gb) but you have to go into the BIOS: Advanced Setup and disable IDE block mode, Primary IDE 21 bit transfer, Master LBA Mode and Slave LBA mode. The onboard IDE only seems to support up to 500mb, though. Although that's enough for now.

Visit my YT Channel!

Reply 3 of 12, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Hezus wrote on 2020-07-19, 13:42:
Horun wrote on 2020-07-18, 15:22:

Thanks for the reply! I've never really experienced problems with different PCI cards before. Isn't PCI backwards compatible?

As for my problem. I've ditched the ULTRA100 controller card and went back to getting the onboard IDE to work. It seems to be able to detect more modern disks (8gb and 80gb) but you have to go into the BIOS: Advanced Setup and disable IDE block mode, Primary IDE 21 bit transfer, Master LBA Mode and Slave LBA mode. The onboard IDE only seems to support up to 500mb, though. Although that's enough for now.

An XTIDE BIOS on a an ISA network card would be an option, if you ever need more space recognized on the drive(s) .

Reply 5 of 12, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Hezus wrote on 2020-07-19, 19:33:
darry wrote on 2020-07-19, 13:47:

An XTIDE BIOS on a an ISA network card would be an option, if you ever need more space recognized on the drive(s) .

Don't you mean controller card?

No, I actually meant just an ISA card with what is called an option ROM . One way is to use an ISA network card with a ROM socket and an EPROM or EEPROM containing the XTIDE BIOS plugged in .

The XTIDE BIOS takes over the original motherboard's BIOS hard drive initialization functionality and lets you use the integrated IDE port(s) with bigger capacity drives .

Reply 6 of 12, by Hezus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
darry wrote on 2020-07-19, 23:21:
Hezus wrote on 2020-07-19, 19:33:
darry wrote on 2020-07-19, 13:47:

Don't you mean controller card?

No, I actually meant just an ISA card with what is called an option ROM . One way is to use an ISA network card with a ROM socket and an EPROM or EEPROM containing the XTIDE BIOS plugged in .

The XTIDE BIOS takes over the original motherboard's BIOS hard drive initialization functionality and lets you use the integrated IDE port(s) with bigger capacity drives .

That's an interesting suggestion! I do have a 3c509b etherlink III card in there. I looks like it has a boot rom socket.

I do not know much about EPROM flashing, but I guess there are tutorials for that.

Let's hope that works. I have the feeling that the current AMI bios isn't the original, since there is clearly a Phoenix chip in there. So that might also contribute to this weirdness.

Visit my YT Channel!

Reply 7 of 12, by Hezus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Update:
I've used OnTrack Disc Manager to unlock the full 8gb of the HDD. Now LBA and 32 bit transfer mode works too. It's a fantastic program:
https://www.philscomputerlab.com/ontrack-disk-manager.html

Visit my YT Channel!

Reply 9 of 12, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've actually had an even newer Promise SATA 150 TX2 working in a 486. I recall it took some magic combination of BIOS settings to get it recognized however. It was a MSI 4144 board with SiS 496/497. The BIOS had various settings for IDE cards. Maybe IRQ associations too.

I would definitely search the forum.

Reply 10 of 12, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
swaaye wrote on 2020-07-20, 19:14:

I've actually had an even newer Promise SATA 150 TX2 working in a 486. I recall it took some magic combination of BIOS settings to get it recognized however. It was a MSI 4144 board with SiS 496/497. The BIOS had various settings for IDE cards. Maybe IRQ associations too.

I would definitely search the forum.

And I had a strange issue with a Promise Ultra133 causing an Asus P3B-F to not boot from either a connected HD or even a floppy drive . A newer Promise SATA 150 TX2 worked fine in the same board as did a generic Silicon Image SIL3114 based card. There are sometimes some strange incompatibilities .

Reply 11 of 12, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
darry wrote on 2020-07-20, 19:25:

And I had a strange issue with a Promise Ultra133 causing an Asus P3B-F to not boot from either a connected HD or even a floppy drive . A newer Promise SATA 150 TX2 worked fine in the same board as did a generic Silicon Image SIL3114 based card. There are sometimes some strange incompatibilities .

Yeah now that you mention that, I remember Ultra66 can be troublesome with 440BX. Though sometimes it's just about the PCI card order. I like to keep things as simple as possible with most setups because PCI cards and their 3rd party VXD drivers are recipes for trouble.

Reply 12 of 12, by Hezus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I tried different PCI slots for the Ultra100 but that didn't help. There are PCI IRQ settings in this BIOS that might help but I fear it's not going to do much.

I hoped these things to be more compatible, but it seems you just got to have the magic combination...

Visit my YT Channel!