VOGONS

First post, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Is it possible to replace an old AT power supply with an ATX on inside of an AT case? Do the dimensions and screws fit?

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 1 of 3, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Usually yes.

Only problem really is that newer computers rely on 12V a lot, while good old retro-machines consume mostly 5V rail.
Therefore you need a strong 5V rail on your ATX PSU, which may lead you to buy something like 750W PSU just because it can push out enough amps on 5V...

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - And i intend to get every last bit out of it even after loading every damn driver!

Reply 2 of 3, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
GigAHerZ wrote on 2020-08-06, 15:09:

Usually yes.

Only problem really is that newer computers rely on 12V a lot, while good old retro-machines consume mostly 5V rail.
Therefore you need a strong 5V rail on your ATX PSU, which may lead you to buy something like 750W PSU just because it can push out enough amps on 5V...

Hm, I have one 450W in my 486 ATX tower. Works fine (with the ATX2AT smart converter). Indeed I need around 5A on the 5V and only 0.3A on 12V.

But I have one AT case where I don’t quite trust the supply and would love to have the security of the smart converter as well, since I play around with quite a few homebrew cards.

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 3 of 3, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you keep an eye on your 5V power rail requirements, go for it. Those old AT PSUs are not trustworthy anymore today. 😀

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - And i intend to get every last bit out of it even after loading every damn driver!