VOGONS

First post, by Digidreamer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Morning all,

Here's a conundrum, spent a week trying to convert a Wyse V50 with the PCMCIA and SD Slot, Motherboard and spec looks like a V50L.
because of space issues, only option seems like a Vertical SSD DOM, which are a bit over priced. so making more space by using an extension. Which has thrown up sone strange results.
2 questions become obvious.
1' what does an IDE Gender Changer Do the pin configuration. (It's only basically long pins on a matrix pin 1 to Pin 1 Etc.)
2' Whats the internal difference between a Sata DOM and a Hard Drive

Fitting Storage device Status Notes
Direct on board Original vertical DOM 44pin 128Mb Working
44 pin IDE Cable /Gender changer Original vertical DOM 44pin 128Mb Not Working
44 pin IDE Cable /Gender changer Right Angle DOM 44Pin 1gb Not Working
44 pin IDE Cable /Gender changer Right angle CF Adaptor and Card Not Working Works on newer Clients (Rather basic, Jumper / LED)
44 pin IDE Cable Quality CF Adaptor and Card Working Seems to work with everything Has Voltage regulator, Jumper and LED
44 pin IDE Cable / Sata Bridge Sata DOM 16Gb Not Working (Mother boards sometime sees it on fresh boot disapers on reboot, Hangs when trying to access )
44 pin IDE Cable / Sata Bridge SATA 64Gb 2.5In SSD Working

External SSD I Thinks the preferred option.

Any ideas?

I Like Charity Shops, they're like steam and GOG but cheaper.

Windows 7 - HP730 Air cooled, 8Gb, GT1030
Windows 98se - Wyse V10LE 1.2Ghz, 1 Gb, 16Gb SSD
Windows 98se - Compaq Evo 550d SSF, P4 2Ghz, 1Gb, 60Gb(Partitioned)
Dos 6.2 - HP7510 512Mb, 4Gb

Reply 1 of 9, by BinaryDemon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't think this was the alternative you were looking for - but what I typically do for additional internal storage on Vx0 thin clients is use the internal usb headers. I don't use this for bootable storage - I still have the OS installed on the 44pin DOM but then I add a cheap flash drive for my games. Obviously the read/write speeds aren't amazing either but since I'm mostly using these for retro games it's less of an issue.

Sometimes I'll use the internal usb to power a small fan pointed at the heatsink as well, I know most people like thin clients because they are noiseless but I've always heard Vx0's have high failure rates and I think the 1.2ghz Vx0LE's run hot.

Check out DOSBox Distro:

https://sites.google.com/site/dosboxdistro/ [*]

a lightweight Linux distro (tinycore) which boots off a usb flash drive and goes straight to DOSBox.

Make your dos retrogaming experience portable!

Reply 2 of 9, by Digidreamer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks,

I need some speed, tried W2k, but it takes a while continuously accessing the CF card after boot and the desktop is temporally frozen till it's finished (Which will ware out the CF Card).
the main selling point was the PCMCIA slot for a Creative Audigy Z2 Cardbus I have.

I agree with the failure rate, I'll have to change a Cap at some point in the near future.

don't mind the idea of an external drive mounted on the case. more curious about why the Gender changer seems to make it not work, and the why the sata options are between a SATA DOM and a tradition SATA SSD drive.

Reply 3 of 9, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Not answering the question but proposing a different approach:
Instead of the DOM use an adapter like this and use it to connect the PCB of a small SSD (without case) somewhere inside the case. You can grad +5V from USB and if those SSDs/adaptors actually need +12V you can get that from the external PSU.
Hope it helps.👍

Btw. without having more info I suspect a flaky cable to be the issue.

Reply 4 of 9, by Digidreamer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks.

I thought an issue with the cable, but have tried 2 different cables with the same result. so not sure that's the issue.

i'm using something similar to https://www.amazon.co.uk/Adapter-YAODHAOD-Fem … ps%2C153&sr=8-4 because it's self contained.

but if the traditional SSD is working, counts out Power issue as they can be heavy on the juice in comparison with spinning disks.

I took my SSD apart, the boards the same size as the casing. not what I was hoping for. but have heard some ssd's are all space in in the case, but I don't have one of them, but an idea for a thread maybe?

may be the changer is causing an mirroring effect, pin 1 is pin 2 on the second row. (Makes my head hurt!!) like thishttp://www.cablesonline.com/644fetomaide.html and http://www.unitechelectronics.com/whyisitso.htm, (Head really Hurts!!)

Last edited by Digidreamer on 2020-09-21, 12:37. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 5 of 9, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I thought the other adaptor might be a better fit since a cable connects to it giving more flexibility on where one connects the SSD.
I only ever opened some small Sandisk SSD which had a PCB about a third of the size of the SSD case.
Anyway you already said you have no issue with the drive mounting on the outside so I guess there's no need.

Trying two cables at least makes them less likely the culprit. I have no other ideas, sorry.

Reply 6 of 9, by Digidreamer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Appreciated, Thanks

Reply 7 of 9, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This is my #1 reference page for Thin clients
https://www.parkytowers.me.uk/thin/wyse/vx0/WyseV90L.shtml

If your handy with soldering looks like it supports SATA natively.

I imagine thin client have high failure rates due to been left on 24/7 but unlike a sever aren't in nicely temperature controlled server rooms.
They also often outlast 2 rounds of office wide PC upgrades.

Reply 8 of 9, by Digidreamer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks, I get most of my ideas from there, kinda like a shop window . but still need to join the dots,

Native SATA can be problematical with installing older Os's which don't support it, nearly anything before XP sp3, the adapter dose it invisibly to the OS.

this one doesn't match his list, with dual screen (Think it's a splitter on the DVI port one analogue, 0ne Digital) badged as a v50 but internally a V50L with the Eden 800Mhz, single heatsink, forward ide Header and newer memory. or someone upgraded the motherboard which probably wouldn't happen. don't know if he'd want input on an update?

Reply 9 of 9, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Very good point about lack of support. I've gotten used to PC's with compatibility options in BIOS, If its included on a thin clients is down to luck.
I'm out of ideas I'm afraid.