The HP Pavilion XE736 Thread

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 33, by retrogamerguy1997

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Doornkaat wrote on 2020-10-19, 15:56:
retrogamerguy1997 wrote on 2020-10-19, 15:34:

Did a fresh Win98 install and I need drivers for the graphics card and the onboard sound. It seems nvidia doesn't have the drivers on their site anymore and I can't figure out where to get the sound driver.

Did you already have the MX4000? That changes things. 😁 Try those drivers: http://vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?fileid=1405&menustate=0

The mx 4000 isn't listed there.

EDIT: thanks for the link to the sound driver.

Reply 21 of 33, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
retrogamerguy1997 wrote on 2020-10-19, 16:00:
Doornkaat wrote on 2020-10-19, 15:56:
retrogamerguy1997 wrote on 2020-10-19, 15:34:

Did a fresh Win98 install and I need drivers for the graphics card and the onboard sound. It seems nvidia doesn't have the drivers on their site anymore and I can't figure out where to get the sound driver.

Did you already have the MX4000? That changes things. 😁 Try those drivers: http://vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?fileid=1405&menustate=0

The mx 4000 isn't listed there.

The chip on the GF4 MX 4000 is NV18. It came out in October 2002 and was used on the DDR variants of the GF4 MX 420/440/460. The driver is from 11/18/2002 and has support for those cards listed. This is why I think it should work. If it doesn't let me know please.
I also edited my previous post to include a possible driver for you sound chip.

Last edited by Doornkaat on 2020-10-19, 16:09. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 24 of 33, by retrogamerguy1997

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Doornkaat wrote on 2020-10-19, 16:11:

Win98 updates and NUSB if you want to easily use a USB flashdrive. 😉

Oh yeah I have the 2007-2008 autopatcher, but I don't have NUSB. Is there a link for that?

Reply 25 of 33, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Doornkaat wrote on 2020-10-19, 16:11:

Win98 updates and NUSB if you want to easily use a USB flashdrive. 😉

Other things for your CD
-Do you have a spare network card? put the drivers for that on the CD and you can transfer everything else over the network but you'll defiantly also need at a minimum
-File archive software of your choice (Winzip, Rar, etc)
-DirectX
- Chipset drivers, think 5.02.1003.zip is the correct one for your M/B
https://www.philscomputerlab.com/intel-chipset-drivers.html
-Quite often drivers or software will need the updated windows installer
https://archive.org/details/instmsi

@Doornkaat
I don't think you said anything out of place, To be fair you did say personally and even underlined it 😀
It's just everyone focused on the technical specs and never considered the nostalgic side which is what these rigs are all about end of the day!

Reply 27 of 33, by retrogamerguy1997

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
chinny22 wrote on 2020-10-19, 16:38:
Other things for your CD -Do you have a spare network card? put the drivers for that on the CD and you can transfer everything e […]
Show full quote

Other things for your CD
-Do you have a spare network card? put the drivers for that on the CD and you can transfer everything else over the network but you'll defiantly also need at a minimum
-File archive software of your choice (Winzip, Rar, etc)
-DirectX
- Chipset drivers, think 5.02.1003.zip is the correct one for your M/B
https://www.philscomputerlab.com/intel-chipset-drivers.html
-Quite often drivers or software will need the updated windows installer
https://archive.org/details/instmsi

-I might have a spare network card, but even then I have no way to hook it up to my router.
-The 2007 autopatcher includes 7-zip and Directx so I'm good there
-There appears to be a later version driver that supports the 810 chipset, should I grab it?

Reply 28 of 33, by retrogamerguy1997

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Okay, the nvidia driver you linked me doesn't seem to support my card, the audio driver did install but I still need to test it with speakers

EDIT: Audio driver works so far, just did the old canyon.mid test and the sound works and sounds as I'd expect it too.

EDIT2: Found a working graphics card driver on philscomputerlab

Reply 29 of 33, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
retrogamerguy1997 wrote on 2020-10-19, 18:34:

Okay, the nvidia driver you linked me doesn't seem to support my card, the audio driver did install but I still need to test it with speakers

EDIT: Audio driver works so far, just did the old canyon.mid test and the sound works and sounds as I'd expect it too.

EDIT2: Found a working graphics card driver on philscomputerlab

Great to hear you got it working and nice the audio driver works out of the box. 😀
What driver did you use for the graphics card?
Since the GPU chip itself is supported in the earlier driver but the card is not listed as compatible I tried adding the MX 4000 to the list of supported devices in NVAML.inf but I have no idea wether this actually works.
Would you mind trying the driver for me again? If it works it might give you better game compatibility.

Edit: Can't add the whole driver because of file size limit. Unzip the archive and use the included NVAML.inf to replace the original NVAML.inf in this driver.

Attachments

• Filename
    NVAML.zip
    File size
    4.69 KiB
    Downloads
    41 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 31 of 33, by retrogamerguy1997

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm bumping this topic to ask if it's worth getting an SD2IDE adapter for this computer? I already have a MicroSD to SD adapter and an 8GB MicroSD card which is roughly 2GB smaller than the hard drive that's in the computer but it would improve performance. Also, how much do they normally cost?

Reply 32 of 33, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
retrogamerguy1997 wrote on 2020-10-25, 13:47:

I'm bumping this topic to ask if it's worth getting an SD2IDE adapter for this computer? I already have a MicroSD to SD adapter and an 8GB MicroSD card which is roughly 2GB smaller than the hard drive that's in the computer but it would improve performance. Also, how much do they normally cost?

Next to nothing from China. And yes it's probably worth it.

Reply 33 of 33, by retrogamerguy1997

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

After the untimely death of the Abit BH6 that was from my grandpa, I returned to this computer and have added in the AOPEN AW744L II sound card. No IRQ conflicts in the hp thankfully, but I noticed some popping when playing Doom. And when playing doom the music was muffled, but the sound effects were loud. I will test a Windows game later (Need for Speed High Stakes). I also tested the floppy drive the hp had because I remembered I actually never tested that and yeah that's dead. I was also disappointed the 8.4GB IBM hard drive that I used in my Abit BH6 Pentium 2 build wouldn't fit in 2nd hard drive bay.