VOGONS

Slot 1 vs Super Socket 7

Topic actions

Reply 60 of 84, by pc-sound-legacy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
enaiel wrote on 2020-10-09, 19:20:

My happiness was short-lived, as the motherboard is not POSTing, but just making loud clicking sounds. I put in a POST diagnostic card, but it's not showing any error codes. I'm wondering if the CPU / fan got shaken around during shipping, so I might try to seat them again. Any other suggestions of what might be the problem?

What exactly makes clicking noises? Do you have other components to check? I would go this way:

Check Ram, CPU, ATX Power connector and VGA for propped connection
Check jumper settings
Clear CMOS
Step by step:
Exchange PSU if possible
Exchange VGA if possible
Exchange RAMif possible
Exchange CPU if possible
Alao look for bad caps and any other visible defects on the board

Hope you'll get it running

Reply 61 of 84, by enaiel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
pc-sound-legacy wrote on 2020-10-09, 19:57:
What exactly makes clicking noises? Do you have other components to check? I would go this way: […]
Show full quote

What exactly makes clicking noises? Do you have other components to check? I would go this way:

Check Ram, CPU, ATX Power connector and VGA for propped connection
Check jumper settings
Clear CMOS
Step by step:
Exchange PSU if possible
Exchange VGA if possible
Exchange RAMif possible
Exchange CPU if possible
Alao look for bad caps and any other visible defects on the board

Hope you'll get it running

I listened carefully, and the clicking sound seems to be coming from near the ISA slot.

I only have the CPU, RAM and ATX power connector connected. Checked for proper connection.
Checked jumpers, all look good.
Already cleared CMOS.
PSU was just used with a different motherboard yesterday, so should be good.
No VGA card, using onboard VGA right now.
Exchanged RAM, no difference.
Cannot see any bad caps or any other visible defects. Board looks pristine.
Have yet to replace the CPU, but running out of options.

I think identifying why there is this clicking sound is probably key to solving this problem. Has anyone experienced anything like this before?

#1 VIA C3 Ezra-T 1.0GHz / MSI MS-6368 / Voodoo2+ViRGE GX / SBPro2+YMF744+AWE64+SC-7
#2 Pentium III-S Tualatin 1.40GHz / QDI A10T / Voodoo3 3000+GF4 Ti4200 / Audigy+AU8830+SC-50

Reply 63 of 84, by enaiel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
appiah4 wrote on 2020-10-10, 15:42:

Might be some kind of relay that failed?

Maybe, it seems to generate a spike in current whenever it clicks. I think I'm going to have to return the board while I still can 🙁

#1 VIA C3 Ezra-T 1.0GHz / MSI MS-6368 / Voodoo2+ViRGE GX / SBPro2+YMF744+AWE64+SC-7
#2 Pentium III-S Tualatin 1.40GHz / QDI A10T / Voodoo3 3000+GF4 Ti4200 / Audigy+AU8830+SC-50

Reply 64 of 84, by enaiel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I checked the PS and realized that it doesn't have a -5V rail! Would that cause the clicking near the ISA slot and cause it not to POST?

Reply 66 of 84, by enaiel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Returned the motherboard. Project is on hold till I can find another Socket 370 mATX with ISA slot and VIA chipset.

Wish there was a place where folks from Vogons could trade parts, as at least you will know what you are getting. Parts from eBay are not only over priced, but also quite often not working 🙁

Reply 67 of 84, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
enaiel wrote on 2020-10-12, 02:37:

Wish there was a place where folks from Vogons could trade parts, as at least you will know what you are getting.

VCFED?

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 68 of 84, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
enaiel wrote on 2020-10-12, 02:37:

Returned the motherboard. Project is on hold till I can find another Socket 370 mATX with ISA slot and VIA chipset.

Wish there was a place where folks from Vogons could trade parts, as at least you will know what you are getting. Parts from eBay are not only over priced, but also quite often not working 🙁

Not specifically what you are asking for, but, as I have previously mentioned elsewhere on vogons, I have had good success and good prices with East European (Russian, Poland, Hungary, Ukraine) sellers on Ebay .

Some points to consider about these sellers :

For some reason, the prices even including shipping to Canada, have always been reasonable .
I have only bought from sellers with 100% ratings (pretty much all the sellers I considered buying from had such a rating, so it's not as if I was being picky ).
The sellers that I have bought from seems to specialize in re-selling old hardware, do a lots of it (as demonstrated by their sales history) and seem to know what they are doing (I have never gotten a DOA).
They often seem to have hardware that I want when closer alternatives do not exist (i.e. no North American sellers for a given item).

The main (and essentially only) disadvantage of dealing with sellers in Eastern Europe, from a Canadian perspective at leats, especially in these COVID-19 times, is the extreme shipping time (3 months is not unusual) . You really need to be patient .

Maybe the East is Europe's retro hardware recselling hub, I really do not know, but there is a lot of nice stuff to be found there .

That said, I have almost always had good experiences on Ebay, with sellers all over the world.

If the seller you are considering buying from does not seem to dabble much in retro hardware sales, but says the part was tested, I recommend you ask the seller some specific questions about how the testing was done . If you do not get a reasonable answer, I would skip that "opportunity" or at least re-considering it . I would not bother asking such things from a seller that does retro volume and has a good reputation .

On a semi-final note, especially (but not exclusively) concerning motherboards, video cards and PSUs (anything that heats up) from the very late 90s of to 2007ish (there were crappy caps before that too, but they were not as common), consider that whatever hardware you receive, even reasonably seller tested, may be on it's last legs (at least temporarily) because of the "capacitor plague" . Re-capping may be in required to regain full functionality, stability or to revive the part if it dies quickly . You may already know this, but it was worth mentioning, just in case.

On a final note, higher end Asus boards, VIA based or otherwise, from the early 2000s tended to have decent capacitors . An Asus CUV4X variant with an ISA slot (not all of them have one) should be a good options (mine have quality caps on them and still work fine).

Sorry for the long winded post.

Reply 70 of 84, by enaiel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

@dr_st

Had a look at VCFED forums but the for sale items seemed more older and more obscure than what I am looking for.

@darry

All good points. Maybe I should extend my horizons beyond the US. I did inspect the board for bad caps, but it looked pristine. The seller did have a bunch other motherboards for sale, so I guess I just got unlucky.
I did look for ASUS Socket 7 mATX boards as it is my favorite brand, but I cannot find one with an ISA slot unfortunately.

@Intel486dx33

You are probably right, but I am hoping that the VIA C3 will work on the existing i815 motherboard, so at least the slow down with the multipliers will work. I just won't have an ISA slot for a sound card till I find a replacement board.

Reply 71 of 84, by enaiel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

In a twist, the eBay seller gave me a refund and asked me to keep the board for parts. That was nice of them.

So I tried again to diagnose the issue. I "breadboarded" the motherboard, and this time I could tell that the ticking sound is coming from the pc speaker. Definitely some voltage is fluctuating and making the speaker tick like a clock instead of beep. Anyone seen something like this before? The only thing I haven't done is change the CPU, but would it "fix" something like this?

Reply 72 of 84, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
enaiel wrote on 2020-10-13, 02:35:

In a twist, the eBay seller gave me a refund and asked me to keep the board for parts. That was nice of them.

So I tried again to diagnose the issue. I "breadboarded" the motherboard, and this time I could tell that the ticking sound is coming from the pc speaker. Definitely some voltage is fluctuating and making the speaker tick like a clock instead of beep. Anyone seen something like this before? The only thing I haven't done is change the CPU, but would it "fix" something like this?

Do you have a POST Code analyzer board?

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 74 of 84, by enaiel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
appiah4 wrote on 2020-10-13, 06:48:

Do you have a POST Code analyzer board?

Yes, I already tried that, both no POST code is being displayed. Removing the memory does not POST a code or even give a beep.

Doornkaat wrote on 2020-10-13, 09:28:

The ticking speaker could also be a permenent reset.

What would cause a permanent reset?

Reply 75 of 84, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Lots of things. My first idea is a missing or wrongly set CMOS jumper or missing CMOS battery but it could also be caused by missing power good signal, a bad or maybe incompatible CPU, all sorts of defective ICs... It's anyone's guess really.

Reply 76 of 84, by enaiel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Doornkaat wrote on 2020-10-13, 15:23:

Lots of things. My first idea is a missing or wrongly set CMOS jumper or missing CMOS battery but it could also be caused by missing power good signal, a bad or maybe incompatible CPU, all sorts of defective ICs... It's anyone's guess really.

I've already verified the CMOS jumper and battery, and I will probably test it with the VIA C3 CPU when it arrives, but identifying defective ICs with no visible damage is out of my league.

Reply 77 of 84, by TechieDude

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I presume you have at least 2 S370 CPUs in your possesion. In that case, test the other one to see if it works. It's very unlikely the CPU is causing the system to not even power on, but not impossible if it somehow managed to short itself. Another possibility (again, VERY unlikely) is that the PSU, albeit in good working order, doesn't work with your particular board, because its +5v rail isn't strong enough. For clarity's sake, is the board in the case, or are you using some sort of ghetto testbench? What parts do you have laying around?

Reply 78 of 84, by enaiel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
TechieDude wrote on 2020-10-14, 22:51:

I presume you have at least 2 S370 CPUs in your possesion. In that case, test the other one to see if it works. It's very unlikely the CPU is causing the system to not even power on, but not impossible if it somehow managed to short itself. Another possibility (again, VERY unlikely) is that the PSU, albeit in good working order, doesn't work with your particular board, because its +5v rail isn't strong enough. For clarity's sake, is the board in the case, or are you using some sort of ghetto testbench? What parts do you have laying around?

The VIA C3 just arrived so I put it in since the board supports it. No ticking noise now, but still no POST, and no beeps even when there is no RAM. Nothing on the POST diagnostic card either. I don't have another PSU unfortunately, but I have plenty of RAM, video cards, sound cards, etc. Total ghetto test bench - motherboard is on a cardboard box and only connected to PSU via ATX power connector.

Reply 79 of 84, by TechieDude

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
enaiel wrote on 2020-10-16, 21:24:

The VIA C3 just arrived so I put it in since the board supports it. No ticking noise now, but still no POST, and no beeps even when there is no RAM. Nothing on the POST diagnostic card either. I don't have another PSU unfortunately, but I have plenty of RAM, video cards, sound cards, etc. Total ghetto test bench - motherboard is on a cardboard box and only connected to PSU via ATX power connector.

Hmm, have you tried cleaning the slots and the DIMMs? A toothbrush with rubbing alcohol works well for the former, and an eraser can work surprisingly well for the latter. However, since you mention the diagnostic card doesn't show anything, that might be a sign of something deeper. IIRC a diagnostic card should have shown something, even if it were a RAM issue, never used one though tbh. (Can anyone who has used one chime in?) I have a hunch it might be the BIOS chip. Would you happen to have an EEPROM burner?