VOGONS

First post, by AlessandroB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My IBM PC330 P75 has finally arrived.

The computer is really really beautiful (i will posto some pics later) , much more compact than the 350 series which has an extra 5 1/4 slot and a few more ISA slots. The computer was used in a beauty center very little and located inside a professional machine. Its condition is incredibly like new. Not even a speck of dust despite having 26 years of life! It looks like it just came out of the factory. I was the first to open the chassis, it is complete in all its parts, a wonderful collector's item.

But now we come to the advice I ask of you:

1)the computer is socket 5, it allows the bus at 50, 60, 66Mhz, there is also a fourth undocumented combination of the two jumpers that select the bus, but the computer just turned on shows me a generic "keyboard error", do you have any idea of because?

2) for now I will use it with the Pentium 75 which I find very cool, very close to the 486 DX2 I had to play as a kid, but still with an edge to play smoothly. The maximum CPU that can be installed is the P133, I don't think I'm going very far in the age of games, let's say 1997/98 maximum. Do you advise me to install a voodoo1? It now has a 1 Mb S3 Trio64.

3)It has no second level cache, but it has 11 weird slots for memory chips (SMD memory chip socket type) similar to those for video cards, accepts 256k or 512k of L2 chache, do you advise me to install it? if yes, how much?

4) I have a Sound blaster 2.0, a Sound blaster Pro 2.0 and an SB16 Value (CT 2770). I chose to insert the SB16, did I make the correct choice? Other tips?

5) I want to keep a mechanical hard drive, currently it has a 640 mega drive with IBM DOS 6.3 and Win3.11 installed. I would like to back up the disk so that I can restore it inside the same disk or inside a bigger disk while keeping the ability to boot, how do you advise me to proceed? At the time I seem to remember using a bootable CD-Rom with ghost. Is it the best solution? is there a more practical one? It is difficult to pu out the ide disk and it would be difficult for me to connect it directly to my Win10 PC (an HP Microserver).

6)To copy the data inside the computer I thought of 3 possible scenarios:
A) a Compact flash on the second ide channel which is seen by the system as D: from which I then copy the files to C: or I create the installation diskettes, this requires every time the computer to be turned off and the CF extracted.
B) A USB PCI card which, however, would require the installation of Win98SE to be able to copy the files.
C) using the network with WIN3.11, but it seems to me that it is very difficult to copy the files from WIN10 to WIN3.11. I would prefer choice "C" but I'm not sure it's feasible.

For now, thanks for your advice.

Reply 1 of 22, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

1.It just does not work, that´s it.
2. Voodoo will easily let you play older DOS/Windows titles even with a 75.
3. 256kb cache is enough. But more is nglible better.
4. Do not use SB 2, it is for XT to slow 386. SB 16 is the all around best choice. In reality allmost all games that are STEREO 8bit also are compatible with SB16.
5. I had the same model with a 3,2GB Seagate HDD.
6.Compact flash is a nice option YES.

I am aroused about any X86 motherboard that has full functional ISA slot. I think i have problem. Not really into that original (Turbo) XT,286,386 and CGA/EGA stuff. So just a DOS nut.
PS. If I upload RAR, it is a 16-bit DOS RAR Version 2.50.

Reply 2 of 22, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
AlessandroB wrote on 2020-10-09, 12:08:

2) for now I will use it with the Pentium 75 which I find very cool, very close to the 486 DX2 I had to play as a kid, but still with an edge to play smoothly. The maximum CPU that can be installed is the P133, I don't think I'm going very far in the age of games, let's say 1997/98 maximum. Do you advise me to install a voodoo1? It now has a 1 Mb S3 Trio64.

A Pentium 75 is not powerful enough to smoothly run some of the more demanding '96-97 games like Quake and Tomb Raider. Especially if you want to play them at higher resolutions like 640x480.

Having a Voodoo card would help with that, for games that support it.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 3 of 22, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Are you using a PS2 or USB keyboard?
If its USB change to a PS2 keyboard
If its PS2, try another keyboard, hopefully its stuck key or something otherwise you'll need to do some repairs on the motherboard itself.

Ghost is the easy option, adding a second harddrive and copying everything from c: to d: is also fine for dos. format d: /s will make it bootable should you ever install that drive as the master.
You can also get IDE to USB adpaters so you could plug it into your main PC and back it up, much easer then installing a PCI USB card and Win98.

Rest I wouldn't worry about till you get the keyboard working.

Reply 4 of 22, by AlessandroB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
chinny22 wrote on 2020-10-09, 16:29:
Are you using a PS2 or USB keyboard? If its USB change to a PS2 keyboard If its PS2, try another keyboard, hopefully its stuck k […]
Show full quote

If its PS2, try another keyboard, hopefully its stuck key or something otherwise you'll need to do some repairs on the motherboard itself.

Ghost is the easy option, adding a second harddrive and copying everything from c: to d: is also fine for dos. format d: /s will make it bootable should you ever install that drive as the master.
You can also get IDE to USB adpaters so you could plug it into your main PC and back it up, much easer then installing a PCI USB card and Win98.

Keyboard work perfectly if i not set the undocimentet setting for the bus frequency. The issue come only if i try to ise the unknow setting.

For backup drive is enough to install a second drive, format d: /s and doing something like copy c:\*.* d:

Reply 5 of 22, by rmay635703

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
AlessandroB wrote on 2020-10-09, 19:16:
Are you using a PS2 or USB keyboard? If its USB change to a PS2 keyboard If its PS2, try another keyboard, hopefully its stuck k […]
Show full quote

Keyboard work perfectly if i not set the undocimentet setting for the bus frequency. The issue come only if i try to ise the unknow setting.

For backup drive is enough to install a second drive, format d: /s and doing something like copy c:\*.* d:

Past experience is that the bus speed is either extremely low or extremely high set “undocumented “

I had a DIgital P75 system that would take ages to boot ending in a keyboard error if I set an Undocumented bus speed.

I decided to boot without the keyboard and then plug in, I discovered I had a 33mhz bus speed, everything ran fine once I got past the keyboard error.

Good Luck

Reply 6 of 22, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Nice system! As to your questions:
1) perhaps the jumper settings are for POD processors?
2) If you have the Voodoo, then why not? Otherwise, there's a very limited number of games that it will be useful for in pure DOS.
3) I agree that 256KB cache is fine and plenty. My Pentium system has no L2 and no option to upgrade. It doesn't lose much performance by missing it, so it's not a big deal IMO.
4) SB16 is the most period correct and you can't go wrong with it!
The others have answered 5/6 pretty well.

Share photos and more details as you progress with it!

Cheers

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 7 of 22, by AlessandroB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rmay635703 wrote on 2020-10-10, 00:31:
Past experience is that the bus speed is either extremely low or extremely high set “undocumented “ […]
Show full quote
AlessandroB wrote on 2020-10-09, 19:16:
Show full quote

Past experience is that the bus speed is either extremely low or extremely high set “undocumented “

I had a DIgital P75 system that would take ages to boot ending in a keyboard error if I set an Undocumented bus speed.

I decided to boot without the keyboard and then plug in, I discovered I had a 33mhz bus speed, everything ran fine once I got past the keyboard error.

Good Luck

Can i connect PS/2 Keyboard AFTER post? i not destroy everithing????

Reply 8 of 22, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
AlessandroB wrote on 2020-10-10, 08:11:

Can i connect PS/2 Keyboard AFTER post? i not destroy everithing????

Don't do this. You could cause damage.

PS2 devices are not hot-swappable.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 9 of 22, by Hezus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

For file transfer I often use a network card instead of a usb stick or CF card.

You can grab Mtcp software for msdos TCP support. Find the packet driver for your network card. Then set up your retro rig's entire drive as an FTP server. Connect it up to your network or use a utp crossover cable. Then log into the ftp server with your modern pc and you can copy over stuff quickly.

Visit my YT Channel!

Reply 10 of 22, by digistorm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Also, you should get Microsoft Network Client to work if your server / host has SMB 1 enabled and you create a public shared folder. Just make sure your firewall doesn’t let it out on the internet 😉. I use it with WFW 3.11 and the TCP/IP patch on my 486.

Reply 11 of 22, by AlessandroB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Hezus wrote on 2020-10-10, 09:16:

For file transfer I often use a network card instead of a usb stick or CF card.

You can grab Mtcp software for msdos TCP support. Find the packet driver for your network card. Then set up your retro rig's entire drive as an FTP server. Connect it up to your network or use a utp crossover cable. Then log into the ftp server with your modern pc and you can copy over stuff quickly.

i need a more precise step to follow... please.

Reply 12 of 22, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Honestly, I go old school with file transfers between old and new systems. I either use CDs (you can fit a lot of DOS programs on a multi-session 700MB CD), floppies, or physically move the hard drive back and forth. You can buy a USB to IDE hub to dock the drive into to access on a modern system.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 13 of 22, by AlessandroB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
clueless1 wrote on 2020-10-10, 11:12:

Honestly, I go old school with file transfers between old and new systems. I either use CDs (you can fit a lot of DOS programs on a multi-session 700MB CD), floppies, or physically move the hard drive back and forth. You can buy a USB to IDE hub to dock the drive into to access on a modern system.

if exchanging files over the network is really too complicated I will be forced to use the swap of the cf as drive D:

Reply 14 of 22, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

As you want to backup the entire hard drive, I would do the copy c:\ to d:\ option rather then network.
you'll need to use the xcopy command to create and copy subfolders

xcopy /v /e /h /r (Source) (Target)
xcopy /v /e /h /r c:\*.* d:\*.* - for example would copy the entire c drive to a d drive.

/v - verification
/e - folder's including empty one's
/h - hidden / system files
/r - read only files

More Information on switches
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc771254.aspx

Stolen from a post here as I can't remember the switches off the top of my head.
https://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/1209721-co … using-robocopy/

I agree though, once you have the backup investing the time to setup networking is worth it. As you have WFW that would be easier to use then Dos
https://youtu.be/4EsXnA4mt9g gives good idea of the setup steps

Reply 15 of 22, by p6889k

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You could use CF-IDE adapter with a bracket to make the CF slot externally accessible for easy removal when transferring files. E.g. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001JTO782 I use it in a 386 as the primary drive, but could easily be setup as secondary slave.

Sinclair ZX Spectrum 48k, 48k+, 128k, +2
Amiga 1200, 68030/40mhz
386DX/33, ET4000, SBPro2, MT32
Dual PPro/200, Millennium II, Voodoo 2, AWE32, SC-55
etc.

Reply 16 of 22, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
AlessandroB wrote on 2020-10-09, 12:08:
My IBM PC330 P75 has finally arrived. […]
Show full quote

My IBM PC330 P75 has finally arrived.

The computer is really really beautiful (i will posto some pics later) , much more compact than the 350 series which has an extra 5 1/4 slot and a few more ISA slots. The computer was used in a beauty center very little and located inside a professional machine. Its condition is incredibly like new. Not even a speck of dust despite having 26 years of life! It looks like it just came out of the factory. I was the first to open the chassis, it is complete in all its parts, a wonderful collector's item.

But now we come to the advice I ask of you:

1)the computer is socket 5, it allows the bus at 50, 60, 66Mhz, there is also a fourth undocumented combination of the two jumpers that select the bus, but the computer just turned on shows me a generic "keyboard error", do you have any idea of because?

Normally I'd expect it to be 55MHz in an So5 system, which shouldn't be a problem if 50 and 60MHz do work. Could be 75MHz though, in which case no surprise it doesn't work. Check the PLL those jumpers connect to, its datasheet should make clear what's going on.

For DOS? There's a very short list of Voodoo games. If you want to do one of those, it would help. If not, not.

3)It has no second level cache, but it has 11 weird slots for memory chips (SMD memory chip socket type) similar to those for video cards, accepts 256k or 512k of L2 chache, do you advise me to install it? if yes, how much?

Sure that's not for extra video memory for the onboard S3 Trio? A pic might help here.

4) I have a Sound blaster 2.0, a Sound blaster Pro 2.0 and an SB16 Value (CT 2770). I chose to insert the SB16, did I make the correct choice? Other tips?

Half. SB16 gives you SB16 support and in this case also OPL3 FM synth, but it doesn't do SBPro2 stereo correctly, and the filtering of the (DA) sound is quite different. Given you have the cards anyway I'd recommend using two - the SBPro2 (on A220 I7 D1 T4) for SB, and SBPro2 and the SB16 Value (on A240 I5 D3 H5 T6 P330) for SB16 and (buggy) MIDI, if you have MIDI devices.

You can then select which you want in game setup/installer by pointing to the relevant resources.

5) I want to keep a mechanical hard drive, currently it has a 640 mega drive with IBM DOS 6.3 and Win3.11 installed. I would like to back up the disk so that I can restore it inside the same disk or inside a bigger disk while keeping the ability to boot, how do you advise me to proceed? At the time I seem to remember using a bootable CD-Rom with ghost. Is it the best solution? is there a more practical one? It is difficult to pu out the ide disk and it would be difficult for me to connect it directly to my Win10 PC (an HP Microserver).

With DOS and Win3.x this is a lot simpler. Just dump the files to another drive, then when needed FAT16 format the original one (or replace with another FAT16 drive) and dump all the files back again. It should just work.

6)To copy the data inside the computer I thought of 3 possible scenarios: A) a Compact flash on the second ide channel which is […]
Show full quote

6)To copy the data inside the computer I thought of 3 possible scenarios:
A) a Compact flash on the second ide channel which is seen by the system as D: from which I then copy the files to C: or I create the installation diskettes, this requires every time the computer to be turned off and the CF extracted.
B) A USB PCI card which, however, would require the installation of Win98SE to be able to copy the files.
C) using the network with WIN3.11, but it seems to me that it is very difficult to copy the files from WIN10 to WIN3.11. I would prefer choice "C" but I'm not sure it's feasible.

For now, thanks for your advice.

I'd avoid Win3.11 and just use DOS, more specifically mTCP. Set up an FTP server on the DOS system with the mTCP FTP server (as browsing files in DOS is a pain), then access from any modern FTP program from the Win10 system - as Hezus already recommended

Reply 17 of 22, by AlessandroB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

1) Voodoo games for dos are different from voodoo games for windows.. if i install a Pentium133 and voodoo1/2 can i use the games for windows till 1998/99?

2)i need also a DOS driver for my isa etherlink3 for use mTCP?

3) i prefer to use only one sound card because the pc has only 3 slot. if it is better use sbpro2 i can use this.

4)i am totally sure about socket for cache because near the S3 chip there are also 2 socket for the video memory. Never seen a cache chip like that...

Reply 18 of 22, by AvalonH

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
AlessandroB wrote on 2020-10-12, 16:48:

1) Voodoo games for dos are different from voodoo games for windows.. if i install a Pentium133 and voodoo1/2 can i use the games for windows till 1998/99?

I wouldn't buy that 133mhz yet, Pentium 75 was the best classic pentium chip to overclock. I have had one running @100mhz since 1995 in a P54TP4 socket 5 board and it still works. It even overclocks to 133mhz and this is just using a heatskink with no fan.
Have a look on the motherboard and change the bus speed jumpers from 50mhz to 66 and it will overclock to 100mhz.

Reply 19 of 22, by Hezus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
AlessandroB wrote on 2020-10-12, 16:48:

2)i need also a DOS driver for my isa etherlink3 for use mTCP?

You would need the packet driver for that card. If I'm correct the etherlink III is the 3c509b card. The packet driver can be found here: http://files.mpoli.fi/hardware/NET/3COM/3C509.ZIP

Here is a great video on how to set up mtcp using that network card.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kQyYQHmFAUg

Visit my YT Channel!