Reply 20 of 30, by DenkoRetro

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
darry wrote on 2020-11-16, 21:15:
DenkoRetro wrote on 2020-11-16, 20:30:

Thank you so much! 😀

I have tried the inf mod in 2 slightly different ways and will post the resulting driver sets . It is VERY important that you do this Re: VDX-drivers for Audigy 2 (not ZS!!) before EVERY try at installing one of them .

Win9xdrv_8069_c.zip

And here is the other one .

Win9xdrv_8069_b.zip

Thank you, but It's the same problem! 🙁
The sound works fine until I restart the computer.

How many CD's with drivers are they? Why is Creative cards so hard to rum?

Reply 21 of 30, by DenkoRetro

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
I have tried the inf mod in 2 slightly different ways and will post the resulting driver sets . It is VERY important that you do […]
Show full quote
darry wrote on 2020-11-16, 20:24:

Sorry to hear that . If Windows keeps doing that at every boot, the best bet is to completely remove the drivers in safe mode ( including the inf files) and try to find another driver that works on your system . I'll see if I can find other drivers .

Thank you so much! 😀

I have tried the inf mod in 2 slightly different ways and will post the resulting driver sets . It is VERY important that you do this Re: VDX-drivers for Audigy 2 (not ZS!!) before EVERY try at installing one of them .

Win9xdrv_8069_c.zip

EDIT : According to information I have seen in WDM driver INFs, your card seems to be an SB101 SB0101 variant, rather than an SB100 (even if that is what is written on the PCB) .

I also tried the C drivers, but same thing happens.

I'll try to find a driver CD for SB0101 and see if it works, thank you!

Reply 22 of 30, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
DenkoRetro wrote on 2020-11-16, 22:28:
I have tried the inf mod in 2 slightly different ways and will post the resulting driver sets . It is VERY important that you do […]
Show full quote

Thank you so much! 😀

Win9xdrv_8069_c.zip

EDIT : According to information I have seen in WDM driver INFs, your card seems to be an SB101 SB0101 variant, rather than an SB100 (even if that is what is written on the PCB) .

I also tried the C drivers, but same thing happens.

I'll try to find a driver CD for SB0101 and see if it works, thank you!

Sorry it did not work .

Good luck in your search . I only found WDM drivers for your card, no VXD ones .

I currently use a CT4830 (original SB Live! Value, I believe), as I mentioned before . It works well for me with VXD drivers .

Reply 24 of 30, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
aha2940 wrote on 2020-11-17, 03:39:

I use these VXD drivers for SB0100 on Win98/ME: https://www.philscomputerlab.com/sound-blaster-live.html

These are identical to the ones that were already tried . I compared SHA-256 checksums .

EDIT : OP has a card whose EEPROM contents identifies it as an SB0101 http://ixbtlabs.com/articles/livetolive51/index.html

See also we110k15.inf from https://archive.org/details/sound-blaster-sb0100-retail-disc :

; Creative Technology Ltd.
; Copyright (c) Creative Technology Ltd, 1994-2001.
;
; Description
; This inf file contains the following device for installation
; Full-Feature WDM installation.
; b. SB0101 - SBlive! Value PCI\VEN_1102&DEV_0002&SUBSYS_80691102
;
; Date : 21 June 2001
; Revision : 1.08

Reply 25 of 30, by TechieDude

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kolderman wrote on 2020-11-16, 22:23:

Oh that makes sense. I currently use the SB0100 in a "late win98" PC (think P4 3ghz etc) with WDM drivers, and playing 2000+ games (e.g. bf1942) and it sounds and works fine. If I was building a "early win98/win95" machine (e.g. 95'-99 games), I would certainly use a card that worked with VXD drivers. Only problem, that era of systems I usually build around s370 boards with Via chipsets that have their own issues with SB Live!...

If your SB Live! doesn't share IRQs with other PCI devices, you should be fine even on VIA chipsets. In fact, I have used that exact config for about 4 years and I didn't even know anyone had such issues until a few months ago!

Reply 26 of 30, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TechieDude wrote on 2020-11-17, 17:05:
kolderman wrote on 2020-11-16, 22:23:

Oh that makes sense. I currently use the SB0100 in a "late win98" PC (think P4 3ghz etc) with WDM drivers, and playing 2000+ games (e.g. bf1942) and it sounds and works fine. If I was building a "early win98/win95" machine (e.g. 95'-99 games), I would certainly use a card that worked with VXD drivers. Only problem, that era of systems I usually build around s370 boards with Via chipsets that have their own issues with SB Live!...

If your SB Live! doesn't share IRQs with other PCI devices, you should be fine even on VIA chipsets. In fact, I have used that exact config for about 4 years and I didn't even know anyone had such issues until a few months ago!

No it's not that, Creative did not the implement the PCI protocol properly and it causes problems with at least some of the Apollo Pro 133 chipsets.

Reply 27 of 30, by TechieDude

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kolderman wrote on 2020-11-17, 18:48:

No it's not that, Creative did not the implement the PCI protocol properly and it causes problems with at least some of the Apollo Pro 133 chipsets.

From what I gather, the part of the PCI protocol that Creative botched was sharing IRQs, which didn't occur to me on two different boards: SOYO SY-6VBA133 (Apollo Pro 133) and QDI Advance 10T (Apollo Pro 133T), both of them with the same SB0060 and VXD drivers with no issues about sound. While I no longer have the SOYO board, I still have a system built around the QDI one problem-free. The only thing I can point my finger at is the fact the SB Live! doesn't share IRQs with anything on my config. I have also seen other posts on forums (including this one) that report the card works fine on these chipsets when it doesn't share IRQs.

Reply 28 of 30, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TechieDude wrote on 2020-11-17, 22:11:
kolderman wrote on 2020-11-17, 18:48:

From what I gather, the part of the PCI protocol that Creative botched was sharing IRQs, which didn't occur to me on two different boards: SOYO SY-6VBA133 (Apollo Pro 133) and QDI Advance 10T (Apollo Pro 133T), both of them with the same SB0060 and VXD drivers with no issues about sound. While I no longer have the SOYO board, I still have a system built around the QDI one problem-free. The only thing I can point my finger at is the fact the SB Live! doesn't share IRQs with anything on my config. I have also seen other posts on forums (including this one) that report the card works fine on these chipsets when it doesn't share IRQs.

Well I tried every PCI slot on my mobo with no luck, same problem with Audigy1. Tried an Audigy2 ZS and it works flawlessly. (both other sound cards worked elsewhere).

Reply 29 of 30, by TechieDude

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kolderman wrote on 2020-11-17, 23:18:

Well I tried every PCI slot on my mobo with no luck, same problem with Audigy1. Tried an Audigy2 ZS and it works flawlessly. (both other sound cards worked elsewhere).

Well, not everything works for everyone. Maybe all of the slots shared IRQs with other devices, but now that's really just a shot in the dark. What board is it anyway? BTW Audigy 2 and later is when Creative FINALLY fixed that annoying issue (took their sweet time).

Reply 30 of 30, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TechieDude wrote on 2020-11-17, 23:38:
kolderman wrote on 2020-11-17, 23:18:

Well, not everything works for everyone. Maybe all of the slots shared IRQs with other devices, but now that's really just a shot in the dark. What board is it anyway? BTW Audigy 2 and later is when Creative FINALLY fixed that annoying issue (took their sweet time).

I think it's probably the Gigabyte GA-5AX, but might be another similar board.