VOGONS

Reply 20 of 31, by Enternal

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
red-ray wrote on 2020-08-28, 23:05:
Enternal wrote on 2020-08-27, 14:33:

Which I was able to identify as a Voodoo 3 1000 that several people here have.

Good find, I have not validated SIV on a Voodoo 3 1000, please will you try it and post the Menu->File->Save Local file?

Yes, ill work on this tonight.

I also noticed on the vogons wiki that it says voodoo cards will not work with K7 athon PC's. Is that for gaming?

This weekend I went to go buy some old computer speakers off craigslist and lucked into more things.

uooPqO8.jpg

Guy was selling some old altec lansings for 10 then when I told him what I was doing he said he had a bunch of old parts in the garage and started giving me more parts. He said he would toss them in for another 10. I had another 40 on me and put that on the table and said let me go get more money but he didn't want it. It was hard enough to get him to take the 40. He said his wife would be happy he was getting rid of things.

So now Im thinking keep the Compaq as is as an xp machine?

And use some of the new parts for a separate win98 dos PC?

k6 - 2 400mhz and some sis 530 motherboard
K6 -2 300mhz
Tyan S2198MOA Pentium 4 motherboard
Sound blaster CT 2940 isa
Sound blaster CT 4740
Voodoo 3 2000 PCI
8600 Gt pci-e
9400 GT pci

Reply 21 of 31, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Those Voodoo3 and 9400GT PCI cards are great finds. Especially the Voodoo3 is handy to have in a PCI slot sometimes.
I like that CT2940 also. I don't have one but they're supposed to have lower noise than most Sound Blasters.
Does the S2198 P4 board use that RAMBUS memory?

You could use the Socket-7 stuff to build a DOS oriented machine. I don't know anything about the SIS530 though, I've never used one.
If that board can run a K6-2+ or 3+ (the "plus" is important) then with such a CPU you can change the clock speed in software, which might be useful if you run into anything speed sensitive.
It would mainly be good for DOS and less demanding Win9x games.

Many Win9x games will probably run better on the Athlon, so you might still want to install Win98 on that, and also give it the Voodoo3 2000 card if you want to get the best performance with Glide games.

On the other hand if you build both machines and want Glide support on the Socket-7, then you'd need the PCI Voodoo3 to go over there instead.

Last edited by shamino on 2020-09-01, 01:50. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 22 of 31, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dionb wrote on 2020-08-28, 08:08:

The lack of ISA (and SBLINK) is a downside for DOS, otherwise this is a fine board for your purpose.

AMD750 means it should accept all Slot1 CPUs including Thunderbird, at already, assuming Compaq BIOS accepts it. However if you go for Third you might as well do SoA, so with Slot I'd say stay with Argon/Pluto/Orion.

Slot 1 is Intel
Slot A is AMD.

AMD750 is a AMD chipset. On a AMD board with an Slot A connector.

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 23 of 31, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Robin4 wrote on 2020-09-01, 01:44:
Slot 1 is Intel Slot A is AMD. […]
Show full quote
dionb wrote on 2020-08-28, 08:08:

The lack of ISA (and SBLINK) is a downside for DOS, otherwise this is a fine board for your purpose.

AMD750 means it should accept all Slot1 CPUs including Thunderbird, at already, assuming Compaq BIOS accepts it. However if you go for Third you might as well do SoA, so with Slot I'd say stay with Argon/Pluto/Orion.

Slot 1 is Intel
Slot A is AMD.

AMD750 is a AMD chipset. On a AMD board with an Slot A connector.

Yes, sorry, typo, means Slot A.

AMD750 supports Tbird, KX133 does not. That was the point.

Reply 24 of 31, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dionb wrote on 2020-09-01, 05:55:

AMD750 supports Tbird, KX133 does not. That was the point.

*depends ^^

the K7V-T certainly does support thunderbird, idk if there have been any others.

Reply 25 of 31, by Enternal

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
shamino wrote on 2020-09-01, 01:32:
Those Voodoo3 and 9400GT PCI cards are great finds. Especially the Voodoo3 is handy to have in a PCI slot sometimes. I like tha […]
Show full quote

Those Voodoo3 and 9400GT PCI cards are great finds. Especially the Voodoo3 is handy to have in a PCI slot sometimes.
I like that CT2940 also. I don't have one but they're supposed to have lower noise than most Sound Blasters.
Does the S2198 P4 board use that RAMBUS memory?

You could use the Socket-7 stuff to build a DOS oriented machine. I don't know anything about the SIS530 though, I've never used one.
If that board can run a K6-2+ or 3+ (the "plus" is important) then with such a CPU you can change the clock speed in software, which might be useful if you run into anything speed sensitive.
It would mainly be good for DOS and less demanding Win9x games.

Many Win9x games will probably run better on the Athlon, so you might still want to install Win98 on that, and also give it the Voodoo3 2000 card if you want to get the best performance with Glide games.

On the other hand if you build both machines and want Glide support on the Socket-7, then you'd need the PCI Voodoo3 to go over there instead.

Thanks! Im anxious to try out the CT2940, I read up on it, I got lucky that it's the variant with the OPL3 chip.

The person that gave me the stuff said the RAMBUS memory went with that board. I completely forgot what RAMBUS memory was... I kept looking at the PC-800 on the label, thinking I don't remember this at all. Googled it, then it all came back that Intel was pushing this for a bit.

Still trying to figure out how Im going to divide up the parts for my builds. I went out to garage sales again last weekend and the flea market and came back with more stuff. I'm still blind buying a lot of old parts if they are cheap since im a newb again to all of this. Found some cool things, I think... though not a third 3dfx card 🤣. Ill post it in the pickup page.

Reply 26 of 31, by Enternal

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
red-ray wrote on 2020-08-28, 23:05:
Enternal wrote on 2020-08-27, 14:33:

Which I was able to identify as a Voodoo 3 1000 that several people here have.

Good find, I have not validated SIV on a Voodoo 3 1000, please will you try it and post the Menu->File->Save Local file?

I couldn't find the direct path for Save Local, but did see it in the about section. I ran the process and cause the PC to reboot about halfway through, I tried it again and got the same result. It did get past the GPU info, so hopefully the data you were looking for is in the attachment.

Sorry for the delay, haven't had a lot of time lately and my friend borrowed my wired keyboard and mouse that I was using on the Compaq so he could image some computers for his family.

Attachments

Reply 27 of 31, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Enternal wrote on 2020-09-10, 03:04:

I couldn't find the direct path for Save Local, but did see it in the about section. I ran the process and cause the PC to reboot about halfway through, I tried it again and got the same result. It did get past the GPU info, so hopefully the data you were looking for is in the attachment.

Thank you for checking out SIV and apologies for the reboot which I would like to address. All the GPU information was as I hoped and the system having an AMD-K7 (Argon) was a bonus as I have never tested SIV on that model 😀, but also the root cause of the issue 🙁.

Looking in the save file the reboot happened as SIV was reading MSRs in the range 0xC0010000 to 0xC0010400, this works fine on almost every CPU I have ever tested SIV on and this triggering a reboot must be a quirk of the AMD-K7 (Argon). Please will you redo the save using SIV 5.52 Beta-07 or later which should only read 0xC0010000 to 0xC0010100 to see if it does any better.

If there is still an issue do Menu->File->Save->Save Selected and deselect the [msrs] section before pressing [Start].

Ideally post both COMPUTER.txt + COMPUTER.dmi, you will have to ZIP them as .DMI files can't be attached. COMPUTER.dmi is a binary dump of the BIOS data that is reported on the [Machine] panel.

Attachments

• Menu-File-Save-Save Selected.png
    Filename
    Menu-File-Save-Save Selected.png
    File size
    68.43 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    How to do Menu->File->Save->Save Selected
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 28 of 31, by Enternal

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
red-ray wrote on 2020-09-10, 07:15:

Thank you for checking out SIV and apologies for the reboot which I would like to address. All the GPU information was as I hoped and the system having an AMD-K7 (Argon) was a bonus as I have never tested SIV on that model 😀, but also the root cause of the issue 🙁.

Lol, ah I was wondering how to get the menu up, wasn't clicking the wizard in the corner. No worries about the Reboot, haven't done anything with the PC except run your program. It still got an error on the 5.52 beta 7 siv. I deselected the MSRA selection.

BTW on the vogons wiki it says that K7 and Voodoo 3 are not compatible? https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/3dfx

Is the wiki incorrect?

I got both files in the attached zip.

Attachments

Reply 29 of 31, by mastergamma12

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Enternal wrote on 2020-09-13, 03:37:
Lol, ah I was wondering how to get the menu up, wasn't clicking the wizard in the corner. No worries about the Reboot, haven't […]
Show full quote
red-ray wrote on 2020-09-10, 07:15:

Lol, ah I was wondering how to get the menu up, wasn't clicking the wizard in the corner. No worries about the Reboot, haven't done anything with the PC except run your program. It still got an error on the 5.52 beta 7 siv. I deselected the MSRA selection.

BTW on the vogons wiki it says that K7 and Voodoo 3 are not compatible? https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/3dfx

Is the wiki incorrect?

I got both files in the attached zip.

You're thinking about the Voodoo1.

Voodoo3's absolutely fine and generally recommended on early K7 boards due to wonky AGP implementations with Irongate and KX133/KT133.

NNH9pIh.png

The Tuala-Bus (My 9x/Dos Rig) (Pentium III-S 1.4ghz, AWE64G+Audigy 2 ZS, Voodoo5 5500, Chieftec Dragon Rambus)

The Final Lan Party (My Windows Xp/7 rig) (Core i7 980x, GTX 480,DFI Lanparty UT X58-T3eH8,)
Re: Post your 'current' PC

Reply 30 of 31, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Lol, ah I was wondering how to get the menu up, wasn't clicking the wizard in the corner. No worries about the Reboot, haven't done anything with the PC except run your program. It still got an error on the 5.52 beta 7 siv. I deselected the MSRS selection.

BTW on the vogons wiki it says that K7 and Voodoo 3 are not compatible? Is the wiki incorrect?

Thank you for checking out Beta-07 and you can also get to the menus by Right/Click on the tray icon and the panel buttons.

SIV did read MSRs C0010015 + C001001A OK so I wonder which MSR triggers the report. From a command window please CD to the SIV folder, then do:
siv32x -save=[msrs]=msrs.txt -dbgmsr > msrs.log | more
and post the two generated files so I can check. Note the system will still reboot, but on reboot the last line in msrs.log should be the MSR SIV was trying to read. When reading the MSRs SIV has a SEH (Structured Exception Handler) which deals with MSRs not being readable so I can't really see why the system should reboot. I wonder if it's down to no service packs being installed.

I don't really know about K7 and Voodoo compatibility, maybe the comment is just about Voodoo 1. I also noticed that 3dfx Tools and Voodoo3 Display Drivers are installed which may address this.

Reply 31 of 31, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I tried it again and got the same result.

I finally got my AMD Athlon M2 (Pluto) system running and it also had the issue with [msrs] so should have fixed in SIV32X 5.52 Beta-08 and later. Please will you try it on your AMD-K7 (Argon) and confirm Menu->File->Save Local is now OK?