VOGONS

Reply 20 of 24, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

32GB storage or till 32GB is still very nice to have for an older Pentium 1 motherboard that having the y2k bug and cant handle larger storage devices then 3.2 GB.. Then this rom would overule them both.

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 21 of 24, by fosterwj03

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hey guys. Sorry to necro an older thread, but I have one of these DTC 1181 cards with an older BIOS on the ROM chip. I'd like to upgrade it to the BIOS posted here or use XTIDE with it. Could you tell me what EPROMs might be compatible with it? Thanks.

Reply 22 of 24, by TRS-Eric

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

@ fosterwj03, wow you're in luck, I was just working on this 😀

So I plugged mine into the eeprom reader, my chip is labeled TMS27PC256-70JL. It dumped without any trouble. See attached.

file.php?mode=view&id=171262

The file is completely different than what I expected and what was dumped here by OP, and almost certainly doesn't contain any eide code. I suspect this is an aftermarket ROM someone loaded up 😀

I'm using a XGecu Pro (knockoff) to read the rom. Enjoy!

Attachments

Reply 23 of 24, by fosterwj03

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
TRS-Eric wrote on 2023-08-16, 19:46:
@ fosterwj03, wow you're in luck, I was just working on this :) […]
Show full quote

@ fosterwj03, wow you're in luck, I was just working on this 😀

So I plugged mine into the eeprom reader, my chip is labeled TMS27PC256-70JL. It dumped without any trouble. See attached.

The file is completely different than what I expected and what was dumped here by OP, and almost certainly doesn't contain any eide code. I suspect this is an aftermarket ROM someone loaded up 😀

I'm using a XGecu Pro (knockoff) to read the rom. Enjoy!

Thanks, but I decided to go in a bit of a different direction. I realized since my previous post that I had an ISA network card with both 28-pin and 32-pin ROM sockets. I now plan to use XT-IDE or the DTC1181 Y2K BIOS with my network card once I figure out a cheap way to program one of the EEPROMs (AT29C512) I purchased.

Reply 24 of 24, by fosterwj03

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It took some trial and error, but I manage to burn a working copy of the Y2K BIOS onto one of the 64K EEPROMs using a Realtek PCI network card (it has the RTL8139C chip).

I'm using the EEPROM in a Realtek RTL8019-based ISA card in my IBM 300GL which normally only handles drives up to 8GB in size. I had to muck with the card's I/O settings a bit to find open resources, but now I have the computer booting with drives up to 32GB in size. Perfect for me; in fact, I plan to mostly use 16GB SD cards with it.

There is one weird thing with the IBM, though. It now halts the boot sequence (both hard and soft) with an error about a configuration change regardless of how I saved BIOS settings on the previous boot. The computer continues to boot properly if I exit the error screen, but it is very annoying.

Update: I also found out this BIOS breaks the computer's ability to boot from CD. I wonder if XT-IDE would have the same effect (I haven't had time to prepare another boot ROM). It's not a big deal since I have a Gotek in the computer, but I do find CD booting a little faster than floppy.