VOGONS

First post, by erek

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Anyone ever spot the Engineering Sample or Prototype for this Hard Disk Drive? Would like to see it

https://gizmodo.com/western-digital-researchi … to-figh-5013807

Reply 1 of 8, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I guess this is (like most 15000 rpm disks) enterprise only stuff. It will likely be installed on servers or storage devices.

The advantages would be that disk life is not limited by write cycles... the disadvantages are noise, and power and cooling requirements (expect it to run fairly hot).

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 2 of 8, by chublord

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Would be interesting to compare this to the new QLC/PLC drives (the high capacity, low cost, relatively low performance SSDs).

A mechanical disk will always get stomped in certain workloads (lots of random access) but it might be competitive in others.

IBM Valuepoint 486 DX4-100, Opti 802G, 50 MHz FSB, Voodoo1+S3 864, Quantum Fireball EX 4.0 GB, Seagate Medalist 1.6 GB, 128 MB FPM, 256k L2

Reply 4 of 8, by Standard Def Steve

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yikes! The 15K RPM SCSI drive I've got crammed in my G4 MDD is already pretty loud. That 20k monster could probably draw blood - from the ears!

94 MHz NEC VR4300 | SGI Reality CoPro | 8MB RDRAM | Each game gets its own SSD - nooice!

Reply 5 of 8, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Woweee.... I wonder what person at WD came up with that idea; probably somebody who just wanted to see if it could be done and they actually got the idea approved by some higher up that didn't have any idea what it would involve.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 6 of 8, by chublord

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

All of Western Digital's "secret sauce" is related to their mechanical disk technology, so it's not surprising they would continue to push it. If it can compete with SSDs in some workloads with a super fast mechanical HDD, then they have a product nobody else has in the market.

If mechanical disks go away, WD can only compete on SSDs, which is quickly becoming a commodity. And WD doesn't have any specific technology that makes their SSDs better than other vendors.

Personally i say "bring it on" because mechanical HDDs are amazing in principle, even though I've always hated using them.

IBM Valuepoint 486 DX4-100, Opti 802G, 50 MHz FSB, Voodoo1+S3 864, Quantum Fireball EX 4.0 GB, Seagate Medalist 1.6 GB, 128 MB FPM, 256k L2

Reply 7 of 8, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That article is from 2008. Looking around, it looks like the consensus is that the increase in RPM increases the power usage too much to make it worthwhile.

Take a look at this page.. and read the comments as well. A ton of good information about this subject in there:
https://thessdguy.com/why-dont-hdds-spin-fast … r-than-15k-rpm/

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK