VOGONS

First post, by Uroshnor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

A while back, I posted asking for help getting an Asus P5PE-VM motherboard (that I bought on eBay) to boot. I'm now pretty sure something's wrong with that motherboard, so I bought another one on eBay to replace it. However, while I can get the new one further into the boot process, I'm still having trouble with it.

If I try to boot it without a keyboard attached, it gives me a two-beep code, which according to the documentation is a memory error, but then it flashes the POST screen for a split second, and the POST screen says the memory's ok, so I don't know what's going on with that.

If I try to boot it with a keyboard attached, and hold down the delete key to get into BIOS setup, it gives me a splash screen (picture attached) that says to press DEL to run setup, but when I press delete again, nothing happens, and after a few seconds it kicks me back to a split second POST screen, and then goes blank. I've tried clearing the CMOS, but it doesn't seem to help.

Anybody know what would cause this, and/or how to fix it?

Attachments

Reply 1 of 3, by aaronkatrini

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Start with the basics. A motherboard only needs CPU, GPU and Ram to post (and power of course). Make sure that you put in compatible and known working parts. Also if you can, post some photos of the motherboard, let's see if the caps haven't gone bad or if there is any broken traces on the PCB.