VOGONS

First post, by ildonaldo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi, I am thinking about a upgrade for my PC #2 .
I've got a Pentium 200 MMX so far (to replace the FPU weak IDT W2A 200), but currently I am thinking about to buy a Cyrix 6x86L-PR200+GP ... or even a 6x86MX PR233
- I just want to bring out the best of the GA-586S Rev. 1.22C board ...

Is it a buy or leave - is it worth spending any money at all?
What's your opinion?

Last edited by ildonaldo on 2020-09-01, 17:16. Edited 1 time in total.

Building my own PCs since 1991 - for my retro builds it's "no CF-disks, no Floppy emulators, no modern cases etc.", only the real and authentic stuff whenever possible.

Reply 1 of 22, by BinaryDemon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That Pentium 200 MMX that you already have is probably the smart move. Maybe take a look at Evergreen Spectra or Kingston Turbochips to see if anyone had luck with those on a GA-586S?

Check out DOSBox Distro:

https://sites.google.com/site/dosboxdistro/ [*]

a lightweight Linux distro (tinycore) which boots off a usb flash drive and goes straight to DOSBox.

Make your dos retrogaming experience portable!

Reply 2 of 22, by ildonaldo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thank you, but I would like to stay (decently) period correct, so Upgrade-CPUs are out of range 😉
I am looking especially for any opinion corncering this particular Cyrix PR CPUs ...

Building my own PCs since 1991 - for my retro builds it's "no CF-disks, no Floppy emulators, no modern cases etc.", only the real and authentic stuff whenever possible.

Reply 3 of 22, by bearking

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Here you can find an official cpu conpatibility chart for socket 7 Gigabyte mainboards: https://www.gigabyte.com/microsite/121/tech_mmxtable.htm

If you want maximum FPU performance you should go with the Pentium 233 MMX...
I'm not a Quake player, so I went with the K6-233 on my socket 7 GA-586HX board... This was the fastest skt7 cpu I had, faster then the Cyrix PR233

EDIT: here you have a few DOS benchmark results... Re: My 1st socket 7 system in 20 years

Reply 4 of 22, by ildonaldo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This compatibility list seems to be wrong because it lists for my board "GA-586S, V 1.22C , Bios 1.04" an "Intel Pentium MMX 266MHz" as possible, but there are no jumpers to support beyond 200 MHz (on the board and in the manual*) 🙁
If you have any clue how to rev up the board to a Pentium MMX 266MHz, you are really welcome!!!

* Manual for GA-586S

Reply 5 of 22, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

6x86L is an okay choice if you don't need anything that uses the FPU much, especially if you're going to run a lot of DOS software. Just be aware that it was kind of a budget CPU, so I would only recommend it if you want to enjoy the special experience of using Cyrix CPUs.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 6 of 22, by ildonaldo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've got a "matrox m3d pci"-card and this is very FPU-dependand .
The board does not (afaik) support anything beyond 200 MHz and so it's the question - what's the most potent FPU-CPU P1 with 200 MHZ?
I guess, it is probably the P1 200 MMX, but maybe there is some more powerful CPU (Cyrix, IDT etc.) around ...
regards, ildonaldo

Reply 7 of 22, by IcySon55

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ildonaldo wrote on 2020-09-02, 15:43:

This compatibility list seems to be wrong because it lists for my board "GA-586S, V 1.22C , Bios 1.04" an "Intel Pentium MMX 266MHz" as possible, but there are no jumpers to support beyond 200 MHz (on the board and in the manual*) 🙁
If you have any clue how to rev up the board to a Pentium MMX 266MHz, you are really welcome!!!

* Manual for GA-586S

I actually just did something like this with my IBM Aptiva 2136. The trick is that the Pentium 233 (and I imagine the 266 Tilamook) have an internal multiplier. Set your board to 1.5x and the chip will take that as "go max speed".

Makes me wonder now if I should be on the lookout for a 266... nope just looked it up, the Aptiva can't supply the needed voltage to Vcore (1.9 for PPGA)

Reply 8 of 22, by ildonaldo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thank you for this hint - I had the vague memory that there were some CPUs around that could be coaxed into higher clock rates.
... will give it a try soon 😀

Reply 9 of 22, by mwdmeyer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The 6x86L CPU is trash. It doesn't support all the instructions that the Pentium does and the FPU performance is half that of a 200MMX

I did various benchmarks here:
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Super_So … et_7_Benchmarks

As said above the 6x86 is really only okay if you want to play DOS games with it.

The 6x86MX fixes a lot of issues and I actually quite like that CPU, but not the standard 6x86.

Vogons Wiki - http://vogonswiki.com

Reply 10 of 22, by rmay635703

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mwdmeyer wrote on 2022-11-07, 20:22:

The 6x86L CPU is trash.

The 6x86MX fixes a lot of issues and I actually quite like that CPU, but not the standard 6x86.

Agreed, it’s unfortunate Cyrix was unable to message and advertise that the 6x86mx and MII both would run quake just fine

Reply 11 of 22, by Jasin Natael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rmay635703 wrote on 2022-11-07, 20:31:
mwdmeyer wrote on 2022-11-07, 20:22:

The 6x86L CPU is trash.

Agreed, it’s unfortunate Cyrix was unable to message and advertise that the 6x86mx and MII both would run quake just fine

Yes the MII chips are quite decent performers for the money. They aren't going to stave off a Pentium II or a K6-3 or anything but for the money they were decent performers.
They were just a little late to the game and the early 6x86 chips had left some people with a bad impression that wasn't easy to forget.

But it's cool to have a Cyrix in the stable, and the smaller process MII chips overclock pretty well.

Reply 12 of 22, by ildonaldo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Harr, how dare you to capture my thread.
Spinn your own yarn / thread or I'll let you walk the (mainboard)plank 😉
This thread is about, which shall be the fastest, feasable processor for the "GA-586S, V 1.22C , Bios 1.04" plank/board, harr.

Reply 13 of 22, by Jasin Natael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ildonaldo wrote on 2022-11-08, 20:40:

This thread is about, which shall be the fastest, feasable processor for the "GA-586S, V 1.22C , Bios 1.04" plank/board, harr.

The fastest is easy a K6-3+ 😉

Reply 14 of 22, by rmay635703

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jasin Natael wrote on 2022-11-08, 21:34:

The fastest is easy a K6-3+ 😉

Truth

Reply 15 of 22, by ildonaldo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Oh dear "K6-3+", pure unobtainium 🙁

... but I've got a K6-2+/500, what's it worth?
... and how to get it working on the "GA-586S, V 1.22C , Bios 1.04"??

Reply 16 of 22, by Jasin Natael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ildonaldo wrote on 2022-11-09, 17:51:

Oh dear "K6-3+", pure unobtainium 🙁

... but I've got a K6-2+/500, what's it worth?
... and how to get it working on the "GA-586S, V 1.22C , Bios 1.04"??

The 3+ chips aren't completely unavailable but they can be harder to find.
A k6-2+ chip is very nearly as fast.

Not sure about the GA-586S, but I see that the GA-586S2 is listed on Jan's site.
http://web.inter.nl.net/hcc/J.Steunebrink/k6plus.htm

Not super familiar with the Gigabyte boards, but the only issue beyond the BIOS recognizing the CPU would be voltage.
Some boards have some undocumented voltage settings that should allow you to lower it to 2.0,2.1, 2.2.
But on my PC Chips m571 board for example it was a pain to get anything under 2.5v

Other guys on here will likely know more. I would bet that you could get it to work, depending on the chipset you might only get 66/75/83 FSB speeds, but with a 2x multi on a K6 that releates to 6x.
In other words even at 66x6, a K6-2+ will eat that Pentium MMX for lunch.

Reply 18 of 22, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Omg 🤣 😂

Cyrix makes some interesting chips. I’d say go for it just because it is interesting likely not faster though. But they are faster than everyone seems to imagine.

A MII can play halo at 350mhz. https://youtu.be/jx-KE-xlNS0

If OP really wants to max out the board, there are ways of making a k6-3+ work 😀

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 19 of 22, by Jasin Natael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Sphere478 wrote on 2022-11-09, 23:17:
Omg lol 😂 […]
Show full quote

Omg 🤣 😂

Cyrix makes some interesting chips. I’d say go for it just because it is interesting likely not faster though. But they are faster than everyone seems to imagine.

A MII can play halo at 350mhz. https://youtu.be/jx-KE-xlNS0

If OP really wants to max out the board, there are ways of making a k6-3+ work 😀

This is also a great option. And it's different than using a K6 2 or 3.
A good low voltage MII example like Sphere mentioned will likely overclock to 300/350mhz and not everyone has one.

That is the beauty of the Socket 7........so many CPU options.