VOGONS

First post, by Riddick48

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi everyone,
I am new to this forum and I find it very interesting.
I purchased a Gotek floppy drive emulator and I want to use it on a Pentium pc with Ms-Dos 5.0 installed. I would now like to install Ms-Dos 6.22, with the help of Gotek, because my original floppies are unfortunately unreadable for reasons of degradation of the disk surface.
I used the USB_Floppy_Emulator_1.40i program to create the 100 partitions of 1.39MB each named 000, 001, 002, 003 ... etc on a usb pen.
My question is this: do I have to copy the .img of original floppies file inside the partitions, or can I copy the contents of the original dos 6.22 floppies and run the installation with setup.exe like a normal floppy?
I hope I have clearly explained the question and I thank the forum in advance for your kind replie.
Tony.

Reply 1 of 11, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Sorry I do not have clue about using a Gotek to install DOS from floppy but would guess you need to extract each IMG (or put contents of each floppy) in one bigger partition, because DOS setup expects to access each disk named in order. I use real floppy drives on anything XT thru Slot1 and never have a problem installing DOS.
Maybe someone else can give better info but there are limits what a floppy emulator can do afaik...

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 2 of 11, by PTherapist

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I haven't used the original Gotek firmware for a long time, but I think you can just copy the DOS 6 .img files over and rename them ie. 001.img 002.img 003.img for example, replacing the blank disk images you have created.

Replacing the original Gotek firmware with the FlashFloppy firmware is generally the more recommended option however, it's much more flexible and you can just drop any supported disk images onto a USB stick and use it. You only need a USB A-A cable & a paper clip to flash the new firmware.

Reply 3 of 11, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Riddick48 wrote on 2020-07-26, 17:50:

do I have to copy the .img of original floppies file inside the partitions, or can I copy the contents of the original dos 6.22 floppies and run the installation with setup.exe like a normal floppy?
I hope I have clearly explained the question and I thank the forum in advance for your kind replie.
Tony.

Hi, Tony! I haven't used the original Gotek software for a long time,
but I think copying files alone is not enough.
MS-DOS 6.x Diskette #1 has a boot sector and all disks have labels, which setup is looking for.

However, that's no issue in case you can transfer files with your Pentium.
You can use programs like QCopy v4 or Disc Copy Fast on DOS to write *. IMG/*.IMA images back to a real floppy drive.
Or a floppy emulator

Anyway, please be careful with your USB pen drive
The original Gotek killed one of my thumb drives..

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 4 of 11, by Marentis

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm using Philscomputerlab's tool (afaik from Ipcas Gmbh) and it works in different ways:
1) You simply select an image to write to the corresponding slot, this will also work with the dos floppies and any boot disk etc...
2) You can mount the corresponding slot as a directory and can then manually copy files over.

Reply 5 of 11, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I also just use the stock firmware, I've no doubt the other firmware options are more convenient but never really found it that limiting myself, Only using them for standard driver and boot disks though.

anyway Phil did a video on how to use the original firmware
If you jump to about 6:00 is shows how to copy files to the disk
or if you jump to 9:00 he shows creating dos disks from img files

https://youtu.be/taFP1J_lZBI

Reply 6 of 11, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

i would recommend upgrade to flash floppy firmware,

https://github.com/keirf/FlashFloppy

so you have same feature set as hxc emulators, and can use Images directly without nasty partitions.

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 7 of 11, by deksar

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi Riddick48,

You don't need to manually *copy* anything.

Make sure your USB drive is inserted, then run USB_Floppy_Emulator_1.40i, you'll see at the right side, floppy slots' list like: 000, 001, 002.
Start from 000 and right click on it, choose "Write image file" and point your 1st setup image of MS-DOS, then continue with 001, right click on it, choose the 2nd image of MS-DOS installation files, then 003, till you're done.

That's all.

Then, reboot your PC and make sure the first boot device is "Floppy". The digital led on your Gotek should remain 000 (as you wrote the first bootable image to 000 slot), during setup process it'll ask for the next diskettes, whenever such message appears, you'll just increase the digit on Gotek. Good luck.

Reply 8 of 11, by Riddick48

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
deksar wrote on 2020-07-27, 12:07:
Hi Riddick48, […]
Show full quote

Hi Riddick48,

You don't need to manually *copy* anything.

Make sure your USB drive is inserted, then run USB_Floppy_Emulator_1.40i, you'll see at the right side, floppy slots' list like: 000, 001, 002.
Start from 000 and right click on it, choose "Write image file" and point your 1st setup image of MS-DOS, then continue with 001, right click on it, choose the 2nd image of MS-DOS installation files, then 003, till you're done.

That's all.

Then, reboot your PC and make sure the first boot device is "Floppy". The digital led on your Gotek should remain 000 (as you wrote the first bootable image to 000 slot), during setup process it'll ask for the next diskettes, whenever such message appears, you'll just increase the digit on Gotek. Good luck.

Hi dear Deskar,

thanks for your kind reply.

I downloaded and installed the Ipcas software, on both the computers I own, one with Windows 10 pro 64 bit, and the other with Windows XP.
On both I have the same error: when I go to download the image file on slot 001, the program replies:

"000 floppy disk block, surpass teh biggest capability - Try or not"

With this problem, I still have not been able to use my Gotek
Of course it doesn't.
i can download no image to usb pen.

Does it happen to you too? Will it be a software bug or am I doing something wrong? I followed the installation of the program to the letter and then the formatting of the usb pen.

For information, I list below some data on Gotek and the PC in which it is mounted.

Gotek model SFRC922D; jumper set to the SO position (it is correct for Dos system?)

PC: IBM PC / AT 80387
Bios: American Megatrend v.3.31a
Processor: AMD Athlon XP
Total memory: 256 MB / 166 hz DDR 3
Hdd ide Master: 80 GB
Hdd ide Slave: 156 GB

Thanks in advance for the help that I hope you can give me.

A big hug, Tony.

Reply 9 of 11, by deksar

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi there.

Make sure you start the program as Administrator (right click on its icon -> Run as Administrator) also make sure you formatted your pen within the Gotek software as 1.44 floppies.

Lastly, make sure your image file (the one you want to write into 000 or 001) is less than or equal to 1.44 MB.

Good luck.

Reply 10 of 11, by deksar

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Forgot to mention;

- Make sure the jumper is set to S1 position.
-Try to use the latest version of the software (There are tons of different versions - actually many of them not working at all), here's the last version of the correct software (uninstall the current one before installing that):

This is the last version ever released for Gotek:
https://ozgur.kazancci.com/down/USB_Floppy_Em … lator_1.40i.exe

Lastly; Gotek units have auto-format function, holding down both operation buttons on the unit while powering on the PC (and usb pen inserted) will auto-format your pen and create image slots.
This procedure in the first step shows some codes, which are: the firmware version and the model number.

Enjoy your day.

Reply 11 of 11, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Good luck! 🙏

Gotek emulator woes

Gotek fails floppy drive test

Gotek Troubleshooting

https://youtu.be/ewyKYLP7HpM

If you don't get it to work, please don't despair.
It likely is the cursed Gotek firmware, and not your fault..

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//