VOGONS

First post, by Joyride

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi!
I have a 386 with motherboard 386WB https://stason.org/TULARC/pc/motherboards/S/S … -386-386WB.html
One day the mouse just stopped working.
I have after that tried 4 different I/O controller cards without any results.
I have also tried to remove Keyboard bios and bootning up then put it in again.
This drives me crazy!

The computer works perfect only mouse problem.

Can someone please help me?

Reply 2 of 12, by SodaSuccubus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If it stopped working one day, that kinda makes me think the rodent hit the trap and has unfortunately expired 🙁

But before you toss it away, first the obvious: try the mouse with another computer to isolate it.

You can also try another mouse driver like Cutemouse and force search different COMs . Swapping the ISA slot your using for your IO card might help too, incase something on the slot is wack.

Reply 3 of 12, by hwh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My mouse was going intermittent. I examined and it has one cylindrical capacitor and four little flat ones (104s). I decided to try replacing the big one. And I did. And the mouse now works normally again.

You might want to inspect your mouse also.

Reply 5 of 12, by Joyride

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
gca wrote on 2020-11-04, 23:19:

Have you tried the obvious and changed the mouse for a known good one and if so does the problem persist even with the new rodent in place?

Hi and thanks! Yes i have tried with many different mouses.

Reply 6 of 12, by Joyride

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
SodaSuccubus wrote on 2020-11-04, 23:44:

If it stopped working one day, that kinda makes me think the rodent hit the trap and has unfortunately expired 🙁

But before you toss it away, first the obvious: try the mouse with another computer to isolate it.

You can also try another mouse driver like Cutemouse and force search different COMs . Swapping the ISA slot your using for your IO card might help too, incase something on the slot is wack.

Thanks! Yes i have already tried that. CT and microsoft drivers non work 🙁

Reply 8 of 12, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Rail on the mobo might have a break in it.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 9 of 12, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Joyride wrote on 2020-11-13, 08:18:
GigAHerZ wrote on 2020-11-05, 08:24:

Maybe PSU's negative 12V line died...

Thanks! I have already tried 3 psu´s but it didnt help.

Still, did you take out the multimeter? And also, measure the -12V from the COM port as well. While PSU might be fine, the negative 12V on motherboard (or IO card) may not be.

Last edited by GigAHerZ on 2020-11-13, 09:20. Edited 1 time in total.

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - And i intend to get every last bit out of it even after loading every damn driver!

Reply 10 of 12, by SSTV2

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This "serial mouse doesn't work or stopped working" problem comes up regularly on VOGONS and the culprit is always the same - either missing or too low one of the two +12/-12V voltages in the ISA slots. Measure them and check corresponding AT power connector pins for corrosion or look for shunting/shorted filter capacitors on the corresponding voltage lines.

Reply 11 of 12, by Joyride

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
SSTV2 wrote on 2020-11-13, 09:05:

This "serial mouse doesn't work or stopped working" problem comes up regularly on VOGONS and the culprit is always the same - either missing or too low one of the two +12/-12V voltages in the ISA slots. Measure them and check corresponding AT power connector pins for corrosion or look for shunting/shorted filter capacitors on the corresponding voltage lines.

Thanks! Yes there are corrosion from leaked battery. Maybe i can connect a wire? I got to measure first.

Reply 12 of 12, by Joyride

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
SSTV2 wrote on 2020-11-13, 09:05:

It works now =) i found 3 damaged voltage lines. Thanks alot =)