VOGONS

Reply 20 of 31, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If you include the failing hard drive. I had a ST3144A fail and howled loud that you can hear from next room.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 21 of 31, by Vynix

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

IBM Ultrastar 9ES "Draco", I always called that one the "Typewriter" HDD as it makes a bunch of clickety-clacking (a la Seagate ST-251) when it spins up and initializes.

Proud owner of a Shuttle HOT-555A 430VX motherboard and two wonderful retro laptops, namely a Compaq Armada 1700 [nonfunctional] and a HP Omnibook XE3-GC [fully working :p]

Reply 22 of 31, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Seagate ST31220A. I have 2 of these and I would have loved to use one of them in a old dos PC because of the dual drive emulation mode. I'm sorry... I just couldn't.

Filename
seagate.mp3
File size
232.42 KiB
Downloads
46 downloads
File license
Public domain

Reply 23 of 31, by TelamonLivesOn

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Baoran wrote on 2020-11-26, 04:40:

Seagate ST31220A. I have 2 of these and I would have loved to use one of them in a old dos PC because of the dual drive emulation mode. I'm sorry... I just couldn't.

seagate.mp3

OWWWW, MY EARS!!! I understand why you didn't want them in a dos machine.....

Reply 24 of 31, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Baoran wrote on 2020-11-26, 04:40:

seagate.mp3

Wow that is intense how loud that is. It kinda sounds like pneumatic grinder.

Reply 26 of 31, by eisapc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My loudest is an HP C2490 2 GB SCSI drive followed by an IBM 18 GB SCSI Ultrastar.
Both drives make noise you immediately want to leave the room.
Both are still working fine, but you really do not want to operate any of these.

Reply 27 of 31, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This is mine, jump to 1:00 if you want to skip right to the offending drive
https://youtu.be/Y_ztYj80HSY

When that video was made the last 3 HDD's were 18GB Seagate Cheetah ST318203LC so the drive before gives an idea how noisy it should be.
I'm not bothered by fan/HDD noise for the most part. but that drive is pushing my limits, that said I just used it to replace a failed drive in another build. I'm not sure how long it'll stay.

Reply 29 of 31, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Currently on my desk is very noisy SCSI IBM DGVS09Y 9GB - it's a full height drive. I use this machine (BX chipset and P2-450) for testing different early AGP video cards - Voodoos, TNT, Kyro...

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 30 of 31, by SSTV2

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Seagate ST32550 series, for the true experience, increase volume untill it sounds like an angle grinder. Sitting just a few minutes near a PC with those hard drives idling cause serious ear ringing and headache.

Reply 31 of 31, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

WD 24300
https://youtu.be/8uVw2LmYHkw
Used it to see how does a 1.6GHz Pentium 4 handle itself today for web browsing using Debian.
Used it for a day and didn't have the willpower to touch it on since.

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png