VOGONS

First post, by majestyk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I recently bought a Socket 7 mainboard out of curiousity, because I had never seen this model "out in the wild" before.
It´s a baby AT form factor with Intel´s 430HX chipset.
A couple of components had been removed (like TAG-RAM, BIOS chip, battery holder, 2 resistors, a capacitor, a diode and one of the 5001C pulse width modulators in the CPU VRM section).
I replaced all the missing components plus the crappy electrolytic capacitors.

Since I don´t have the BIOS chip and wasn´t able to find a matching BIOS file, I ran a test with a 430FX BIOS. The mainboard starts fine and I can enter the BIOS setup, set the clock etc. It´s also running fine with a Pentiom MMX 233 with the multiplier set to x 1.5.
This FX BIOS however is no permanent solution, since for example it doesn´t address any Floppy drive. Although this board has a straightforward mounting with the two 430 HX chips, RAM and PCI/ISA slots and the standard interfaces, it uses the quite rare Acer ALI "M5123" super-IO which also controls the Floppy interface.

On the board there´s the model number "J-5HXA", on the bottom ISA slot there´s a sticker with the "Acorp" logo. The year of production is 1997. So it seems to be made by Jetway probably for the Acorp brand.

Does anybody here at Vogons know this board, have a BIOS file for it or any link where it can still be found?

(I don´t think a BIOS for some classic HX boards like ASUS P/I-P55T2P4 or Gigabyte GA-586HX will work, because they are using more common super-IOs.)

Attachments

• J-5HXA.JPG
    Filename
    J-5HXA.JPG
    File size
    245.24 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 1 of 16, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I found this : https://www.elhvb.com/supportbios.info/Archiv … 5HX4/index.html
Maybe the "A" was mistaken for a "4" by the guy who made this ?

Also, maybe you can help us document this motherboard here ? http://www.win3x.org/uh19/
A better photo would be appreciated (although this one is "ok"), and if you have any other piece of trivia please let us know 😀

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 2 of 16, by evasive

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

J-5HXA is perfectly possible it was marketed by Jetway itself as 656HXA

For which I have a bios
09/15/1998-i430HX-2A59FJ1AC-00
V.656HXA B02 09-14-1998

Attachments

Reply 5 of 16, by majestyk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks a lot everybody!

I just flashed the "5HX4.BIN" using an ISA floppy/IDE card. At boot it shows exactly the BIOS-string evasive mentioned.
Everything seems to work fine, the settings for USB, size of the cached area etc. are there, BUT no floppy detected.
-> "Floppy disk(s) fail (C0)"
I also completely cleared CMOS.
The ALI M5123 Super-IO also contains the keyboard controller - which is working. Maybe the BIOS needs some additional Info / driver to address the ALI floppy controller.
In the meantime I found 2 damaged traces from the IO to the floppy connector, resoldered them but there´s still no floppy detected.
There´s also no COM and LPT port detected (at least they are not shown as present in the summary screen) no matter if I set them to "AUTO" in BIOS setup or set IRQ and IO-ranges manually.

I will add a better picture and describe some details of this board later when everything´s fixed.

Reply 7 of 16, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Meanwhile it may be worth a shot at UH19 if you can't find your board because I'm 99% sure I already added a motherboard with that super io chip to the site (but can't remember the name)

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 8 of 16, by majestyk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There are some Abit boards using this chip like AB-PR5 and AB-AR5.

According to the datasheet this chip needs certain registers to enable the interfaces at starttime.
Here´s what´s in it:

M5123.JPG
Filename
M5123.JPG
File size
87.47 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Keyboard controller, ISA bus, Real Time Clock are working fine.

Reply 9 of 16, by evasive

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have another possible candidate, this time it's something with 430HX chipset AND ALi5123 I/O:

01/21/98-i430HX-ALi5123-2A59FA1EC-CS
IT5H -CS BIOS with patch for HDD to 128GB

Attachments

Reply 10 of 16, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well we have bios for the ABit PR5 http://www.win3x.org/uh19/motherboard/show/114
Does that work ?

Reply 11 of 16, by majestyk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks!
The Abit AB-PR5 has Intel´s 430VX chipset (not HX) and ALi Super IO.
The one for the Abit AB-IT5H could possibly do the trick. It has the 430HX chipset, ALi Super IO and a quite similar setup.
I will try it tomorrow.

Edit: Tried it today - shouldn´t have done that, the Abit BIOS won´t boot. Oops, sometimes it does. But the Abit "Soft CPU" menue is messing things up and the machine doesn´t reboot after changes have been made.
And still no Floppy, no COM1, no COM2, no LPT.
I´m starting to wonder if there´s some hardware related issue here, I don´t know the history of this board, maybe someone placed the floppy-connector at a wrong position...

Reply 13 of 16, by majestyk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have some good news here.

Since the first BIOS (5HX4.BIN) is definitely for the Winbond 877 super-IO while the one for Abit AB-IT5H supports 430HX but doesn´t interact with my Jetway board correctly, I finally tried the one for Abit AB-PR5. This is for Intel 430VX, so L2 cache won´t be stable and has to be disabled to boot from any disk. It also doesn´t detect EDO RAM.
BUT it seems to fully support ALi 5123 super IO!
COM and LPT ports are working plus the onboard floppyinterface is working also.
So this has been a BIOS issue all the time, not some hardware related issue.
The ALi M5123 super IO has everything except RTC and KBC disabled at start per default and needs a special string from BIOS to enter configuration mode and then enable the required interfaces.
The bad part: I still need to find the original BIOS, probably "2A59FJ1B".

Reply 14 of 16, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Since these bioses are modular I'm wondering if it's not possible somehow to take a i430HX bios and inject the super io part from the ABit bios. That could be a very interesting experiment to do as it could unleash very interesting projects for the future (like, fitting the newest known bios for i430HX chipsets with a greater CPU support and lack of hdd capacity limits on any motherboards) !

Reply 15 of 16, by Roman555

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
majestyk wrote on 2020-12-06, 12:24:

The bad part: I still need to find the original BIOS, probably "2A59FJ1B".

Probably you also can try a BIOS for Jetboard (J-Mark) 656HXA J-656 HXA.
It's pity the TC didn't upload any pictures of the motherboard to see a superio chip.
There's the BIOS on http://www.win3x.org/uh19/motherboard/show/3281

[ MS6168/PII-350/YMF754/98SE ]
[ 775i65G/E5500/9800Pro/Vortex2/ME ]

Reply 16 of 16, by majestyk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Unfortunately the 656HXA has a Winbond super-IO.

To compare the 5HX4 (430HX and Winbond super-IO) and Abit´s PR5 (430 VX and ALi M5123 super-IO) I opened both files in Award BIOS Editor 1.0 and most of the differences can be found in the "chipset registers" sections:

5HX4_reg.JPG
Filename
5HX4_reg.JPG
File size
60.09 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
PR5_reg.JPG
Filename
PR5_reg.JPG
File size
59.04 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Some registers are different and there are additional registers in 5HX4. These registers are probably addressing the Intel chipset (HX vs. VX) but maybe the registers for the IOs are also stored in this section (I couldn´t find another location so far).
So besides the fact that the checksum has to be adjusted after any changes, editing the entries without being sure what exactly I´m doing is not my cup of tea.
Any help / suggestions are welcome.