VOGONS

First post, by douglar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have some DOM & CF storage devices that support > UDMA2 and have 40 pin female connectors.

I am trying to attach the devices to controllers that check to see if they have 80 wire IDE cables.

When I connect those devices to these controllers, I see messages that indicate that the controllers are dropping back to UDMA2 because they don't detect a 80 wire cable.

But there is no cable because the devices directly connect to the adapters.

Speedsys and HWinfo reports match the BIOS messages. Fast controllers, Fast Drives, slow protocols.

Maximum Transfer Mode : PIO 4, DMA 2, UDMA 6 (ATA-133)
Selected DMA Transfer Mode : UDMA 2

or
Maximum Transfer Mode : PIO 4, DMA 2, UDMA 5 (ATA-100)
Selected DMA Transfer Mode : UDMA 2

The solution seemed simple enough. I put the storage devices on an 80 wire cable with a 2x40 header to convert Female to Female.

2x20-40-pin-male-header.jpg
Filename
2x20-40-pin-male-header.jpg
File size
8.09 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

I removed pin 20 because the cable didn't have that pin. I wasn't using it to power the adapters.

However the the bios HD detection hangs on the DOMs and the CF's don't detect either.

Looking at this, seems like pin 34 is the key: https://allpinouts.org/pinouts/cables/data_st … ata-66-100-ide/

Line 34 on the cable should be notched or cut (this may be difficult to see)... On the blue (controller) connector, pin 34 (CBLID-) is removed. This allows detection of the ATA-66 cable. Note that this signal is also called PDIAG- and is used to communicate self-test status from slave to master.

I tried pulling pin 34 from the header, but that didn't change anything.

I know the cable is good because it works with pata drives and sinitechi SD adapters.

Any suggestions? I must be doing something stupid.

Reply 1 of 5, by andrea

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Using those male-male pins won't work, because you end up switching the odd and even pins. (E.g. DOM pin 1 ends up on pin 2 on the cable, pin1 cable to pin2 DOM...).

For 80-wire detection you need to ground pin 34.
OVkaE56.jpg

Reply 2 of 5, by douglar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
andrea wrote on 2020-11-29, 12:48:

Using those male-male pins won't work, because you end up switching the odd and even pins. (E.g. DOM pin 1 ends up on pin 2 on the cable, pin1 cable to pin2 DOM...).

Thanks. That explanation was great.

I guess the only down side with that mod would be that the device won't work in a master/slave configuration any more, but that's probably not such a big deal when these devices sit directly on the adapter header.

Reply 3 of 5, by douglar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here's my UDMA mod for my CF adapter-- Soldiering isn't as nice as yours, but it was adequate I guess.

CF UDMA5 Mod.jpg
Filename
CF UDMA5 Mod.jpg
File size
108.59 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

I tested a Lexar Pro CF that supports UDMA 7 with a VT8235 onboard controller (AK39n) and a Matrox PCI ATA133 card.
The CF now negotiates UDMA5 instead of UDMA2, which is a boost. Thanks again for your help.
Would have been nice to see UDMA6, because the CF and the board should support that, but SPEEDSYS doesn't report that as an option,

I also moded a LeiDisk industrial DOM -- It now negotiates UDMA4, which is the best it can do.

DOM Udma5 Mod.jpg
Filename
DOM Udma5 Mod.jpg
File size
115.58 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

This guy is the next target. Has the exact same layout as the Leidisk, and they have the same controller chip as the hyper disk. Postest this picture to show what the flip side of the DOM looks like.

Onefavor DOM.jpg
Filename
Onefavor DOM.jpg
File size
173.17 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 4 of 5, by douglar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

p.s. those DOMs have a similar controller to the 32MB Transcend-PSD330.

The Doms had SM223TF-AC
While the Transcend-PSD330 had SM2236G-AC

Transcend-PSD330.jpg
Filename
Transcend-PSD330.jpg
File size
1.42 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 5 of 5, by ayandon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
andrea wrote on 2020-11-29, 12:48:
Using those male-male pins won't work, because you end up switching the odd and even pins. (E.g. DOM pin 1 ends up on pin 2 on t […]
Show full quote

OVkaE56.jpg

Thanks for the guide.
I used here -
Re: CF-Card DMA issue with my AMD K6-2 500 MHz SS7 Setup

I want to restore my late father's 1st ever computer IBM ET&T PC-XT that he gifted me.
Hope you will be kind enough to guide and support me to restore his loving memory.