VOGONS

First post, by Cobra42898

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Going through a few PCs as I move them around. Most are either too old or not the right MB to support Coppermines. I found one that looks like it may be possible. My reference was this thread:

Intel-built 486/Pentium/PPro/PII motherboard guide

According to this, the MB I am picturing is a BX-3 not a BX-2 because it has 1 ISA not two. The reference thread posts no numbers to check revisions, so it's unclear if I can upgrade the CPU to a coppermine

the system is a gateway essential 400 TB3. I think it's the original mb/cpu combo.

im a collection builder, and a working coppermine Slot1 machine would fill a gap in systems that I'm missing. Is this upgradeable?

Attachments

Searching for Epson Actiontower 3000 486 PC.

Reply 1 of 7, by Cobra42898

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Found another loose MB. I want to say this was from another Essential, i think this was originally a 400mhz Celeron. 1 ISA here also. Any chance this would work?

Attachments

Reply 2 of 7, by Dmetsys

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You'd have to find a manual for those motherboards. The 440BX was capable of supporting Coppermine processors with later BIOS'.

A7N8X-LA | 2800+ | GeForce2 MX400 | Audigy 2 ZS
BE6-II 1.0 | PIII-933 | Viper 770 TNT2 | Live 5.1 Value
MS-5169 | K6-2 450 | Voodoo3 3000 AGP | AWE64 Value
P5A-B | P200-S | 64MB | MGA Millennium | Yamaha 719
LS-486E | Am5x86-P75

Reply 4 of 7, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Cobra42898 wrote on 2020-12-07, 01:24:

Found another loose MB. I want to say this was from another Essential, i think this was originally a 400mhz Celeron. 1 ISA here also. Any chance this would work?

The voltage controller shown in that photo is an SC1185CSW. The SC1185 datasheet shows it to support voltages down to 1.30V (so it covers the Coppermine range). There's also an SC1185A version of that chip (shown on the same datasheet) which has the same range of voltages supported but with tighter tolerances when operating in the Coppermine range. I don't know how the tolerance of the "non A" version compares with Intel's spec for Coppermines, but I don't expect you'd have any problem with it. Maybe it's less ideal than the "A" version though.

So it should be safe to plug a Coppermine CPU into it and see what happens(*). I don't know if it has BIOS support so it might still not boot.

* = Theoretically, if there was some sadistic wiring flaw in the motherboard then it could apply the wrong voltage despite having the correct voltage regulator, but I'm not aware any board with such a flaw has ever been found, and I really wouldn't worry about it with an Intel board.
Further, even voltage regulators that don't support Coppermine will normally just revert to 0V if they see a VID that they don't support, so no damage should be done even in those cases. But it's safer to check the regulator's datasheet just in case.

Attachments

• Filename
    sc1185.pdf
    File size
    124.53 KiB
    Downloads
    54 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 5 of 7, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'd expect the 2nd board (4000585 Gateway 'Jabil' / OEM Intel SE440BX-3) will support coppermines, either using a sloket or maybe actual Slot 1's but the 1st board (4000469 Gateway 'Tolstoy' / OEM Intel RC440BX) may be more of an issue, and may depend on exactly what BIOS version is installed (later revisions specifically blocked coppermine support at power-on with an 'unsupported processor' warning message).

The latest BIOS for the 'Jabil' board is on VOGONS Drivers

http://www.vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?file … menustate=30,29

Reply 6 of 7, by Cobra42898

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Okay I know it's been a few days, but I did some digging.

Most of the slot 1 PCs I have handy are from Gateway, so maybe what I am seeing is not necessarily the same at all OEMs, but most of the numbers on the regulators seem to support voltage low enough for Coppermine.

RC440BX- SC1182CS
SE440BX- SC1185ACSW
SE440BX(g6-266) - LTC1553CSW
SE440BX(broken, was 400Celeron) SC1185CSW
eMachine 500a, Napoli, (some form of 440BX SC1164CSW

Im fairly certain the emachine and the g6-266 will not support coppermine, but it seems the rest of the regulators stand a chance.

I guess at this point, I'll have to get a slot1 somewhere between 700-900mhz or so, and see if any of the bios revisions I have work out of the box, or if it refuses to start. I guess i don't have to worry about upgrading the bios on the g6-266, which i did to support larger HDDs.

Reply 7 of 7, by A001

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

My SE440BX-2 board revision is 720930-208 manufactured W51/98. Current P14 bios refuses to boot to OS (halts at post) with 700Mhz Coppermine. But the board does feature the SC1185 and specifically that model A. What should be the correct bios to make use of Coppermines?

E: A day of googling resulted in bios version P13. Detects the CPU, boots, and apparently feeds it precisely 1.65 volts? Win?

6voszPd.png

8vXkZeg.png

IMG_4382.jpg
Filename
IMG_4382.jpg
File size
93.23 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception