VOGONS

First post, by JonnyGators

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've been struggling to find any useful information about this motherboard.

I've been checking the wayback machine for archived versions of the epox.com website, but it seems all I can do is get to the basic specs, but anytime I try to initiate a download it doesn't have a file, or doesn't work....completely useless archive of the site.

Anyone have the documentation and/or drivers for this board?

Reply 2 of 7, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
JonnyGators wrote on 2020-09-13, 17:01:

I've been struggling to find any useful information about this motherboard.

I've been checking the wayback machine for archived versions of the epox.com website, but it seems all I can do is get to the basic specs, but anytime I try to initiate a download it doesn't have a file, or doesn't work....completely useless archive of the site.

Anyone have the documentation and/or drivers for this board?

You can find the BIOS & manual thru this link at Wayback

https://web.archive.org/web/20060527111428/ht … pox.nl/support/

though the driver file links seem dead. For those maybe try here (they also have the BIOS)

https://driverscollection.com/?H=EP-5PDAI&By=EPoX

Reply 3 of 7, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Added it here : http://www.win3x.org/uh19/motherboard/show/6258
This is our very first socket 775 motherboard 😁
(now if you can make a better photo please do so because the current one is really low res)

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 4 of 7, by JonnyGators

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks, that will come in handy.

Funny story....I was getting tired of building things, having them not turn on, unbuilding things, troubleshooting.....so I decided to put a few parts together on the bench and make sure things turned on and worked before building into the case. I wasn't getting video, but was getting a code of FF. I thought, ugh, I failed so hard it gave me 2 Fs. So my first thought was to get the original manual to look up the codes, which led me down a 2 hour rabbit hole of those wayback links, with broken links, before I finally decided to just try googling FF as an error code.....and got a return of "fully functional"

Uh.....all that searching to find out I don't have a problem? Wow.

So I reseated the video card, and, bam, booted right up.

I did the build, and have it capturing VHS tapes with virtualdub in Windows XP.

I may have to do some rebuilding at some point, I'll see if I can make a point to get a good picture of the board next time I have it out of the case.

Reply 5 of 7, by JonnyGators

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This has been an interesting computer so far.

Installing XP on it has a weird quirk - I lose access to a PS2 keyboard during the install. If I connect a usb keyboard instead, that works fine.

I've also been playing around with older OSs on it. I can get Windows 3.1 to install, and sorta got 95 installing (safe mode worked, I need to tinker some more). This board wouldn't support those, I know, but I'm looking to build something that I can install DOS and Windows 1 on, and upgrade through all the home versions up to 10, and this board/processor can do 10 (already tested that successfully).

But, there's something off about the PS2 ports. The XP quirk is troublesome, as this hardware should support installing XP. But I find that with 3.1 and 95, I have no PS2 mouse. I haven't tried USB yet - which if that works gives me a working workaround. But what I've also noticed is that, consistently, when the OS boots ,moving the mouse results in the pointer moving a little bit, perhaps 1 pixel, and that's it. No further movement from that point. So ,it seems that the mouse works - it sees the mouse, it responds to it, but it immediately locks up.

Anyways, not sure if anyone else out there has experience with these boards, or can offer insight to working with PS2 problems on this board. It just happened to be the cheapest ebay board at the moment that will take a P4 that can do Win10. I probably should have held out for an ASUS that would do it, I'm more familiar with those. But....this has been an interesting board so far.

Reply 6 of 7, by JonnyGators

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I picked up an Asus mobo to replace the build I had this board in, so it's now out of the case to go into storage. Here's a quick pic I snapped with my phone.

epox ep-5pdai.jpg
Filename
epox ep-5pdai.jpg
File size
1.16 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain
Last edited by Stiletto on 2020-10-31, 19:19. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 7 of 7, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks for the photo. It's a little blurry, but it's still quite an improvement over the photo that can be found online.

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative