VOGONS

First post, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have AMD PCnet ISA+ network card, which i wanted to get working on my 386.
While messing around, i found a configuration utility which was able to switch this from PnP mode to manual setup. I used default configs and all was good... until i rebooted.

Now whenever the NIC is in the computer, i get beep codes saying me there's a problem with video card. (AMI bios, 8 short beeps)
Obviously i've set the card to use something that conflicts with VGA.

I've tried multiple VGA cards and even tried without any VGA card, but whenever the NIC is in, i get the beeps without machine booting up.

What are the possibilities to somehow maybe reset the configs inside this NIC?

Thanks!

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - And i intend to get every last bit out of it even after loading every damn driver!

Reply 2 of 3, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
jakethompson1 wrote on 2020-08-11, 22:29:

Do you have a machine with PCI VGA you could put the card into temporarily?

I do. I have a Pentium MMX with PCI VGA.
That's a good idea! Will try this today/tomorrow. (Y)

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - And i intend to get every last bit out of it even after loading every damn driver!

Reply 3 of 3, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Worked!

Though, what i did discover is that when i switch the card from PnP to manual configuration mode, it always prevents the 386 to run no matter what the settings are. Also, diagnostics utility is always failing irq and dma tests on pentium.

Seems like this card is toast on some level.

(For 386, went with D-Link DE-250CT now. Simple and straight forward NE2000 card.)

Thanks!