VOGONS

First post, by deksar

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi there. I'm planning to buy such an adapter for my IBM PS/2 Model 30-286 (and one for the other 'Model 30');

https://monotech.fwscart.com/XT-IDE_Deluxe_-_ … 4_19478732.aspx

I'd like to ask does that card need additional power molex cable for connecting an IDE hdd? If so, how could that be proceeded with a PSU without any molex output here on the system? I don't really want to mod that 30-year-old PSU for that purpose, that's why I'm looking for such solutions.

It's been said: "There are pads for an optional power output connector. Useful for powering an IDE HDD in machines such as the PS/2 Model 30, which doesn't have a spare power connector from the power supply." but I really didn't get what they mean there.

And the same question for using CF card, where does it get its power?

Thank you.

Reply 2 of 4, by rikukos

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

With the Model 30-286 (16-bit ISA slots) at least, you're much better off utilising say, network cards' Boot ROM socket or similar and place XT-IDE EEPROM there - works wonders! This is what I've done in my other Model 30-286 system..I used the XT-IDE card for programming the EEPROM though (that's easy) but using the 8-bit XT-IDE (card) directly in the 16-bit system is not an optimal thing to do (besides, you're losing a slot which are limited in Model 30 to begin with). I solved the power/Molex issue by feeding the 5V from Roland MPUs' unused wavetable header - see pictures below.

uhCRrcRl.jpg

7YQa1ujl.jpg

Reply 3 of 4, by deksar

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thank you all for really useful ideas and info.

By the way, I got a PS/1 model 2011 that has a "serial expansion board" and it offers 5V floppy-type molex/power output (the attached image).

It's actually unusable there because PS/1 Model 2011 doesn't has any ISA slot so that I could use a Bootable ISA CF/IDE card, so I wonder if I could -somehow- use that expansion board on a PS/2 model 30-286 for powering HDD purposes?

Because I have a 16-bit ISA Harddisk Controller card that has 1xIDE and 1xfloppy connectors onboard, I'd love to try that card but I don't know where to get power.

Attachments