VOGONS

First post, by AngieAndretti

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just received an IBM 5170 AT-class 286 PC!
Retro PC's have become my hobby and I'm pretty fluent in everything 386-present but this 5170 is pushing my horizons a bit, so I could use a little advice.

My 5170 has 512KB base memory onboard - and that's it. The seller also included a loose "Maximizer AT" 16-bit ISA RAM card with original manual. I've been able to configure this card to fill out the base memory to 640KB, and add an additional 1MB of what the manual calls "expansion memory." Man, expanded memory versus extended memory, high memory, upper memory, ugh! It's hard to keep it straight.

Here's the output from the mem command in DOS 6.22 with himem.sys loaded, showing what I have now:
Memory Type..........Total....Used.......Free
---------------- ------- ---------
Conventional..........640K......17K.....623K
Upper..........................0K....... 0K.........0K
Reserved..................384K...384K.........0K
Extended (XMS)....1,024K.....64K....960K
---------------- ------- ---------
Total memory.......2,048K...465K..1,583K
Total under 1 MB.....640K.......17K....623K
Largest executable program size......623K
Largest free upper memory block.........0K
MS-DOS is resident in the high memory area.

My next goal is to get Windows 3.1 running on this machine. I know I don't absolutely need it but I'd love to have 4MB of memory available for that, but the Maximizer AT card only supports up to 1.5MB after filling out the base memory. That last 512KB is populated on the board btw, but I get parity errors when I enable it. I've moved chips around and the error still always points to the same location so I've settled on this being just a 1MB card. So the next step is I need to choose another ISA memory card, but I need advice/help choosing. I'd prefer to get something period-correct, although I do understand there are some modern "Lo-Tech" 8-bit cards with 1MB or 2MB - but I'm having a tough time figuring out whether they'd even provide the "right type" of memory for my use-case. I'm also assuming there would be a performance bottleneck versus a 16-bit ISA card.

I'd like to get something like this:
#1 https://www.ebay.com/itm/254530549818 "JE1084 board"
or this:
#2 https://www.ebay.com/itm/184359737433 "BocaRam AT"
or even this:
#3 https://www.ebay.com/itm/324372089575 "BocaRam BRAT90"

The first one looks like it would be easy to work with because it uses SIMMs and could give me all the RAM I'd ever want. It appears to be configured by switches - but I cannot find ANY documentation for it (how to set the switches).
Number two looks to have 1.5MB RAM installed, and it's the only one I've actually found documentation for so far, but it's not a sure-thing because the terms of sale are such that I'm stuck with it if it arrives dead. The others aren't like that.
Number three should work IF I could find the software required to configure it, but so far I haven't been able to find it.

I'm fine with other suggestions, or even a modern product if there's something available that will definitely work for my scenario. Any thoughts??

Reply 2 of 7, by AngieAndretti

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

What about the first item I listed? I'm really leaning toward purchasing the first one right now - unless someone here knows that it won't do what I want.
I like the BocaRAM boards too but the first item I listed will (if it works) give me 4mb in one clean shot and that seller will let me send it back if it doesn't work, whereas the BocaRAM seller will not.

Reply 3 of 7, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't recognize the first one. I know for a fact how to get and install the drivers and documentation for the Boca products. The first one may be fine but good luck figuring out the DIP switches and getting an expanded memory driver for it.

Fyi all 3 of these listings are heavily overpriced. I got my BocaRAM AT Plus for like $50 shipped

Reply 4 of 7, by AngieAndretti

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm with you on them being overpriced, but the only cheap options I found on eBay are 8-bit cards like the 6-packs. If there's some place else I should be looking, do tell. However if you're suggesting I just wait until a better deal comes along, meh, I'm impatient. This is what I do to amuse myself in quasi-quarantine-land. I have a living room full of retro computer hardware that I paid too much for, but it makes me happy playing with it.

Regarding a driver, I get the feeling you think it's unlikely that himem.sys will know what to do with that generic card? I ask because the board I have just works. Set the switches, run IBM diagnostics and tell it how much memory you dialed-in, and himem.sys sees XMS memory. I haven't loaded any custom driver whatsoever.

Since you mention being familiar with Boca products and where to get their drivers, etc, can you point me somewhere for the Boca BRAT90 stuff? I found a driver archive for the BocaRAM AT Plus, and up to the BRAT60 IIRC, but nothing for the 90.

Reply 5 of 7, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

AFAIK the BRAT90 will work with this driver, same as the rest of the plus line

For the BocaRAM AT Plus series, the driver is needed to configure the cards - they don't have DIP switches. Additionally, you will need a driver for any memory board if you wish to use expanded memory. (Which a fair swath of 286 software relies on)

Attachments

• Filename
    BRP1_07.ZIP
    File size
    111.32 KiB
    Downloads
    43 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 7 of 7, by AngieAndretti

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

As promised, an update: The BRAT90 card worked like a dream! Used the BocaRAM AT Plus driver as suggested and it was delightfully seamless!
I haven't received the four matching SIMMs I mentioned yet (hopefully soon) but I borrowed a couple of 3-chip 1MB SIMMs from an old SoundBlaster card - and they're working fine in the meantime.
Thanks again for the help!