VOGONS

First post, by stinkydiver

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi Vogons

I've been tried to get a new motherboard purchase up and running.

After much testing and troubleshooting I have determined the cache is faulty.

I have some chips I have pulled from a dead 386 motherboard, and was hoping to use these. However I am unable to find any information on them online (I am hoping they are compatible with my board). Can anyone shed some light?

I've attached some photos.

Installation history as follows...
FYI the board arrived with the CPU voltage regulator snapped clean off.. thankfully I had planned to use a 5volt 486DX2 66. The board is booting with this fine.
1. Tried various ram combinations. Seems the system will only POST if the 4 simm slots are all populated. Ram at boot totals 3712KB
2. Found working HDD, Installed dos 6.22 OK. Rebooted a few times with no issues.
3. Did some cable management...
4. System boots and starts giving a XMS error (see pic attached)
5. Tried replacing all ram chips. No change
6. Disabled external cache and error goes away
7. Enabled cache (error returns) and tried a few dos operations - system unstable
8. Disabled cache and system is stable

Is is strange the cache initially seemed to be fine. Then the XMS error started after I was (carefully) tinkering in the case adjusting the layout.

A

Attachments

• XMS Error.JPG
    Filename
    XMS Error.JPG
    File size
    1.46 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • Replacment Cache.JPG
    Filename
    Replacment Cache.JPG
    File size
    1.99 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • Faulty Cache.JPG
    Filename
    Faulty Cache.JPG
    File size
    1.7 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
Last edited by stinkydiver on 2020-11-26, 02:28. Edited 1 time in total.

Take that there and put it in here

Reply 1 of 19, by stinkydiver

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

OK so I just ran CacheChk with my external cache disabled and internal enabled. Why would it not pick up my L1? Also is the "It looks like RAM at megabyte #3 is REALLY slow!" message to do with my external cache?

I tried swapping out all the ram modules and got the same result.

Cheers

Attachments

• CacheChk.JPG
    Filename
    CacheChk.JPG
    File size
    1.64 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 3 of 19, by stinkydiver

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

OK so I've removed all the cachechips and still getting the slow RAM at megabyte #3 message.

However, when I enabled the external cache in the bios and rebooted it is now saying I have 512KB installed after post!? (prior it was 256KB, when enabled)

Reply 4 of 19, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Is turbo enabled? Usually weird low scores are because turbo is disabled... Look for the turbo button header.

Some boards change bus speed, some disable L1 and / or L2 cache or some combination of all with the turbo button.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 5 of 19, by stinkydiver

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The turbo headers have nothing attached at the moment. I'll double check the bios, but I am pretty sure having the turbo enabled/disabled has no effect.

Also, I tried disabling the internal cache and the "RAM at megabyte #3 is REALLY slow" cachechk message went away...

Is this motherboard spitting the dummy or is the behaviour of some bad jumper settings somewhere (I can't find the exact manual which doesn't help. Only boards with a very similar but not exact layout)

Reply 6 of 19, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

🤣 love the topic you chose: "Cache woes. Is it Faulty or is it the Motherboard being spastic?"
Are all the ram SIMMS the exact same ? If not could explain the "RAM at megabyte #3 is REALLY slow". Also try cleaning the simm sockets and simm edge contacts with ISO Alc.
You should also try the cache chips again, make sure you inspect each socket and then insert them firmly (press hard after carefully inserting), make sure you put them in correctly.
Before running any tests reset the BIOS to defaults. You have 25nS cache chips which require extra wait states at 33Mhz versus 20nS of many other boards.
Just checked and all of my 386 have 20nS cache chips with 15nS TAGS, even my Asus 386 ISA-386C (first board built and retail sold by Asus) has 20nS cache chips.
If still errors I would double check the BIOS settings as it might have cache speed/wait states set wrong.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 7 of 19, by stinkydiver

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks. The ram SIMMS are definitely all the same type (even when I swap them all out for another brand).

I'll give the sockets all a good soaking with ISO Alc.

The 386 cache chips which I was considering using as replacements are 25ns but the onces I removed from the board appear to be 15ns. Will 25's work?

BIOS is pretty minimal re settings. Will have another look over though.

Reply 8 of 19, by jakethompson1

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You're super sure on the turbo? Maybe put a spare jumper cap over the turbo connector and boot with that?
Those cachechk speeds are deplorable. It has nothing to do with megabyte 3 in particular.

Reply 9 of 19, by stinkydiver

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you good sir!

I put a jumper over the turbo pins and what would you know....cachechk is looking much better!

Now ill add the cache chips back in and see what happens!

Attachments

• IMG_8495.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_8495.JPG
    File size
    1.55 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 10 of 19, by stinkydiver

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

OK I reinstalled the cache. I seem to be frequently getting the XMS error at boot. Initially it was loading dos fine, other times it will error out..

Attachments

• IMG_8497.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_8497.JPG
    File size
    1.43 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
Last edited by stinkydiver on 2020-11-26, 23:08. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 11 of 19, by jakethompson1

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you reboot say 10 times and keep track of the address where it fails, what digits does the address end in? Looks like 4 in both your screenshots. This might be able to tell you which cache chip is bad

Reply 12 of 19, by stinkydiver

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok so I rebooted 10 times. The 10th time it booted fine. All other times I got the XMS errors with the following addresses (in order)

00166794h x3
001663d4h
00166310h x4
00166190h x2

When it does boot successfully and I run cachechk I get these results:

Attachments

• IMG_8496.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_8496.JPG
    File size
    1.56 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 13 of 19, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Horun wrote on 2020-11-26, 02:38:
LOL love the topic you chose: "Cache woes. Is it Faulty or is it the Motherboard being spastic?" Are all the ram SIMMS the exact […]
Show full quote

🤣 love the topic you chose: "Cache woes. Is it Faulty or is it the Motherboard being spastic?"
Are all the ram SIMMS the exact same ? If not could explain the "RAM at megabyte #3 is REALLY slow". Also try cleaning the simm sockets and simm edge contacts with ISO Alc.
You should also try the cache chips again, make sure you inspect each socket and then insert them firmly (press hard after carefully inserting), make sure you put them in correctly.
Before running any tests reset the BIOS to defaults. You have 25nS cache chips which require extra wait states at 33Mhz versus 20nS of many other boards.
Just checked and all of my 386 have 20nS cache chips with 15nS TAGS, even my Asus 386 ISA-386C (first board built and retail sold by Asus) has 20nS cache chips.
If still errors I would double check the BIOS settings as it might have cache speed/wait states set wrong.

These days on older motherboard i would recommend to use Deoxit D5.. I can imagine that after some time, sockets / contacts/slots having sort of corrosion

So i would recommend to save the bios rom first. Remove old battery, clean the motherboard *eventuelly in isopropa alcohol bath.. and using a tooth brush..
Then wait till the board is dry.. After that apply the deoxit d5 threatment.. And clean the legs of the ram chips / memory chip / isa slots..
After cleaning the board should work better.

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 15 of 19, by treeman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It could be a line form cache or memory losing connectivity, signal is lost sometimes and not others.

If you had a external programmer like a tl866 you could check the cache chips direct and rule them out

Reply 16 of 19, by jakethompson1

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
treeman wrote on 2020-11-27, 00:27:

It could be a line form cache or memory losing connectivity, signal is lost sometimes and not others.

If you had a external programmer like a tl866 you could check the cache chips direct and rule them out

I was going to suggest that, but I had a similar issue to this where all four chips passed the TL-866 II. I ended up narrowing it down to one of the chips and replacing it.

Reply 17 of 19, by stinkydiver

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It’s a pretty clean board to be honest. No signs of oxidation or corrosion. I’ll clean it some more regardless 😒

An external programmer is way out of my league at this point in my retro career. Maybe in a few years...

Does anyone know how to ascertain what KB size those 25 chips will be? There is no point in trying them if I cannot set the jumpers to the correct size settings on the motherboard.

Reply 18 of 19, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Looks to me like they are 64Kb chips, so you will have 64KB.

I think you should be good till a 25Mhz or 33Mhz FSB with those 25ns chips since the tag chip generally needs to be faster than the rest of the chips.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 19 of 19, by jakethompson1

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you *really* want to try the 64K chips just make sure you have the right tools, between removing 8 chips and inserting 8 chips something is bound to go wrong otherwise...

did you try swapping two of the cache chips as mentioned? it would be interesting to see if you can get the last digit in the failing address to change, that would indicate one of the chips you swapped was bad.