VOGONS

First post, by egbertjan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I played carmageddon under dos 6.22 with my voodoo 2 8mb card. My voodoo 2 8mb card is unfortunately broken and I can get a 4 mb voodoo 1 card cheaply. Will I buy this card or continue to search for a new voodoo 2 card with 8mb or 12mb?

Is there a lot of difference between voodoo 1 and voodoo 2 in frame rate in Carmageddon?

Will I also notice a difference between 8mb or 12mb with a voodoo 2 card in carmageddon?

This is my PC
Processor: Pentium 1 socket 7 200MHZ MMX
Memory: 2 benches or 16 MB Edo ram
Video card: s3 trio64v2 / dx 2mb
Hard Disk: Barracuda ST330620A 7200rpm 2MB Buffer 30gb
Motherboard: VTECH 430VX 35-8258-03, socket 7
Sound Card: Creative Soundblaster AWE64 Gold

What can I do best in this case?

Reply 1 of 5, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Voodoo 2 performs better than voodoo 1 for carmageddon although you need a second patch which in my experience doesn't work as well as the original voodoo 1 patch (rare crashes, issues with music).
However on a pentium MMX system what will probably limit you the most will be the CPU.
This game has a strange way of scaling performance, and even with a Pentium II 450 with voodoo 2 SLI I couldn't run it at a stable 60FPS. A faster pentium 3 should probably handle it properly.

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 3 of 5, by Socket3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Deksor wrote on 2020-12-02, 00:27:

Voodoo 2 performs better than voodoo 1 for carmageddon although you need a second patch which in my experience doesn't work as well as the original voodoo 1 patch (rare crashes, issues with music).
However on a pentium MMX system what will probably limit you the most will be the CPU.
This game has a strange way of scaling performance, and even with a Pentium II 450 with voodoo 2 SLI I couldn't run it at a stable 60FPS. A faster pentium 3 should probably handle it properly.

^this was my experience as well. I found the game to be smoothest when running on a 700mhz pentium 3 or athlon. The game is quite playable on a 400MHz P2 or 500MHz K6-3, but will stutter occasionally. On a pentium MMX with a voodoo 2 it will stutter rather frequently, and on a early pentium (66, 90mhz, POD83) the framerate is quite low.

Reply 4 of 5, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I remember back in the day it ran well on a really budget oriented PC a friend of mine had. Something like a 333MHz Celeron, 64MB RAM and a Trio64V+ 1MB (I still have this one upgraded to 2MB with a donor card) without any dedicated 3D acceleration. So I don't remember Carmageddon as something difficult to run, but it was around 20 years ago.

However I have a vaguely similar PC as yours, but with a Voodoo 1. If I find the time I'll check how well it does in Carmageddon.

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png

Reply 5 of 5, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes carmageddon unaccelerated is definitely playable on low end systems (and even accelerated).
It may not be optimal but it's playable.

However if you're looking for 60fps+ you need a 700MHz CPU for some reason.

I ran it on a Cyrix mediagx 200 (basically a Cyrix 5x86 at 200mhz with a integrated GPU and sound card) and it was playable as well. I had to reduce the quality a little but it was playable.

So yeah not difficult to run, but has a really strange way of scaling, almost like you have to double your cpu performance to get 5 more fps

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative