VOGONS

First post, by Epirean

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I can't seem to find an answer to this. The closest thing I found is a specs website that just says that you can install third party graphics card in to a PCI slot. So my questions is, would any PCI graphics card from the 1994-1995 era work, or do I need a specific one that is made for Apple?

Reply 1 of 6, by Vynix

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You need to flash them with a Mac-compatible BIOS (and since your model is probably one of the "Old World" models, it's going to be a bit difficult). Just like some people did to crossflash some PC GPUs for Power Macs G3s and G4s.

EDIT: Woops, yeah nope. I completely forgot that the 6100/66 is NuBus only🤦‍♂️

Last edited by Vynix on 2020-08-23, 17:36. Edited 1 time in total.

Proud owner of a Shuttle HOT-555A 430VX motherboard and two wonderful retro laptops, namely a Compaq Armada 1700 [nonfunctional] and a HP Omnibook XE3-GC [fully working :p]

Reply 2 of 6, by Standard Def Steve

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The 6100 is a NuBus machine, so no PCI graphics card is going to work in it, no matter how much flashing you do. 😜

94 MHz NEC VR4300 | SGI Reality CoPro | 8MB RDRAM | Each game gets its own SSD - nooice!

Reply 3 of 6, by DandumontP

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Actually, the Power Mac 6100 has no PCI.

And with the other PCI Mac, you must have a "BIOS" with Open Firmware code to boot, and compatibility with PowerPC.

There is exception, by the way : you can use "PC" Voodoo Graphics and Voodoo 2 on a Mac, because there is no BIOS on the card.

And with certain Power Mac, you can use PC card if you disable the BIOS. Typically, you can install an ATi Rage Pro on a G3 Beige if you disable the BIOS (there is a jumper for that on many cards), but it's because the G3 contain a Rage IIc onboard. When you put the PC card without BIOS, the Mac use the "internal" BIOS.

Reply 4 of 6, by Vynix

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Standard Def Steve wrote on 2020-08-23, 14:33:

The 6100 is a NuBus machine, so no PCI graphics card is going to work in it, no matter how much flashing you do. 😜

Yeah I completely missed that it was a 6100/66, I thought the OP was talking about one of the later Power Macs that had PCI built-in

Proud owner of a Shuttle HOT-555A 430VX motherboard and two wonderful retro laptops, namely a Compaq Armada 1700 [nonfunctional] and a HP Omnibook XE3-GC [fully working :p]

Reply 6 of 6, by lolo799

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Epirean wrote on 2020-08-24, 09:46:

Thanks guys. I got the machine here now, and yeah, no PCI. Oops. Have to find another way to hook a monitor to it.

You just need the proper cable/adapter.
http://www.kan.org/6100/monitors.html

PCMCIA Sound, Storage & Graphics