VOGONS

First post, by Der Kuenringer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I want to use a modern PSU with a Win9x build. I intend to use Molex adapters on the SATA/IDE labeled 6pin connectors of the PSU, in order to power the (5v heavy) graphics card.
Overall, the PSU has enough juice on the 5V rail for my needs, but I'm wondering if enough of it will be present on these particular connectors. Will I get the required 12V & 5V levels with every possible connector, as long as 12V & 5V are present on them to start with, or is there some limit to what I can access specifically on an IDE/SATA labeled one?

Reply 1 of 5, by zyga64

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There are PSUs with 2 separate 12V lines, but as far as I know all 5V wires in PSU comes from the same point on PCB.
This was the case with all the power supplies I have seen so far.

S0 answer is Yes - you can get it from whatever you want (as long as there are enough pipes to deliver fuel 😀
The thicker the wire, or the more there are, the more current you can deliver.

1) VLSI SCAMP /286@20 /4M /CL-GD5422 /CMI8330
2) i420EX /486DX33 /16M /TGUI9440 /GUS+ALS100+MT32PI
3) i430FX /K6-2@400 /64M /Rage Pro PCI /ES1370+YMF718
4) i440BX /P!!!750 /256M /MX440 /SBLive!
5) iB75 /3470s /4G /HD7750 /HDA

Reply 2 of 5, by adalbert

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you are adapting SATA connectors: each SATA pin should be rated for 1.5A, 3x5V pins =4.5A (22.5W), 3x12V =4.5A (54W). But total current should not exceed 7.5A (there are only 5 ground pins). If PSU has standard Molex connectors they should provide more amps.

Repair/electronic stuff videos: https://www.youtube.com/c/adalbertfix
ISA Wi-fi + USB in T3200SXC: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WX30t3lYezs
GUI programming for Windows 3.11 (the easy way): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6L272OApVg

Reply 3 of 5, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I would not trust the SATA power connectors one bit. They are a crappy design in the first place and if you get a poor connection you can end up melting the connector, especially using it on a higher load.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 4 of 5, by Der Kuenringer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry, that might have been a bit misleading on my part. I was refering to the 6pin "IDE/SATA" labeled connectors on the PSU itself, the plan wasn't to use actual SATA power cables. Just PSU 6pin /w 5V -> Molex.

satapsu1.png

Thanks @zyga64, that was the answer I was looking for!

Reply 5 of 5, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Der Kuenringer wrote on 2020-09-29, 02:32:
Sorry, that might have been a bit misleading on my part. I was refering to the 6pin "IDE/SATA" labeled connectors on the PSU its […]
Show full quote

Sorry, that might have been a bit misleading on my part. I was refering to the 6pin "IDE/SATA" labeled connectors on the PSU itself, the plan wasn't to use actual SATA power cables. Just PSU 6pin /w 5V -> Molex.

satapsu1.png

Thanks @zyga64, that was the answer I was looking for!

That's a proprietary set of connectors for whatever modular PSU you have. If the connections are good and the Molex standard, the output will be as good as whatever the PSU is capable of delivering.