VOGONS

First post, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi there,
long story short ... I ended up with above board with the earliest chipset revision, which sucks rather badly (either the onboard IDE doesn't work or you're stuck with DX2 CPUs, as DX4/PODs won't work). Now I've got the idea to transplant a more modern revision of the chipset (salvaged from a generic board) onto my 1.2 board, but am unsure if that's possible, considering there are also PCB revisions 1.21, 1.22 and 1.8 around.
So if you own an Asus PVI-486SP3 it would be largely appreciated if you could post your chipset + pcb combination. Sadly most images I could find on google are too small to read the chipset revision.
From the looks of it, the pinout never changed: ftp://retronn.de/docs/chipset/SiS%20496-497.pdf which has me positive that chipset revision B4 might work on my 1.2 board.

Combinations I've found so far:
PCB Rev 1.2 A4 (MU/MW)
PCB Rev 1.2 B2 (NU/NS)
PCB Rev 1.21 B4 (OT/OR)
PCB Rev 1.22 B4 (OT/OR)
PCB Rev 1.8 B4 (NV/NU)

How to read the chipset revisions:
http://gboeger.de/Computer/Asus_PVI486SP3/pvisp3-004.html

Last edited by shock__ on 2020-11-22, 22:14. Edited 1 time in total.

Current Project: new GUS PnP compatible soundcard

[Z?]

Reply 1 of 9, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My 1.22 and 1.8 have the chipset versions you posted.

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 2 of 9, by frudi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a 1.22 pcb + B4 (OT/OR) chipset combination, which is already on your list. Except my board still doesn't seem to support multipliers above 2x (I tried AMD's NV8T and SV8B and Intel's &E, none of them work at 3x, at most only at 2x). Maybe I should try a different BIOS revision, I think it's currently on 0307. Then again, when I got the board, most of it was covered in hardened polyurethane foam, so I suppose I'm lucky it even works at all after all it's been through.

Reply 3 of 9, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
frudi wrote on 2020-11-22, 21:40:

I have a 1.22 pcb + B4 (OT/OR) chipset combination, which is already on your list. Except my board still doesn't seem to support multipliers above 2x (I tried AMD's NV8T and SV8B and Intel's &E, none of them work at 3x, at most only at 2x). Maybe I should try a different BIOS revision, I think it's currently on 0307. Then again, when I got the board, most of it was covered in hardened polyurethane foam, so I suppose I'm lucky it even works at all after all it's been through.

BIOS rev 0307 is the latest beta, with y2k support. My 1.22 wouldn't boot with a Cx486DX4, haven't tried it with a DX2 yet.

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 4 of 9, by pshipkov

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This is a table I found a while ago:
A4: SIS 496 MU, SIS 497 MW
B2: SIS 496 NU, SIS 497 NS
B3: SIS 496 NV, SIS 497 NS
B4: SIS 496 NV, SIS 497 NU
B5: SIS 496 OR, SIS 497 OT

The main difference between the chipset versions is that A4 supports up to PIO mode 2, the B# ones support PIO mode 3 and 4.
B2 NU/NS is PIO3 buggy.
My understanding is that the last board revision is 1.22 (twenty-two) with OR/OT chipset version.

retro bits and bytes

Reply 9 of 9, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That might help - thanks a lot. Seems like the changes are likely minor and mostly related to the silkscreen for the clock generator circuit.
Other than that I've only found 1 additional resistor and one unpopulated footprint.

Current Project: new GUS PnP compatible soundcard

[Z?]