VOGONS

Fake 486 Processor?

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 20 of 76, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
debs3759 wrote on 2020-09-08, 21:20:

Definitely NOT fake, I've seen posts here and on CPU-World about them, they are just a very late date with a time specific logo.

Get one to work at its rated specifications as shown on the chip and auction description. So far I don't see any evidence of a single person being successful, even on other vintage computing forums.

Also, eBay feedback means nothing, as you can just call up eBay and have negative feedback removed within minutes.

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 21 of 76, by Katmai500

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2020-09-08, 21:49:

Fake. The lid at the bottom doesn't match in size and color with Intel DX4 CPUs. Also no production information printed on the lid.

Per discussion over at CPU World, some of the late 2007 production 486’s had the larger black die cap.

http://www.cpu-world.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13445

Reply 22 of 76, by Quadrachewski

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
wiretap wrote on 2020-09-08, 22:05:

Get one to work at its rated specifications as shown on the chip and auction description. So far I don't see any evidence of a single person being successful, even on other vintage computing forums.

So he is guilty until proven innocent, nice work comrade! Another safe day for the Proletariat!
I let the seller know what is happening, he has a right to defend himself against these accusations.

Reply 23 of 76, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Katmai500 wrote on 2020-09-09, 02:18:
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2020-09-08, 21:49:

Fake. The lid at the bottom doesn't match in size and color with Intel DX4 CPUs. Also no production information printed on the lid.

Per discussion over at CPU World, some of the late 2007 production 486’s had the larger black die cap.

http://www.cpu-world.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13445

Holy shit, making 486 CPUs in 2007? 😁

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 24 of 76, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Quadrachewski wrote on 2020-09-09, 04:43:
wiretap wrote on 2020-09-08, 22:05:

So he is guilty until proven innocent, nice work comrade! Another safe day for the Proletariat!
I let the seller know what is happening, he has a right to defend himself against these accusations.

Yep, that's how the internet works. I'd rather save uninformed buyers the hassle of trying to return it when it doesn't work.

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 25 of 76, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Still doesn't explain lack of production information. If anything, it probably should have been printed on die cap in similar to ceramic Pentium MMX fashion.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 26 of 76, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2020-09-09, 10:34:

Still doesn't explain lack of production information. If anything, it probably should have been printed on die cap in similar to ceramic Pentium MMX fashion.

I don't get it, if he wanted to scam people wouldn't he just print the more common top on?

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 27 of 76, by computerguy08

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There is some basic psychology involved here. If this were to be a fake product, the seller would have painted the CPU to look exactly like an older 486DX4 from the 90's (with markings on the bottom as well) in the attempt to fool the customer with as little suspicion as possible.

The way this one looks like, it's obviously not the case. You can tell them apart from miles away.

Reply 28 of 76, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
appiah4 wrote on 2020-09-09, 07:32:

Holy shit, making 486 CPUs in 2007? 😁

I agree, on first glance it looks strange. But if we think about it - why not ? 😀
- Windows for Workgroups 3.11 was officially in use until November 2008 (that's almost 2009) !
https://www.theregister.com/2008/11/05/micros … _windows_3_1_1/

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 29 of 76, by Quadrachewski

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
wiretap wrote on 2020-09-09, 09:44:

Yep, that's how the internet works. I'd rather save uninformed buyers the hassle of trying to return it when it doesn't work.

No, that's how inconsiderate people work.
You were wrong but you are so full of yourself that you can't even admit your mistake.

Reply 31 of 76, by waterbeesje

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No evidence that it works... Neither that it doesn't. So to me it would be a gambling game.

Asking about the story behind them might be possible and if he can give quite some detail and is enthusiastic it should be ok.
Create a second eBay account and ask a similar question, should match the description.

I'd be careful, but to me it's no evidence it's fake.

Also, buy It and try it. If it works, in the worst case it is a 75MHz remarked too 100... Probably stable at 100 but will fail at 120. Still does what it promises, but not exactly fair... But that's the risk of trading second hand stuff over the world.

Stuck at 10MHz...

Reply 32 of 76, by Quadrachewski

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2020-09-09, 13:45:

At the end of the day, there's no documented evidence that these CPUs can work as normal Intel DX4 WB or as any 486.

Other than the guys who bought them and used them to satisfaction. The companies that use hundreds of them in their computers. You know, the ones that required Intel to keep making these CPUs because it's cheaper than implementing a completely new system.
But there is no documented evidence that these are fake either. Bummer! This is how lawsuits begin.

Reply 34 of 76, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As mentioned above, there is already a thread about one of these chips not working. If the OP can test the one he bought that would shed some light on this. If that one doesn't work either, then almost certainly they are fake, otherwise the other person may have gotten a broken chip.

Reply 35 of 76, by chublord

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm the OP of that other thread, I tried two of these and neither would work. It's always possible its a compatibility issue but my system has a "&E" DX4-100 installed and it works just fine.

IBM Valuepoint 486 DX4-100, Opti 802G, 50 MHz FSB, Voodoo1+S3 864, Quantum Fireball EX 4.0 GB, Seagate Medalist 1.6 GB, 128 MB FPM, 256k L2

Reply 37 of 76, by BinaryDemon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
chublord wrote on 2020-09-09, 15:35:

I'm the OP of that other thread, I tried two of these and neither would work. It's always possible its a compatibility issue but my system has a "&E" DX4-100 installed and it works just fine.

Didnt you say in that thread that the motherboard booted momentarily and showed 100mhz at one point? That would seem to point to defective rather than fake. Either way with 3 from same seller it might be wise to look elsewhere.

Check out DOSBox Distro:

https://sites.google.com/site/dosboxdistro/ [*]

a lightweight Linux distro (tinycore) which boots off a usb flash drive and goes straight to DOSBox.

Make your dos retrogaming experience portable!

Reply 38 of 76, by chublord

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
bearking wrote on 2020-09-09, 15:38:

Still don't get it... Why is this drama over one 10 USD second hand old cpu??? Really? I saw the ad on ebay, there is a picture of the thing and a price. If you want it, you get it, if no, you leave it...

Why is there drama about retro computing hardware at all? Personally, I just want to know what it is.

IBM Valuepoint 486 DX4-100, Opti 802G, 50 MHz FSB, Voodoo1+S3 864, Quantum Fireball EX 4.0 GB, Seagate Medalist 1.6 GB, 128 MB FPM, 256k L2

Reply 39 of 76, by chublord

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
BinaryDemon wrote on 2020-09-09, 16:08:

Didnt you say in that thread that the motherboard booted momentarily and showed 100mhz at one point? That would seem to point to defective rather than fake. Either way with 3 from same seller it might be wise to look elsewhere.

Yes, I did get a POST screen twice with the first chip, but it immediately locked up after. I didn't get anything from the 2nd chip.