VOGONS

First post, by MaTi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all,

Hope someone can advise..

In my recent retro built I am using a Gotek floppy simulator.
When I boot from one of the virtual floppies on it (win98se bootdisk or dos 6.22 install disk #1) it works flawlessly - I can change the disk and it works perfectly.

However, after installing ms dos 6.22 it fails to read the contents of the floppies. (clean install of dos)
Then, if I reboot and boot from one of the floppies, it works fine again..

Anyone knows what this is/could be?
Thanks! 😀

Still relatively new, but spending too much time on retro already.. 😀

Reply 1 of 4, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Are you using any Drive Overlay software? (EzDrive for example)

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - And i intend to get every last bit out of it even after loading every damn driver!

Reply 2 of 4, by MaTi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hmm guess not? 😀 Id ask yo uto enlighten me, but that does give me something to google for, so let me try that first.. thanks 😀

Reply 3 of 4, by MaTi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok, so google let me to: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LzCB6kDVC8 (phils computer lab)
And I am a bit confused, are you sure this is relevant for my question?
It seems to be to bypass the 504mb limit, but I don't see how that's related? The Gotek presents any mounted disc image as a 1.44mb floppy.. or am I missing something here? thnx 😀

Reply 4 of 4, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Probably Drive Overlay is not your problem then. I just remember that floppy drives in general might behave "interestingly", if DO is present.

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - And i intend to get every last bit out of it even after loading every damn driver!