VOGONS

First post, by serenitatis

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi! I get IBM ThinkPad 600 for a while and experienced some weirdness with it's fan. It's perfectly spinning under BIOS, passes all tests (basic and advanced). But then I load Windows 95 fan not starting even under heavy load. Laptop becomes hot, so I expected cooler begin to spin. But it's not starting. I find it's very strange. After I reboot to BIOS and try the tests - all is OK. I wait about 10 minutes under Bios and cooler works fine. Under Windows I don't have any issues with stability. I try some games and there's no problem with it.

I try to reinstall Windows 95 from recovery CD, reset BIOS settings. But nothing changes.

So this normal for this laptop or I have faulty fan? Again - it's passes all tests and works under BIOS. What the heck is that?

Reply 1 of 3, by schmatzler

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This might be a longshot, but have you tried installing the Speedstep applet and the power management features package from here?
https://thinkpads.com/support/Thinkpad-Driver … t/ddfm/600.html

There's also the latest BIOS on that page, maybe that fixes it.

"Windows 98's natural state is locked up"

Reply 3 of 3, by serenitatis

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Update: Newer version of BIOS brings fan to live in Windows and DOS. I can't find floppy drive for my laotop, so I used diskette version of firmware and converted it to ISO. Burn it to CD-RW, booted and flashed like a charm. Now I have laptop with properly working cooling system.