VOGONS

First post, by Virtual

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Greetings.

I've tried to browse for a solution but I didn't come across anything, so I am writing here in hope someone could shed some light on this issue. Any word of advice will be greatly appreciated.

So, here's the CPU:
piii.jpg

When I run it on the Award Advance 10B motherboard, it displays the following in the BIOS screen:
Award-Bios.jpg

On Windows 98:
Wrong-cpu.jpg
(btw, why doesn't it display "Pentium 3" under System Properties?)

For reference, here's a screen of the motherboard's manual:
manual.jpg

On another motherboard, it displays the CPU correctly in the BIOS:
Right-Bios.jpg

Reply 3 of 7, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

For the QDI Advance 10B , the setting is in the BIOS . See page 34 of the manual .

Filename
advance_10f.pdf
File size
588.59 KiB
Downloads
29 downloads
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 4 of 7, by Virtual

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you darry and LewisRaz, you both were right.

I needed to set the jumpers to the 1-2 position first, as the 133MHz option wouldn't show on the BIOS settings by default.

jumpers.jpg
bios133.jpg
1GHz.jpg
IMG-20200813-093546.jpg

Win98SE still doesn't recognize "Intel Pentium 3" under System Properties, showing instead "x86 Family 6 Model 8 Stepping 10", however SiSift Sandra now displays "Intel Celeron III 998MHz", so it's ok I guess.

Reply 5 of 7, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you go into device manager and delete the CPU then reboot, so Windows redetects it, that might detect it correctly as a P3

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 6 of 7, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Is your version of Sisoft Sandra the newest that can run under Windows 98 ? My guess is that its just too old to recognize your CPU .

For CPU ID purposes, I suggest CPU-Z . There is a Windows 9x compatible version .

Reply 7 of 7, by Virtual

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok, so I went to Device Manager a deleted a two CPU related entries, rebooted, nothing changed. One got reinstalled again after reboot: "CPU driver for AGP VIA Tech 8598" and the other:"Support for CPU" disappeared completely, hopefully it doesn't break anything.

I am running SiSoft Sandra 99, I believe this is the latest version compatible with Win98 (at least that's the only one compatible with it according to oldversion.com) afaik.

Following darry's recommendation, I've installed CPU-Z and voila:
cpu-z.jpg